Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#511102 05/26/15 09:13 AM
B
boz Offline OP
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
B
Been reading a bit about the dutchman, Wim Hof, also known as the Iceman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wim_Hof

This is a man who claims he can modulate his immune system, and that it's possible to learn this.
If this is true, wouldn't it be of value to sufferers of chronic inflammation?
I think it's very interesting, any one else read/heard about his "Hof Method"?

Norway
boz #511104 05/26/15 12:28 PM
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Truthfully? While his technique may have some beneficial effect, and I have heard of people who can do some of this, you cannot cure autoimmune diseases through breathing, cold therapy or stretching. The beneficial effects of his techniques could easily come down to yoga/pilates/meditation - most of which can be learned through other, less expensive methods. His scientific breathing may be nothing more than training you to breathe using your whole lung, the way you did when you were a baby; or it may be a technique based in yoga.

I don't see anything truly harmful in this (but really, who with joints and muscles as impacted as ours would WANT to be immersed in cold water), but I rather doubt it's the be all, end all cure he claims.

Warm hugs,

Kat

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

boz #511131 05/27/15 07:32 AM
B
boz Offline OP
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
B
I am an avid meditater myself, and can honestly say that it has done great things for my mental healt. I do not personally believe you can cure autoimmune diseases with meditation, but it is proven by science, that it can reduce physical pain.

On a physical level, meditation:

Lowers high blood pressure
Lowers the levels of blood lactate, reducing anxiety attacks
Decreases any tension-related pain, such as, tension headaches, ulcers, insomnia, muscle and joint problems
Increases serotonin production that improves mood and behavior
Improves the immune system

Mental Benefits of Meditation

Anxiety decreases
Emotional stability improves
Creativity increases
Happiness increases
Intuition develops
Gain clarity and peace of mind

This is just a handful of the benefits of meditation. I would not pay for some "method" from anybody, i was just using him as an interesting example of what's possible.

Norway
boz #511132 05/27/15 01:00 PM
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Take a look at my post on Peter Winslow everything is free and you do not need to pay i penny i can provide you with the resources you need! Guided imagery and meditation is a huge part in his method for healing!

Last edited by Amrit_Singh; 05/27/15 01:01 PM.

Your not alone........ There's always hope!
Keep Strong, keep smiling and keep your head up.
Singh means LION!!! ROAARRRR!
Inanna #511133 05/27/15 01:07 PM
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Ianna i think your getting it wrong with the "CURE" stuff there is no such thing neither does Tim Hof or Peter Winslow claim to cure anyone they say it can dramatically improve symptoms and in the long term you will feel much better never has any of these people said they can CURE you!

I dont know why people are so obsessed with that word lol

Take care
Godl bless

Amrit_Singh #511135 05/27/15 03:23 PM
Quote:
neither does Tim Hof or Peter Winslow claim to cure anyone

Amrit, maybe you didn't read by quotes from earlier for some reason so I will repost them here. Winslow DOES claim to cure so please don't keep posting he does.

Quote:
In Heal for Real, health expert and healing coach Peter Winslow reveals the simple yet comprehensive program he used to cure himself from chronic pain, deep depression, deadly addictions and the degenerative autoimmune disorder called Ankylosing Spondylitis. An exciting and compelling read, Heal For Real provides a clear path to radiant health and well-being.

Quote:
Heal For Real
How I Healed from “Incurable” Conditions

I can't say enough about people who purposely take money from people based on fraudulent claims.

Thanks

Timo
Timo #511137 05/27/15 05:36 PM
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
He claims he cured HIMSELF "some call it a cure some call it a miracle some call it making peace with the disease" thats how much relief they get.

Not once did he say he will cure YOU or anyone else in fact the only thing he can guarntee is that his programe will reduce your pain by a minimum of 30% in 30 days.

WHAT MONEY? Do you speak off? He cant take anyones money without them putting their own details in. Everything i found was all free and im happy to share!

Fraud is when you pay someone and get ripped off but here NO ONE IS PAYING ANYTHING The programme i use is FREE (free) on his website so technically it is not fraud!

Last edited by Amrit_Singh; 05/27/15 05:40 PM.

Amrit_Singh #511153 05/28/15 02:31 PM
Amrit, you are entitled to your opinion. The techniques these salesmen discuss can be learned through other, free, methods.

Stress is a known 'exacerbator' of autoimmune disease. Indeed, stress relief techniques are taught by The Arthritis Society, the Arthritis Foundation and Arthritis Cares as being helpful in living with arthritis. Anything that helps you lower your stress levels and relax your muscles will help you feel better.

This is proved.

Warm hugs,

Kat

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

Amrit_Singh #513056 10/26/15 06:34 PM
Active_Member
Active_Member
I just came across two different interviews with Wim Hof and am now curious. Anyone interested in listening to them can hear them on the Tim Ferriss Podcast and the Joe Rogan Experience:
TFP - http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/09/07/the-iceman-wim-hof/ http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/09/07/the-iceman-wim-hof/
JRE - https://vimeo.com/143177440 https://vimeo.com/143177440

I'd been reading (and experimenting) with saunas and hot baths for pain management, but have been too much of a wuss to try cold therapy. While definitely not something I'd expect to work as a miracle cure, if it means I'm taking fewer pills and having better days, then I'm game.

everydaybattle #513058 10/26/15 08:56 PM
everydaybattle - has a good record of working - cryotherapy, and, working for `some` arthritic conditions, which includes AS. Really needs to be *total cold cabinet, 3 mins as far as I recollect.

Can do spot cryotherapy, but not efficacious as takes forever as one goes over small points of inflammation.

My physio is very keen to have a cryotherapy set up. But is v. expensive. There are three or four of them here in France and are also used in Germany. When my SIs are horribly painful or my lousy knee, I use cold. Put some cold water in a hot-water bottle, place in plastic bag, and put in freezer. Then apply to the inflamed area for 10 - 15 mins, as needed. (When real bad, I use in the car whilst driving, place cold bottle at small of back. Really does work). Can also use small hand towel. Wring out in cold water, put in plastic bag, put in freezer. Works particularly well for roundy bits as can mold towel to area !

Remember, heat will exacerbate inflammation...

IF have Reynaud`s Syndrome, then one cannot use the cold cabinet - no way, dangerous, very. So, not for me. But I can use the spot method.

Also see, the spondy research forum here on KA. I put up info on use of cryo in AS. Put in a search. I put up a few papers.

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 37 guests, and 118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,692 hmmm
1,319,572 OMG!!!!
709,183 PARTY TIME!