Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Topic Options
#510364 - 04/15/15 05:35 PM New & Diet
Stewart Offline
New_Member

Loc: UK
Hi, I am also a newbie to this site. I was diagnosed with AS when I was 30, I believe I have had it much longer. I am now 53. Having read a lot about AS when I was first diagnosed I just settled into the routine of good day, bad day, unbearable day and got by on my Anti inflammatory tablets (Indomisn). 20 Years in my condition has got worse and the current medication is being withdrawn 'too dangerous', which is fair enough. RT has given me Naproxen, which is useless, leaving me unable to walk. I have now ben offered TNF blocker 'Adalimumab' as a trial to see if this provides any benefits so that I can adjust to use the Naproxen. Ok, enough about my background the real question I have is on diet, having never modified mine I thought it worth a go. So I believe I have a low starch diet, however would like a second / third... opinion and some advice. I love bread, pasta, potatoes, cakes, etc.. I have just changed over to having a self made mix of Flaxseed, pumpkin seeds, Almond flakes, golden linseed and desicated coconut, with skimmed milk for breakfast + a few raisins, followed by an apple and a few grapes. For lunch it is plain salad, lettuce, carrots, sweet-corn, tomatoes and plain chicken or prawns, fresh orange juice and a pundit of grapes. For tea, scarmmbled eggs and ham. Some hard cheese and apple, later tyhe same as breakfast. In addition tea, coffee (no sugar) and diluted juice. I intend to swap the lunches between salmon, tuna, prawns and chicken. For evening meals I will include Steak, omlettes, lamb and chick with fresh vegtables. - Snacks will only be Brazil nuts or fruit.

#510373 - 04/15/15 10:18 PM Re: New & Diet [Re: Stewart]
Kleb_Slayer Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker

Loc: BC, Canada
Great that you're open to try different approaches to managing the AS beast.

Your food choices sound good - I'd definitely drop the corn however, and if you wanted to go further, with less starch even, drop the pumpkin seeds as well.

Raw carrots should be less starchy then cooked ones. I eat a little from time to time.

Make sure you get enough good fat in you diet, olive oil in salads, on greens, and then there's coconut oil, and butter.

Keep it up, hope you see some good results soon smile
Took LDN (4.5mg) between 2013 & 2015.

#510379 - 04/16/15 01:14 AM Re: New & Diet [Re: Stewart]
Stewart Offline
New_Member

Kleb Slayer, many thanks. Can I be clear on the 'dropping the corn'. I assume you mean don't mix in any corn / wheat e.g. pasta and bread. If I removed the carrots and pumpkins seeds, would I nearly be starch free? Also how long would you expect it to take to see any improvements - 2 weeks?

#510381 - 04/16/15 03:32 AM Re: New & Diet [Re: Stewart]
Staffy Offline
Apprentice_AS_Kicker

Loc: Oxford, England
Good luck, let us know how you get on.

I personally get next day flares consistently from orange juice, its one of my worst foods, so might be one to look at if you aren't getting any relief. But we are all different so what flares me may not flare you.

#510395 - 04/16/15 02:55 PM Re: New & Diet [Re: Stewart]
Stewart Offline
New_Member

Staffy, thanks for the advice. I did wonder about the juice so will try and remove this and see what happens. I have given myself an initial three weeks on this new diet in the hope for some improvements. I really don't want to stay off my favorite foods if there is no benefit.

#510676 - 04/29/15 02:20 PM Re: New & Diet [Re: Stewart]
Eska Offline

i think pumpkin seeds is got starch...also corn is got A LOT of starch. As much as Rice basically. Carrots got some starch too

#510677 - 04/29/15 02:22 PM Re: New & Diet [Re: Stewart]
Lon Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming
Stewart-If we have to read a label, then be sure it has some kind of starch to present the product. My gut feels better and the swelling goes down, but pain is everywhere unless I absolutely do not have anything that has been prepared by someone else.
in short, I seldom stick with no starch.

Lon

Moderator:  Dotyisle, Kiwi 
Who's Online
1 registered (Arindam), 126 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Headaches from Humira
by baileyo
08/15/17 06:43 PM
Dr. Reveille
by Tnate
08/11/17 12:27 AM
Various questions, and about Candida
by kj243
08/10/17 02:10 PM
updating account