Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
F
F
Not sure - I eat either 1 or 2 packages at a time. Not sure if it matters if its dried frown just posted that in case you live somewhere far from an Asian grocery and just wanted to order it.

Z
zark Offline OP
Colonel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
>> Is Natto low starch?

You know I haven't done the iodine test. I would guess it isn't.

>> Does it matter if it is frozen Natto? Or does it need to be fresh?

All I know is that my neighbours gave me fresh homemade Natto, which means it will be more lively and active than a frozen culture. Going by what others are saying .. the frozen Natto still works but I suspect you need to give it a bit more time for the microbe to establish itself.

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
Z
zark Offline OP
Colonel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
>> whats a safe amount to consume?

That depends on how sensitive you are to starch. If you are on the NSD start with a very small amount. I started with about a teaspoon. If you don't mind enduring your starch reaction for a little while then just eat the whole Natto package (several tablespoons).

"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
Z
zark Offline OP
Colonel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
So good to hear FredSonoma and MarkyT are having success laugh And it means we can have some decent level of confidence that Natto is what is helping all three of us.

Keep in mind that B. Subtilis / B. Natto needs to be fed once introduced to you gut. Its natural substrate is a legume - so consider resistant starches and fibre.

--== Things that can still trigger my AS ==--

Eating starch with too much fat / oil.
Especially if oil is integrated with starch, eg. deep fried. Quantity matters. My tolerance has improved a little over the last few months and I can eat 3 deep fried spring rolls without much issue.

Eating too much cheese.
This happened just the other week when I visited my parents. Ate too much cheese and AS pains returned briefly. It also set off inflammation in my prostate! Fungal issues are at play to some degree I believe. Avoid pizza - too much cheese!

Eating very large amounts of simple starches
For example a whole bowl of potatoes might cause an issue, particularly if I am not accustomed to it. Stay within reason. This is a secondary reason to avoid pizza (too much refined white flour and not enough fibre), but the cheese is the greater issue.

N
New_Member
New_Member
N
Hi Zark,

Your posts are an invaluable guide when maintaining bearings on the NSD/diet/supplement front. I found a product online that contains B subtilis and I wondered if you had any opinion on if it's similar to what you're taking. It's called Jarrow Formulas NattoMax. The link is below.

Thanks so much!
NSD Dude

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ECVFR0/

Last edited by nsddude; 05/09/15 01:25 AM.
B
boz Offline
Active_Member
Active_Member
B
I'm also interested in this. There is several natto supplements out there.

http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=natto#p=1

Norway
F
F
UPDATE:

While natto will definitely be something I go back to, I have been having some issues with it - and I decided to cut it out and all other starches for a while and I feel a little better. Basically, inconclusive about whether or not it's good and you need to try it yourself. BUT I STILL HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

EDIT: Also wanna say, importantly, that I never had any joint issues eating natto - just felt like it made my digestion worse in some ways (I would get really tired even after eating usually non-offending foods like blueberries)

Last edited by FredSonoma; 05/14/15 02:36 PM.
B
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
B
Hi frdsonoma
Thanks for the update. Can you tell us what you were eating while on the Natto? Every thing? How long did it take to kick in?
Thanks

F
F
Natto kicked in immediately: with it I was eating molasses, onions, broccoli, butternut squash, dates, EM-1 ( http://www.amazon.com/EM-1-Microbial-Ino...p;keywords=EM-1 ), and maybe some raw plantain or potato starch.

One thing to note - eating too much molasses or dates definitely gave me issues (both are high in iron). The EM-1 did seem to make a big difference - no bad smelling farts and feeling like [*bleep*] when I had the EM-1 with the natto. Also, just a note, without natto and EM-1, I couldn't not eat any of those foods written above.

Z
zark Offline OP
Colonel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Thanks for the feedback FredSonoma. In my case I don't really need to eat Natto regularly, it seems to have made itself at home in me.

>> just felt like it made my digestion worse in some ways (I would get really
>> tired even after eating usually non-offending foods like blueberries

Interesting frown sorry to hear that. Let me know if you start reacting to starch again - just don't overdo it wink Pizza is definitely out, everytime I eat too much of that I react (I blame the cheese)

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)