Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#507252 10/22/14 07:03 PM
S
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
S
Hello everyone

It has been some time since I have been to this site. You are always very helpful and filled with good advice. I just turned 60 and one of the items on my bucket list is to learn how to swim. I am in my fourth lesson and the progress is going very slow. Would you please offer some advice for a first time swimmer such as strokes, breathing, etc.? My spine is fused from top to bottom so, of course, I am limited. I am pretty active in other areas such as cycling, walking, weightlifting and other cardio exercises, however, learning to swim is throwing me for a loop. Thanks to any advice in advance.

Best,

Pat

C
C
Hello skinnycow
Good on you for getting on with your bucket list. And for staying so active. I learned to swim as an adult and then went on to compete reasonably competitively as a triathlete. I still squad swim 3-4 times a week. Four lessons is early early days. I imagine you are focussing on breathing as well as the basics of a stroke. In my mind the most important things to master are:
- breathing comfortably
- having a body position that is forward and down - it should feel like you're falling forward as you glide (or try your darndest to glide but in reality imitate a piece of flotsam - we've all been there).
So my tips are:
1. When you get in the water and before you start swimming, spend a minute or so bobbing up and down with your head out of the water and then submerged. Practice breathing in rhythm with this - breathe out under water, bob up (gently, rhythmically), take a breathe in, bob down, breathe out. Do this until you have comfortable, rhythmic breathing. I think it helps tremendously in making breathing more comfortable when you swim.
2. Think about stretching forward and falling downwards, chest-first as you stroke through the water.
3. Enjoy no matter how it feels!

Good luck.

S
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
S
This is exactly what I needed in terms of instruction. I'm still figuring out how to breathe and getting used to the feeling of falling forward. Thank you so much for your great advice.

Pat

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I don't swim anymore as it was really flaring my SI joint.

But when I did, I enjoyed it.

Freestyle was the hardest to do, so i did a lot of breast stroke (but probably the hardest kick for the SI joint) and back stroke (love back stroke, very easy, and of course breathing is easy since you are face up).

or using a kick board could be a good way to start.

as i said, i did freestyle, but was the most challenging.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Royal_AS_kicker
Royal_AS_kicker
Originally Posted By: skinnycow
Hello everyone

It has been some time since I have been to this site. You are always very helpful and filled with good advice. I just turned 60 and one of the items on my bucket list is to learn how to swim. I am in my fourth lesson and the progress is going very slow. Would you please offer some advice for a first time swimmer such as strokes, breathing, etc.? My spine is fused from top to bottom so, of course, I am limited. I am pretty active in other areas such as cycling, walking, weightlifting and other cardio exercises, however, learning to swim is throwing me for a loop. Thanks to any advice in advance.

Yay Pat!!! cheerleader

My only advice is to take it slow and use a lot of time to warm up and cool down. I learned how to swim with AS as well, and I have to say that YouTube has really helped me. That’s how I learned to flip turn. roll

Please join us in the KickAS FITNESS TEAM !

We will cheer you on as you go! clap 1cup cheerleader

ANA+ RF+ Rh- HLAB27+
Dx JRA 1967, GAD 1997, AS 2009, HMs 2010, CPS 2013
pulmonary edema w/ NSAIDS 2009

Movin' it so I don't lose it!

S
New_Member
New_Member
S
Hey Pat!

Congrats on learning to swim. I learned to swim as an adult - I think it's a lot harder than learning as a kid.

I learned with the Total Immersion method of swimming - you can look them up on Google. Total Immersion specializes in teaching adults.

Breathing is difficult - no doubt about it. The way that Total Immersion teaches breathing is by starting with drills where you rotate to face the sky when you need to breathe. So you will literally flip up and take a few breaths. When you are ready to swim again, you will rotate face down and take a few more strokes. When you need to take a breath, you rotate up again.

After a while, you get proficient so that you don't need to rotate all the way. It is definitely an evolution.

One tip I can offer is to make sure that you are looking straight down while you swim. Then, when you rotate your head to breathe, your mouth will be closer to the surface of the water. One mistake that a lot of beginners make is that they look forward as they swim. Then when they rotate their heads to breathe, their mouths are below the water line (because your mouth is at the bottom of your head).

Hope this helps!

Mike

M
Active_Member
Active_Member
M
Speaking as a life-long competitive swimmer, I have only a few pieces of advice:

1) Swim in it; don't drink it. And definitely don't try to breathe it.
2) Inhale when your mouth is OUT of the water. Exhale when your mouth is IN the water. If you are exhaling when your mouth is out of the water, you are wasting perfectly good inhalation time.
3) Practice, practice, practice.

L
Lon Offline
L
Mike- so very true, yet also just a real hoot- as I thought back to the mis-steps the flops and strokes that went wild. I an too stiff to get my face into the air.. so I stay where I can stand up after swimming face down across the pool.

thanks again for the memories and the reminder to not drink the water!!

Ah, I love it here!

I keep the New Covenant,
when I fail....I am pulled
back into place by HIM.
Veteran_AS_Kicker
Veteran_AS_Kicker
You could maybe bring a Wilson volleyball with you to hold onto for extra floatation. Just learn to float first, keep you lungs as full as possible with shallow breathing, and lay on your back and use your arms and legs as needed. Then learn to swim under the water also, it may actually be easier to start with. Have fun with it and good luck.

Supreme_AS_Kicker
Supreme_AS_Kicker
I'm not a strong swimmer, so a little fearful of the water and getting in over my head. On several vacations to Hawaii, the people told us of the beautiful fish in the waters and that snorkling is so easy. Even bobbing in buoyant salt water was too much for me, so we got a foam pool noodle which I put under my armpits. That wouldn't work for strokes, but a buoyant vest might help.

DX: Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Psoriasis
Meds: MTX since Oct 2009, 15mg/week. Cimzia-restarted after 2 yrs away.
Epidural Steroid Injections x8; Lumbar Radiofreq Ablation x2
SIJ Steroid Injection x3; Bilateral Radiofreq Ablation SIJ x9
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  fyrfytr187, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (haydenk, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM