Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Originally Posted By: dlee
My Rheumy told me a while ago that AS apparently burns itself out sometime around age 40 (I'm now 40). I'd never heard of it and I've haven't found anything conclusive that backs this up.

This is "old school" thinking for AS. Rheumies told my father the same back in 1970´s...

The thinking behind this is that joints fuse and you can no longer use them... this lessens the pain. However.. depending on the type of mechanical damage created, it could result in more pain.

My father fused upright in back and neck... in his case it did "burn itself" out a bit. He still lived with back stiffness.. but he did not have the terrible back pain as when he was younger with AS and before fusing.

My SIs were huge issues early on with AS as well... both are fused so do not bother me as much either as in my first several years with AS. My right SI can still act up... but I think I have other damage from basketball injuries there as well and complicates the joint as well.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
D
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
Yeah I thought as much.

Diagnosed AS year 2000 age 26; First onset of major symptoms came with severe food poisoning leaving me in chronic pain hardly able to walk/sleep/sit - never been the same since; HLA-B27 positive; bouts of iritis; no biologics ever, controlling with NSAID's and diet but trying to get off NSAID's through various "biohacking" experimentations; Live in Auckland, New Zealand
Z
zark Offline OP
Colonel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
I posted this on my blog this morning, and it gives me hope that maybe... maybe I have found the cause of my remission. And it isn't old age ;-)

"This week I stopped eating Natto to see if my eczema would clear, and unexpectedly my sensitivity to starch returned ! I had a full blown reaction after eating some hummus. Last night I started eating the Natto again and lo and behold my Ankylosing Spondylitis is calming down again. It is now about a tenth of what it was seven hours ago, normally it would take about 36 hours more for it to reduce this much."

So I think Natto is the main reason I wasn't reacting to starch!?! I still suspect the Lufenuron helped too though.. will keep you guys updated on this as it will take time to build up some confidence about what is contributing.

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
Keep us posted! I have enjoyed reading about your triumphs over starch!

Another possibility could be you were able to tolerate it all for a bit, before your system broke back down, and then BAM,the AS is highly active again!? I think this is what happened to me with experimenting with sticky rice, at first I was eating it without any problems, and loving every bite, this lasted a few weeks, then BAM, major flare erupted a few weeks later during my continued exploits with sticky rice (and glutinous rice flour). Now I am terrified to go near it. (It was a horrific flare up too, like a vice crushing my chest, making breathing and living generally hard, so I fled to the Montana radon mines, which thankfully as I sit here today, I am back to a pretty good state again, but it was very terrifying there for a bit)

Though maybe the Natto is good stuff too, and it really was working! Could very well be that too. It's so hard to tell sometimes, except after more trial an error.

Anyhow, keep us posted, I am vicariously living through you as you eat all that starchy stuff again!!!

xx

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
Z
zark Offline OP
Colonel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Yep looks like it is the Natto guys smile Back to eating starch again

"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
D
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
Hi Zark,

There's a little tiny bit about how Natto in here. (full article below)

"natto (a strong-smelling, sticky bean product), which have been fermented with strains of the bacterium Bacillus subtilis. These bacteria lower the phytic acid content of these foods. "

They're talking about eating it alongside Tofu if you must eat Tofu which is what the Japanese apparently do.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/articl...-surprises.html

Diagnosed AS year 2000 age 26; First onset of major symptoms came with severe food poisoning leaving me in chronic pain hardly able to walk/sleep/sit - never been the same since; HLA-B27 positive; bouts of iritis; no biologics ever, controlling with NSAID's and diet but trying to get off NSAID's through various "biohacking" experimentations; Live in Auckland, New Zealand
G
G
thank you. I started the ACV 2 weeks ago. I am going to order the lufenuron. I will def try the natto as well. thanks again. Im happy it is working for you

Z
zark Offline OP
Colonel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Thanks dlee smile

Hey Gerry, let me know how you go. You can post here, or use the "contact me" link in my sig if you want to chat privately

S
New_Member
New_Member
S
Does anyone have any updates on this? Is the Natto still causing you to be able to eat starch? Has anyone else tried this? If it works, that would be amazing...

M
New_Member
New_Member
M
Zark and I'm very curious to.... how things are going with natto ??
do you still keep your opinion about natto reducing pain and inflammation ?

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!