Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
nukesul #189449 03/30/05 04:01 PM
E
Senior_AS_Kicker
Senior_AS_Kicker
E
the group has gone through a number of rounds on these questions. I will point you to some of my previous posts that contain links to medline abstracts or full text articles from the medical literature which contain information bearing on the controversial nature of the molecular mimicry theory

I hope that posters that respond to this post will refrain from personally attacking other posters or attacking authors of these scientific studies. It is my hope we can agree to disagree respectfully.

recent previous post is here
https://www.kickas.org/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=180018&page=&vc=1
[note that the links within this post to additional previous posts under heading number three are broken, this is the result of the move of the board to the new host; the rest of the links to medline abstracts or to full text articles should work fine]

older previous post is here
https://www.kickas.org/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=53351&page=&vc=1

the 1999 Ringrose review article covers aspects this controversy in some depths, and the full text of this review article is now available on line
http://ard.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/58/10/598
Ringrose JH.
HLA-B27 associated spondyloarthropathy, an autoimmune disease based on crossreactivity between bacteria and HLA-B27?
Ann Rheum Dis. 1999 Oct;58(10):598-610. Review.
PMID: 10491358

Last edited by Evelyn; 03/30/05 04:08 PM.
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
To JC and John, I recognize that this issue is a hot one that seems always to make tempers flare. God knows, I know that. By all means, disagree with one another. We all have that right and it is to be encouraged in a forum of thinking people. Indeed, were it otherwise, I would worry. However, please let's not turn what has been to this point a respectful discussion into an argument, OK? If you want to argue, why not take it private. Please?

Hugs to both of you,

Kat

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

Evelyn #189451 04/01/05 02:19 PM
E
Senior_AS_Kicker
Senior_AS_Kicker
E
here are recent articles discussing YET A DIFFERENT form of molecular mimicry: between a viral-derived peptide and a self-peptide, and its relation to the development of spondyloarthropathy:

these articles discuss or present the new observation that a peptide (RRRWRRLTV) derived from the Epstein Barr virus (EBV) - the virus associated with mononucleosis - can be bound by HLA B27 subtypes in more that one conformation, and that this may allow differential immune recognition and activation of the immune response in a HLA-B27 subtype-specific manner. It is noted that this Epstein Barr-derived peptide displays substantial homology with the self peptide (RRRWRRWHL)derived from the vasoactive intestinal peptide receptor type 1-this self peptide
is also observed to bind to HLAB27 subtypes in more than one conformation.

reviews/commentaries:

http://www.rheuma21st.com/archives/report_050225_hlab27.html

http://immuneweb.xxmc.edu.cn/wenzhai/pdf/007205.pdf

http://www.jem.org/cgi/content/full/199/2/151

original research reports:

http://www.jem.org/cgi/content/full/199/2/271

http://www.jbc.org/cgi/reprint/M410807200v1

http://www.jci.org/cgi/content/full/106/1/47

I hope that posters that respond to this post will refrain from personally attacking other posters or attacking authors of these scientific studies. It is my hope we can agree to disagree respectfully.

Last edited by Evelyn; 04/01/05 07:42 PM.
Evelyn #189452 04/04/05 09:40 AM
N
nukesul Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
N
Thanks for the great discussion although I would be lying if I said it helped. The bottom line is I doubt I could stick to as tough a diet regimen as suggested on this site especially when I harbour doubts and can see no correlation in the amount of starch I eat and how I feel. When I look at how I eat I realize that starches make up a part of just about every meal. I wouldn't know where to start and the thought of giving up my homemade pizza (served with copious quantities of malt beverages) is almost too much to consider. I loved the links in the last few posts. I only wish I could understand what the h___ they are saying.
I've actually been doing somewhat better over the last couple of weeks. I'm giving credit to improved weather although again I have no idea. It certainly wasn't a change in diet. Hopefully as the weather improves I can get myself out and more active again.

Cheers

bilko #189453 04/04/05 10:34 AM
B
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
B
No, no and no!

'Then you should say what you mean,' the March Hare went on. 'I do,' Alice hastily replied; 'at least - at least I mean what I say - that's the same thing , you know.' 'Not the same thing a bit!' said the Hatter.
nukesul #189454 04/04/05 07:05 PM
Hi there, I had to chuckle as I read your post. I remember only too well how difficult it was (and has been, to be honest) to make the dietary changes. Good god, when my naturopath told me I was to cut cow dairy from my diet, I thought my life and enjoyment of food was over. I mean, ice cream hoggery is embedded in my families' DNA for crying out loud!! Not to mention pasta without parmesan, pizza without cheese. No more tomatoe and cheddar sandwiches. ACK!!

And then, after six months, when I thought she would allow me to reintroduce some cow dairy, she instead told me to now eliminate wheat from my diet. Hell, how cruel is that. Not only do I not get cheese on my pasta and pizza and sandwiches anymore, I don't get pasta, pizza or sandwiches at all period!

All I can say is thank god for rice pasta and rice flour. I'm still not used to rice flour breads or pizza crusts (not the same in the slightest), but at least I can have them the odd time. When I'm desperate enough, that is, to endure a rice crust pizza with goat cheese on it.

But I don't regret (much) making the changes to my diet and goodness knows, I do cheat. And pay for it later.

That said, a low starch, or heaven forbid in my case, a no starch diet isn't for everyone. Doesn't work for everyone who tries it, either. But I'm glad you asked your question. Your decision got me to thinking back to when I was first introduced to dietary changes. Gave me the opportunity to re-evaluate the changes I've made and whether or not they were worth it.

Thanks,
Hugs,

Kat

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
>> Apparently, you think that our members are not very intelligent, so they must need your editorializing
>> and characteristic interpretations (and adulterations) of my statements

yeah, i've seen that stuff happening..

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
nukesul #505422 07/26/14 09:38 PM
N
New_Member
New_Member
N
Well, gluten causes inflamation, so minimum, stay away from that

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (haydenk), 62 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM