Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#504391 - 06/19/14 08:54 PM I can eat starch again
zark Offline
Colonel_AS_Kicker

Loc: NSW, Oz
I am a little anxious about posting this and that is perhaps why I have waited before posting..What if the reaction starts again next week? What if I am wrong about what caused the remission? I have had past periods of remission in which I could tolerate starch, and the main ones that come to mind are Ginkgo Tea, and Bromelain/protease enzymes. Both of these only lasted about 2 weeks before they stopped working, and in both cases I had to continually take the tea/pill in order to get continued relief.

So here it is - It has been almost a week, six days to be precise, and I have been eating starch every day. My AS is staying inactive! I don't know how long this remission will last but actually it looks like it has been over a month - as I ate some starchy food whilst I was in Fiji and the only reaction was fatigue, but no pain. There was also the lack of a reaction much earlier in the year, but it was only a single potato chip so not much of a test, on the other hand normally I would have had a major reaction to even that one chip. So at the very least I was on the road to mending at that point in time.

I have been doing this diet for so long that I can't remember the exact year anymore when I started - and I can't find the original posts when I made the connection between diet & inflammation.. and it was John who pointed me in the right direction from there on. Looks like that post it is lost in a forum upgrade at some point?

Well I would like to say... Thank you John! Your tireless service is priceless. You gave me my life back.

At this link I have posted more details on this period of remission, including what things I suspect to have triggered it:
http://auto-immune-diet.blogspot.com/2014/06/remission-mayjune-2014.html
Looks like it is probably Lufenuron, but I have also been taking mountain pepper and ACV.

I still remember years ago I was in our family dining room, I think I was looking at some croissants or cake laying on the table, and telling my mother that I would beat this damned disease and one day be able to eat these foods again. Never underestimate a determined spirit.
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)

#504397 - 06/20/14 02:59 AM Re: I can eat starch again [Re: zark]
dlee Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
That's great news! I'm going to have a good read of your blog over the weekend. You've given me another little something else to look into that I have yet to try as well....Lefenuron.
Diagnosed AS year 2000 age 26; First onset of major symptoms came with severe food poisoning leaving me in chronic pain hardly able to walk/sleep/sit - never been the same since; HLA-B27 positive; bouts of iritis; no biologics ever, controlling with NSAID's and diet but trying to get off NSAID's through various "biohacking" experimentations; Live in Auckland, New Zealand

#504401 - 06/20/14 09:39 AM Re: I can eat starch again [Re: zark]
MORPHEUS Offline
New_Member

Loc: Focsani,Romania
Congratulations, after long and tiring battles you won to war, I hope you'll continue to share your experiences whit us.

#504412 - 06/21/14 12:18 AM Re: I can eat starch again [Re: zark]
zark Offline
Colonel_AS_Kicker

I still can't quite believe it. Who knows how long this will last. I just had some potato and leak soup, and a little bit of pastry this morning. Had a little brief tummy pain after the soup so I better limit it just in case. .. And really sleepy now, but otherwise no issues.
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)

#504414 - 06/21/14 01:11 AM Re: I can eat starch again [Re: zark]
FormerFoodie Offline
Warrior_AS_Kicker

Loc: SF Bay Area, California, USA
Congrats! laugh

I'm very jealous. I've been on the diet since 2009 and I'm super strict. Unfortunately, I need to follow the diet rigorously in order to be asymptomatic. A very small amount of starch sets me back. frown

I hope your remission lasts! The best thing about it is that if symptoms come back, you now know what to do.

#504417 - 06/21/14 11:15 AM Re: I can eat starch again [Re: zark]
DragonSlayer Offline
AS Czar

Loc: Reno or SFLU Philippines

Hey, Zark--

Well, the appreciation works both ways--You have certainly helped many with Your blog, and encouraged me to continue with the discussion, so Thank You!

I never say 'never again,' so the explanation is easy enough--that Your tract has healed quite well. Certainly, I can eat all the starch I want now, also, and I do not need any of it, for the weight gain. Since I have gotten gout, I have been eating more starches, putting on weight. Well, I'm old so it does not matter that much now.

Perhaps it does not take antibiotics to eliminate the major Klebsiella colonies, but I always thought there were more complex issues; now if Your tract has much more Klebsiella, perhaps these are just not getting to trigger Your secondary immune system, but whatever the mechanism I am very happy for You, and add hopes for Your continued good fortune.

I am always scared as hell about triggering another terrible episode of iritis, so constantly on the lookout for hints and signs--wish we had better early warning capabilities. My ESR remains between 2 and 9 so I suppose that I no longer have AS (rather no longer have 'active' AS).

This is the freedom we should all look forward to, and we are proof it can be achieved.

Kick AS,
John

Professor Ebringer: On Diet and AS;

RED ARROW --> Philippines

#504512 - 06/23/14 02:18 PM Re: I can eat starch again [Re: zark]
Dotyisle Online   content

Loc: Rosario, Argentina
Hello Zark,

Congrats to you! I started posting in March, 2002 and started diet at that time as well. I recall you as long time poster and your join date at Kickas is a month after me... so I would guess somewhere in that time.

Tim

KONK - Keep ON Kicking

#504537 - 06/23/14 10:20 PM Re: I can eat starch again [Re: zark]
zark Offline
Colonel_AS_Kicker

Thanks guys smile

John - I agree. I think the Klebsiella is still there, but by getting rid of fungi/candida in the gut I may have allowed the gut to heal. Candida can poke holes in our gut.. and by killing it, this means the Klebsiella antigens are no longer getting into the blood stream where they make a mess of the immune system.

When I look over the things I have been using, they are all antifungal:

* Lufenuron - inhibits production of chitin cell walls which Candida/Fungi need to survive
* ACV - I see people use this on EarthClinic for Candida
* Mountain pepper - contains Polygodial a known antifungal also found in Horopito
* Natto - I didn't work this out until today, but Natto is a culture made from B. Subtilis, and this microbe is famous (infamous?) for its antifungal abilities.

#504538 - 06/23/14 10:26 PM Re: I can eat starch again [Re: zark]
zark Offline
Colonel_AS_Kicker

Tim - I can't work it out. My recollection is it took quite a while for me to come around and accept that the NSD worked. I know that years back I posted about my experience with fasting (and food poisoning) in the main kickas forum, at which point John pointed me in the right direction re NSD. Not sure but I think that post may have been lost with forum upgrades??.. I think they lost a few days worth of posts at the time of the upgrade?

#504629 - 06/26/14 09:37 AM Re: I can eat starch again [Re: zark]
Gerry369 Offline

Loc: philadelphia
congratulations, this forum is great. I love reading about people beating AS.
I have been NSD for about 14months with pretty good results. It took about 6 months to see results. Could you recommend where to get Lufenuron? I really miss running. I just don't have the glucose stores to maintain my old running routine.I Would like to give it a shot.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 122 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Steroid
by light
Yesterday at 10:31 AM
boswellia
by light
06/22/17 04:55 PM
enthesitis
by light
06/20/17 09:01 PM
NSD not working due to hormonal changes?
by chpritz
06/19/17 03:45 PM
Lon, are you ok?
by rumble
06/17/17 11:35 PM
Funtional Medicine
by jay_bharat
06/16/17 03:12 AM
Fecal transplants
by IamGrateful
06/15/17 03:11 PM
(Views)Popular Topics