Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
T
I was going to try garlic but worried abt the starch... Its also a fodmaps, but u guys seem ok?

How about ginger root? It's not on the list

Speaking of the list, the starch content is listed in grams. So, to be nsd, what is the max grams per meal and per day to consume to be in the "nsd zone"? Zucchini has 0.1gram,yet garlic is 14g

Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
>> yet garlic is 14g

Ahhh yes, well, garlic is really all about inulin and FOS. It isn't strictly speaking a starch, but it is a long-ish chain of carbohydrate units. It really depends on your gut flora whether or not you will ferment it correctly, and whether it will be safe or not. I had to gradually introduce it in order to build tolerance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inulin

>> are the veggies u listed as safe cooked or raw?

In my case cooking doesn't really make a difference. Some people do have issues though..

>> Nightshade veg don't bother u?

Absolutely not.

>> How do u do with Butternut squash? Pumpkin seeds? Coconut butter/milk?

We call butternut squash a pumpkin over in the land of oz.. yes I can eat it when in season, but sometimes it is too starchy. Have to test it with iodine tincture after cooking as the reaction varies a great deal.

Pumpkin seeds - I eat them without issue. Just the seed, not the outer shell.

Coconut - everything coconut is fine by me.

>> Fermented foods like Kraut and Apple cider vinegar?

Generally cultured foods are pretty good. Kraut, yes definitely good for me.

Apple cider vinegar I started taking recently to help heal a prostate issue after reading about it on earthclinic.com .. it worked quite well smile No problems as far as AS.

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
Originally Posted By: TeenyBee
How about ginger root? It's not on the list

Ginger root is natural anti-inflammatory... I have also read it is natural antibiotic for klebsiella.

I have to be careful with it.. it is also a blood thinner just like NSAIDs I would get bloody noses more easily if I used it often.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
T
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
T
There is something I'm eating that is flaring me and idk what. My veggies include zucchini, red radish, daikon radish, Brussel sprout, broccoli, and I spice things with grated ginger root and cayenne pepper and pink salt.

I iodine tested these and found ginger to be starchy. Also starchy is Cacao and white pepper. Is cayenne ok? What is causing me to flare? By the end of the day, I cant walk bc my legs hurt

Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Sorry for the belated response!

Originally Posted By: bcho1971
how did you notice that the garlic helped

It didn't address my spondy issues, but it definitely seemed to help candida issues. In general, I believe that of the various natural anti-fungals I tried, my consumption of raw garlic led to the most die-off symptoms/conditions. For me, the symptoms I attribute to die-off are consistent skin irritation, bloating, and gas. I also tried oil of oregano and clove oil, but I feel that the raw garlic was the best because it consistently led to symptoms I listed above.

Quote:
Isnt it starchy?

I believe it is. It certainly tests positive with iodine. However, for one reason or another, I have never had a problem with garlic. Raw or cooked.

Quote:
what is your diet like today? did you reintroduce fruit again?

I've been doing this diet since late spring 2009. I did reintroduce (some) fruits last year. The only fruits I will eat are blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and Concord grapes. I will only eat them in season, and preferably buy them directly from the farmer. While the fruit consumption didn't create any spondylitis flares, I realized that I just liked the way I felt when I didn't eat any fruit. So today, while I could eat more fruits, I really don't go out of my way to do so.

One of my data points is that since I've been on this diet, I've only been sick twice. While I mainly eat this way for spondy, I've benefited in so many other ways that I'm no longer interested in eating many of the things I used to.

Hope that helps!

"But I also have to say, for the umpty-umpth time, that life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all." -- from William Goldman's _Princess Bride_
T
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
T
Are clementine oranges ok if i have candida and klebsiella? I'm seriously running out of food... Everything makes me flare. Raw veg, I cant digest. Cooked veg digests better, but I guess many turn starchy??? I need help... I'm in so much pain (either my gut or my muscles/joints) and I'm so frustrated

T
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
T
Cayenne pepper ok?

T
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
T
I iodine tested Brussel sprouts... Immediately turned black. So sad frown red radish and daikon and zucchini come back safe.

What other veg are ok cooked? Broccoli? Green beans? Cabbage? Which do u eat? I don't want to go to the store and waste money again

K
K
I know, it can be so frustrating! I live in the north, so I find this time of year I have to test everything fruit and veggie every time I buy it, to make sure it's safe. Much easier in the summer when I can go to farmer's markets and get ripe produce.

So far, we've had good luck with asparagus, broccoli, some cabbage as long as lightly steamed or sauted for cooking. Also zucchini and summer squash have been ok, but my daughter doesn't like them, eggplant, or tomatoes. Carrots, peppers, and cauliflower are usually better if not cooked for us. Also we add kale and/or baby spinach raw into our salad, and I make kale chips for myself for a salty snack.

I think with spices in general you have to iodine check them, because they put in "anti-caking" agents. Whether cayenne is starchy on its own, or a trigger because of the extra is hard to say. I think the food diary idea mentioned before is probably the best way to figure some of it out.

Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
TeenyBee - not everyone reacts to cooked veg. I really think you shouldn't avoid them until you are stable, have reduced pain, worked out a meal plan you are happy with.

I think you should follow Dragonslayer's suggestion here and dilute your iodine to 0.5% - your iodine is most likely quite strong and reacting to foods that have less than 1% starch.
https://www.kickas.org/ubbthreads/ubbthre...true#Post491158

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 99 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella