Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Little_Katy #501276 03/10/14 06:38 AM
S
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
S
Welcome, Katy!

I'm sry you're going through this, but I'm glad you got diagnosed and can start proper treatment. It's hard being ill at any age, but I think it's particularly hard to start so young. I'm in my mid 20s, and I've been having arthritis symptoms for about a year and a half, so I understand what you're going through being a young adult with a scary illness. But, you'll get through this mess, and hopefully you'll be better for it. Just take it a day at a time, and try not to worry about the future because you're doing all you can.

I'm also on similar meds as you. 1 meloxicam a day and 4 sulfasalazine. The medicine has really helped me and I've been on it for about 6 months with no side effects. Diet has also helped, just as much as the meds. I avoid dairy, gluten, processed foods (basically paleo diet) and I try to keep the starch to a minimum (it's really hard though).

Everything is okay. Trust yourself, and do not live from a place of fear.
Little_Katy #501287 03/10/14 08:42 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Not ready to totally jump into a diet like no starch but I have increased several foods that are suppose to fight inflammation and that helps. Probably because these good for you food replace some not so good for me foods.

It is so weird encountering so many other young people with this. I really felt alone. Everyone in my doctor's office is definitely not in my generation, so that makes me feel so out place.

I read your other post about your diagnosis. I hope they get that all figured out. I guess that name does not matter because all the treatments are about the same, but having that diagnosis does settle your hear.

Congrats on your wedding. It is encouraging to hear you found someone who will stick in with you. My boyfriend broke up with me shortly after I started treatment six months ago. I think it all overwhelmed him. Really have not told too many friends since. So this place is nice. Have a blessed day.

Little_Katy #501299 03/10/14 09:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Little_Katy
Not ready to totally jump into a diet like no starch but I have increased several foods that are suppose to fight inflammation and that helps. Probably because these good for you food replace some not so good for me foods.

From my personal experience... I really do not think there are any foods that "fight" inflammation, but do agree if you eat healthy and not the normal American diet, it should help some.

Get rid of processed food, junk food, soda and limit alcohol.

Emphasis on veggies, fruits and whole grains if you do eat starch and wise choices for meats.

Best to you,

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
Little_Katy #501314 03/11/14 03:50 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Yes I kind of thought that was the case. Fruits, vegibales, nuts and whole grains is what I have increased in my diet. These have replaced more processed foods. I also eliminated all artificial sweetners and sodas. I never drank alcohol so that was easy.

Dotyisle #501355 03/12/14 04:14 PM
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Originally Posted By: Dotyisle
Originally Posted By: Little_Katy

From my personal experience... I really do not think there are any foods that "fight" inflammation, but do agree if you eat healthy and not the normal American diet, it should help some.

Get rid of processed food, junk food, soda and limit alcohol.

Emphasis on veggies, fruits and whole grains if you do eat starch and wise choices for meats.

Best to you,

Tim

I do think that maybe fish oil, ginger, and turmeric could help inflammation?

Not exactly "food" but in food.

Katy, for me, I'm sensitive to casein protein in milk the way others are sensitive to gluten. Going dairy free has been helpful. I still need my meds, but dairy free has been helpful, especially helpful to the gastritis.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Little_Katy #501371 03/12/14 10:55 PM
Pea Offline
Captain_AS_Kicker
Captain_AS_Kicker
Welcome to the board Little Katy and Muk! Thank's for your story Little Kathy. I'm sure sorry you both have this disease but I'm glad you found us. Lot's of helpful info. here with some great people on here. As away. We may have been asked before but we will always answer your questions.

Pea
Diagnosed with A.S. 29 year's ago.
Diagnosed with Fibro 10 year's ago.
Remicade, Intrathecal Pain Pump 2013
Little_Katy #501383 03/13/14 05:20 AM
S
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
S
I'm sorry to hear that your boyfriend broke up with you, but you will meet the right person, and probably when you least expect it. At least now you don't have to waste time with someone who isn't the right person for you. When you meet the right one he will love you no matter what battle you're fighting.

And I know what you mean by saying you feel out of place. It's hard for me to relate to people my age because they are all so healthy, and here I come to dinners with a seat cushion, strict diet restrictions, medication, and lots on my mind besides the usual gossip about work and relationships. For example, last week I got a little too excited about a new pill case I ordered, but that's not exactly something that most people my age can relate to. Haha. I have much more in common with elderly people than the young.

And I am somewhat glad that the arthritis illnesses have similar meds so that I don't have to wait for an exact diagnosis for treatment. My only concern is what if my arthritis isn't caused by an autoimmune disease, but some other systemic problem such as Lyme disease or something else. I'm not comfortable going onto stronger medications without more evidence that I have arthritis due to an over-active immune system. My current meds, while helpful, aren't getting me to where I want to be. I suppose if I start having joint damage then I will try methotrexate, but who knows when/ if that will happen. I'm positive I have arthritis, but I'm not sure what body system is causing it. There's also the problem of getting insurance to cover more expensive meds without standard diagnostic criteria being met.

Everything is okay. Trust yourself, and do not live from a place of fear.
Little_Katy #501451 03/15/14 01:25 PM
Master_AS_Kicker
Master_AS_Kicker
Hi Katy,

Like you I was diagnosed young. I'm now 32 and work as a teacher on an isolated reserve. It's a daunting task completing college while undergoing diagnosis's and treatments. However, you will get through it - and glad you live with your parents! My family wasn't very supportive of me for awhile, but they came around eventually. Feel free to message me if you have any questions! It's a great place around here;)

Samantha

Samantha

A.S.
Fibro
Undiagnosed Chronic Fatigue

Live like nobody is watching, Love until you can't and Travel to the moon & back
Little_Katy #501470 03/16/14 03:02 PM
New_Member
New_Member
Katy I'm so sorry your dealing with this, but thankful you've received a diagnosis and they have you started on Meds/physical therapy. A note of encouragement: a good friend of mine, her pain started in her teens like you, but no one (including her) took it seriously until she was in her thirties, and by then three of her vertebrae had fused...anyway, with med/exercise she is now living a completely normal life, her AS and Chronn's (sp?) are in remission and you only know she has "something wrong" if she tells you (even her curved back doesn't always give it away). Anyway...I hope you feel better soon. And I hope your sister doesn't give you too much grief. Hugs.

------------------
Philippians 4:13
------------------
Sue22 #501472 03/16/14 03:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Sue22
I do think that maybe fish oil, ginger, and turmeric could help inflammation?

Not exactly "food" but in food.

Yes... I could agree with this statement.

I know ginger helped me... I added to teas... but it also gave me headaches and thinned my blood as I began having bloody noses when dry inside home/office.

There are studies that point to fish oil... I think it may have some merit, but I took supplements for long periods, cannot say I noticed much of a difference... but maybe it moves pain down from 7 to 5 or 4 to 3... but I do not think much more than that. It was not a noticeable cure all for me.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 36 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,367,361 hmmm
1,323,044 OMG!!!!
711,701 PARTY TIME!