Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#498747 12/29/13 06:03 AM
P
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
P
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I will be starting the NSD after reading through many success stories.

Though excited I am also afraid and uncertain about how to proceed with this. I have read over "NSD QuickStart and tips" thread and the links included by DragonSlayer in that post.

What would be the best way to start?

Would the Cayce Apple fast be the best start before the NSD? or simply the NSD?

Sometimes I feel like I can't do anything because of AS as you all know those are dark times. So I must thank you, everyone who has contributed a story, and information. You've has given me the encouragement to start this.
Wish me luck!

Philippe #498749 12/29/13 09:00 AM
B
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
B
If you can leave the potato chips, pasta, cake, biscuits etc then you will have done the difficult bit, the London AS diet. This can be enough, but some have to try the other things as well. But there is no need to try everything from the start at once.

'Then you should say what you mean,' the March Hare went on. 'I do,' Alice hastily replied; 'at least - at least I mean what I say - that's the same thing , you know.' 'Not the same thing a bit!' said the Hatter.
Philippe #498756 12/29/13 07:34 PM
P
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
P
thanks for the encouragement Bilko.

Right now I don't eat sweets, candy, processed foods, meat, dairy, and haven't been for a long time. It won't be hard to cut out chips. Pasta , mom's cake, noodles, rice, those will be more difficult but I can do it.

I eat a lot of beans and lentils. I guess those will have to go to.
I'll have to put meat back in my diet, though I'd prefer no to.

I read some people even cut out fruits. That's scary but if it means my back wont fuse and I don't have to take meds then I'll try.

Philippe #498762 12/29/13 10:35 PM
D
D
Originally Posted By: Philippe
thanks for the encouragement Bilko.

Right now I don't eat sweets, candy, processed foods, meat, dairy, and haven't been for a long time. It won't be hard to cut out chips. Pasta , mom's cake, noodles, rice, those will be more difficult but I can do it.

I eat a lot of beans and lentils. I guess those will have to go to.
I'll have to put meat back in my diet, though I'd prefer no to.

I read some people even cut out fruits. That's scary but if it means my back wont fuse and I don't have to take meds then I'll try.

Just curious....why do you day you 'have to put meat back in the diet'? There are lots of other animal protein options smile
Personally what has helped me a lot is cutting out PUFAS from fatty fish,pork,nuts&seeds,avocado and emphasizing saturated fats from coconut products and I've been able to tolerate goatdairy over time.

What has really been important to my succes imho,is emphasizing a higher calcium(with adequate magnesium) to phosphorus ratio. This somewhat correlates to the Acid/Alkalinity within the body.
You migth want to rethink cutting out fruits,bc a lot of them have an aproximate 1:1 ca:ph ratio and some even higher calcium....and proper ripe ones are starchless.

Dutchie #498779 12/30/13 07:15 PM
P
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
P
Still learning. These are my assumptions. I'll be experimenting and learning from what others have already learned.

I react to diary , so that's not an option. And apparently Eggs too , I took an allergen test and they showed up high. That leaves blood i guess which I can take, and honey.

I don't want to cut fruits out. I love them. Especially Durian, and berries. I'm not sure how sensitive my body is yet so I'll see if I can take them.

I've tried to balance my omega 6 and 3 ratio. The PUFAS restriction , might try that.

Philippe #498784 12/30/13 11:30 PM
D
D
I found when I had cut out all the PUFA foods and pay attention to keeping phosphorus low compared to calcium(&magnesium and the other alkaline minerals),over time I was able to tolerate Goat and sheep dairy. (basically a pro-thyroid way of eating.)

Eggs are a common allergen. It's usually the eggwhite people react to,the yolk not so much. I think it also matters if the chicken has been fed grains/corn/soy.

Philippe #498789 12/31/13 01:39 AM
P
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
P
Interesting. I will keep them out for now and start very strict and introduce from there. I love eggs, would be nice to eat them again.

After taking to my naturopath I'm going to start a diet without FODMAP. I'll be eating green veggies, oil, and meat. And after time introduce one item at a time.

Philippe #498792 12/31/13 03:48 AM
Master_AS_Kicker
Master_AS_Kicker
I first started out by just cutting out all starches, based on the starch list on this site and by reading food labels. I was shocked to find how much starch is in so many products. I took some time, but it ended up being so worth it. I went from starting the process to go on disability, to working full time with no problems.

--Greg

AS symptoms started 1991. Official dx in 2006 with HLA-B27+, fused SIJ, bone spurs in back, extreme rib/hip pain, and other family with SpA. Started Enbrel in 2006 with good results, but stopped in 2010 due to nerve damage (MS) from it. Getting good results with no-starch diet since 2011.
Philippe #499014 01/06/14 02:17 PM
Master_Sergeant_AS_Kicker
Master_Sergeant_AS_Kicker
Cutting out fruit is not typical. Keep in mind that not everyone here solely has AS. They are battling other ailments and autoimmune diseases that you may not see up front. You would have to read through all their posts to get the whole picture, and even then you might not get it. I'm just starting the research and if I cut out everything everyone else does, I'd be just drinking water and taking supplements... oh darn... those upset my stomach... smile Fruit making stomach discomfort can also be a food allergy. My son is allergic to carrots and since it's generally the pollen that's the culprit, he may be allergic to apples and other things in the same pollen family. Between that and my AS and IBS, I think I'm going to take us both in for allergy testing before I start getting serious about it. Because once your body gets rid of it... all heck can break loose when you try to put it back smile Good luck!

Philippe #499016 01/06/14 02:36 PM
Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
I eat so much fruit, and have had so much success with NSD too!

Melons, kiwi, pears, pineapple, grapes (and raisins), ripe apples, figs, dates, blueberries, raspberries, grapefruit, persimmons, blackberries, and in the summer ripe peaches, cranberries, nectarines, apricots, plums...

I just make sure to mostly eat my fruit "alone" and have fruit based meals that are not combined with lots of fats or especially meats, as the fruit will not digest as quickly, get slowed down in transit with all the fats/animal proteins and start a fermentation and fart factory in my gut. But if I keep it simple, eat fruit first, before a meal, or on an empty stomach, I am good to go! I eat fruit every day. I love fruit, especially when ripe in season.

And I have found this diet is still pretty easy to do without a lot of meat. I eat a little wild seafood/grassfed beef, but really not that much, most days are vegan plant based diets for me, and I have had amazing success with this diet. Especially when starting it at the point where I was/am, in an advanced stages of AS, with quite a bit of fusing already and bone degeneration, this diet has been a life saver.

I wish you great pain free success with this diet! It is definitly a change up in the kitchen at first, but after 2 years on this diet (and 7 years of eating a gluten/dairy free, and mostly paleo grain free diet) I haven't felt at all limited or restricted. Once you get a base of safe foods that make you feel good worked out, you are good to go! It took me a good 6 months of NSD to get to pain free, no inflammation in my body, and now it tetters a little based on the little bits of starch I allow at times (carrots, zucchini, cauliflower), stresses, sleep, how hard I push it, but overall I totally feel like I have this disease under control.

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 64 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose