Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 21 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 20 21
S
New_Member
New_Member
S
Greetings Folks,

I've made a YouTube video talking a little about the diet I settled on to put my AS into complete remission. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvgjJTLrM3M

Love,
Steven

T
Lurker
Lurker
T
Hi there.

I`m a 29 year old male, and have recently been diagnosed with AS. I have been in pain for some years now, but these last 3-5 months have been extra painful.

Found out about the low starch diet, and I have only been avoiding starches for 3 days, but already I`m noticing dramatic improvements.

I have 3 areas of pain: lower back, butt, and upper back. Lowerback pain/stiffness and the pain in my butt is almost entirly gone today. It was also a lot better yesterday. Upper back pain is still there, but I suspect there are a lot of trigger points there, so many the diet doesnt fix that.

It`s only day 3 and I am stoked!!

I will continue the diet, and report back after a couple of weeks.

AS Czar
AS Czar
WELCOME, Th0mas:

The diet is a bit of a rocky road, but at least it is the right one! Please do post long-term results and be extra-careful of 'stealthy' starches (hidden where we least expect it), and when in doubt, whip it out (the iodine). And NO (starchy) REWARDS for good behavior--tempting as it is: This might come after several years, but hope You will decide to get and STAY in remission.

HEALTH,
John

Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
oops, the post I replied to was moved....

Last edited by bettyrawker; 11/11/13 06:53 AM.

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
M
M
Thank you so much for sharing your video....

Kelly - newly diagnosed-attempting NSD- Fish oil, GlA, magnesium, Pro-biotics, mixed herbs-Vitamin K2/D3, .....on Simponi (hoping diet kicks in)!
B
Bel Offline
Active_Member
Active_Member
B
Hi everyone

It's ben a year since my husband restricted starches (no potato, no rice, no wheat, no grains. We make soup broth and almond cookies from scratch. he eats lots of fruit. He has taken different nutritional supplements along the way, suggested by his alternative health practitioner. SHe has also suggested other foods he should give up, such as nightshades.

Several years previous to this my husband had given up tea and coffee as he had tingling in his fingers. This helped his fingers.

If you check back on my posts you will see cutting starches very quickly cut out the sacroilliac pain, which was his main problem. AS Dragonslayer hinted to me, the road was not to be as smooth as one hoped, but the sacro pain has never returned.

WHat did happen was the joints of his fingers started to swell and be painful. He also had a couple of episodes of iritis. His consulatant rheumatologist was concerned and wanted him to start Sulphasalzine. Naturally as my husband was not on any medication (because of previous side effects) he was loathed to do this.

His diet practictioner then looked at his diet again and suggested we cut out salmon, loch trout, sea fish because of the effects of concentration of pollutants from the sea may be affecting him. The only fish he eats now is fresh water trout.

SInce he has given up sea fish , the finger swelling has completely disappeared. RESULT !!

He is just feeling so much better now. Hope this helps you.

M
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
M
That is a very interesting post thank you !!
I have peripheral joints swelling too (mostly wrist), I'd heard about trying to prefer wild caught fish over farmed but what you mean is it's better to actually prefer fresh water (river or lake) over sea water ?

B
Bel Offline
Active_Member
Active_Member
B

I also was listening to a radio programme (where they were interviewing a university researcher,) about seals getting uterine cancer from eating salmon where the concentration of toxins multiplied into the fish fat. It has really put me off salmon. Only an occasional treat from now on.

I think you need to look for fish farmed in spring water or a clean river. I would imagine lakes not as good as a river. The kineisiologist said that the seas are accumulating toxins, so older fish are worse than younger, shallow water worse than deep sea fish.

We eat organic meat whenever possible. WHat ever the animal eats affects the quality of meat produced.In England we have lots of grass fed meat which is healthier than feed lot cattle common to USA.

Our food bills are probably nearly twice as high as they were. The price of good health I guess.

A
New_Member
New_Member
A
Hello everyone. I'm here because of my husband. And I'm not sure if this is the right topic to write. My husband was diagnosed with AS 10 years ago. The past years he was on sulphasalazin. He does not feel pain, only after a long walk in the left hip. He has limited movement in neck, back and especially in leg hip (thinking about replacement). This week he went to see his rheumatologist and she said the AS is progressing and she recommends to switch the treatment for methotrexat and biologics. We both were very anxious about the bad news and I started to search for information and found the new thing for us about what causes AS. I'm very happy that I've found this site and all your comments, especially your success stories with the NSD. Today is the 2nd day with this diet and I'm worried only about one thing - how do my husband know that it's working as he does not feel pain (now he does not take any medication, he is waiting for the new biologic treatment). Sorry, I didn't have time to read all comments.
I'm not testing products with iodine. Haven't got yet. I'm referring to the product table I've found in this site.
I have so much questions. I'm not sure for the recommended new treatment. Maybe it will not be necessary if new diet works. I'll be very thankful for your answers.

D
Lurker
Lurker
D
My name is Damian, just started the diet and I have amazing results after 1 week! AS stared with me when I was 12. Massive pain in my lower back no one could diagnois. Contracted vitiglio and ulcerlative colitis at 14. After a total colectomy at 16 years my AS began a massive flare up. Again going from doctor to doctor was on steroids to NSAIDs . Finally I was diagnosed with AS at age 26. I've been on enbrel for some time and this seemed to do the trick. But so many side effects I need to get off of it. Now I have a chance. I am well disciplined and will stick to the diet. I can tell it's working after the first week. I can't wait to start my life over without meds. It's only been 28 years of hell.

Page 14 of 21 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 20 21

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (haydenk), 62 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM