Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#494798 - 09/13/13 07:03 AM Heading to Trader Joes, ideas??
lulu12 Offline
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker

I am heading to Trader Joes to hopefully find some good starch free foods. Anyone have any special things they purchase there that I can check out? I've been to Whole Foods but they are very expensive. I'm hoping TJ's is less.

Edited by lulu12 (09/13/13 01:55 PM)

#494805 - 09/13/13 01:17 PM Re: Heading to Trader Joes, ideas?? [Re: lulu12]
Dotyisle Offline

Loc: Rosario, Argentina
Ohh... loved Trader Joes in Phoenix when I lived there.

They had a Cherry Juice I really loved... also they had turkey sausages I would purchase and were safe and some fish that was a bit less expensive than Whole Foods. Also they had dried green apple slices... but they caused me issues unrelated to AS... I was warming the covers at night a lot crazy2

Other than that... they had good frozen fruits I bought, but you can find those at regular grocery stores.

I never got into Organic Meat much... so did not buy a whole lot at either Whole Foods or Trader Joes. Mostly in produce and meat section of local grocer... and organic yogurt from Stoneyfield Farms and frozen fruits and baking aisle for raisins and walnuts.

Take care,

Tim

KONK - Keep ON Kicking

#494806 - 09/13/13 01:43 PM Re: Heading to Trader Joes, ideas?? [Re: lulu12]
DragonSlayer Offline
AS Czar

Loc: Reno or SFLU Philippines
Sorry, lulu12:

Most things we purchase are market produce or meat counter items. Not big on shopping at Trader Joe's but I do trade jokes sometimes...

They have "fresh mozzarella," fish of all kinds, chocolate covered almonds, bulk pistachios, string cheese, a wonderful Indian tapenade that looks like pickle, or olive tapenade. Almond butter (I mix this 3:1 with regular peanut butter and put on celery sticks). Pepitas and stuffed green olives, but I am probably missing something big as I almost never shop there--oh, they have meringue cookies that I don't need, but fresh eggs. TOFU--extra firm and don't forget A1 sauce from somewhere else.

bon appetit
John

Professor Ebringer: On Diet and AS;

RED ARROW --> Philippines

#494808 - 09/13/13 02:03 PM Re: Heading to Trader Joes, ideas?? [Re: lulu12]
lulu12 Offline
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker

I just edited my post . Sorry should have checked it first. The word prediction tends to take over. Anyway I had fun at TJ's but did not come home with alot. I bought a bag of Chia seeds, kale, avocado, a big can of chicken just like tuna would come in but larger. I was thrilled to see it's just chicken in it.( I love processing it with kale, olives, olive oil, cukes, sea salt etc). Cocoa powder, which I think just tested starchy, raw almonds and vitamin D which was soy, gluten, dairy and starch free, and a bunch of stuff for the kids that they will enjoy but I can't eat.

#494851 - 09/14/13 08:48 AM Re: Heading to Trader Joes, ideas?? [Re: lulu12]
Dotyisle Offline

I have issues with avocado, I always flare from it. Just my personal experience.

Tim

KONK - Keep ON Kicking

#494869 - 09/14/13 02:33 PM Re: Heading to Trader Joes, ideas?? [Re: lulu12]
light Offline
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker

Loc: brooklyn, ny
Trader Joe's LOVES their starches and additives. I got diagnosed three months after TJ's moved down the street from my school. My off and on back pain *mysteriously* became chronic. Before that I think I intuitively stayed away from a lot of starches.

With that said, I really like their canned trout... though it is very salty and needs to be mixed with other things.
celery/avocado/spinach/kale/arugula/chard/lettuce/wakame/nori/sunflower sprouts(no seeds)/pea greens(no peas)/all organic meats/bone broths/all fish/free range eggs/ oils: hazelnut/coconut/pecan/olive/walnut/pecan/pumpkin/avocado/ghee/nut butters: hazelnut/brazil nut/skinless marcona almond/ pumpkin seed (some batches starchy)/tahini/coconut flour/coconut kefir/homemade 72 hour goats milk yogurt/umeboshi paste/camu camu/thyme/grey sea salt/Supreme Spice oil extracts/Garlic infused oils

#494870 - 09/14/13 02:39 PM Re: Heading to Trader Joes, ideas?? [Re: lulu12]
light Offline
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker

Loc: brooklyn, ny
Also, I wanted to mention that I do awesome with avocadoes- can eat up to 3-4 in 24 hours, easily. I read *somewhere* that some stores use cold storage and then use chemicals to ripen them quickly, which, according to this source, leads to starchy avocados. .... I can not verify this..... but I only buy organic, hard avocados and let them ripen in my own home. I have never had a problem. They are an essential food in my diet in terms of energy levels/avoiding constipation/and generally making me happy to be alive smile
celery/avocado/spinach/kale/arugula/chard/lettuce/wakame/nori/sunflower sprouts(no seeds)/pea greens(no peas)/all organic meats/bone broths/all fish/free range eggs/ oils: hazelnut/coconut/pecan/olive/walnut/pecan/pumpkin/avocado/ghee/nut butters: hazelnut/brazil nut/skinless marcona almond/ pumpkin seed (some batches starchy)/tahini/coconut flour/coconut kefir/homemade 72 hour goats milk yogurt/umeboshi paste/camu camu/thyme/grey sea salt/Supreme Spice oil extracts/Garlic infused oils

#494892 - 09/14/13 08:45 PM Re: Heading to Trader Joes, ideas?? [Re: lulu12]
lulu12 Offline
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker

I think avocados may be causing flares for me. I really love them and have been in a sort of denial blaming other things. I feel like I've already given up so much and hate the thought of losing this as well. Perhaps I will try to do like you say, buy them and let them ripen at home.

#494895 - 09/14/13 09:06 PM Re: Heading to Trader Joes, ideas?? [Re: lulu12]
naj Offline
Diamond_AS_Kicker

Loc: U.S.A.
Google paleo trader joes as I believe there was a whole article about how trader joes has super bargains for people eating paleo, which is very NSD ish.
Me: salad fixings, fresh veggies and fruit, yogurt, cheese, frozen fish, frozen veggies, frozen berries, dark chocolate sometimes, mustard, eggs, turkey bacon (organic), olive oil, butter, olives, almonds (marcona when they have 'em, with rosemary, yum), frozen chicken etc. Awesome!

#494909 - 09/15/13 08:33 AM Re: Heading to Trader Joes, ideas?? [Re: light]
Dotyisle Offline

Originally Posted By: light
Also, I wanted to mention that I do awesome with avocadoes- can eat up to 3-4 in 24 hours, easily. I read *somewhere* that some stores use cold storage and then use chemicals to ripen them quickly, which, according to this source, leads to starchy avocados. .... I can not verify this..... but I only buy organic, hard avocados and let them ripen in my own home. I have never had a problem. They are an essential food in my diet in terms of energy levels/avoiding constipation/and generally making me happy to be alive smile

I have read several that do not have issues with avocados... so I call it a fringe food along with almonds, dairy and other foods.

I tried them in Arizona several times over 3-4 months. I was working with naturopath at the time and she wanted avocado in my diet in the worst way for the healthy fats. So I kept trying them... tried several times and each time I would have SI pain return... a bit at first and if I kept eating the pain was to point had trouble walking again.

Maybe will try again shortly and let ripen more and see how I do. Actually I believe I do better here in Argentina because of the many "verdulerias" (veggie/fruit stands) in all the neighborhoods that have fresh produce... they do not use chemicals with produce... everything is fresher.

Thanks for the insight.

Tim

KONK - Keep ON Kicking

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Blood donation
by RPN
10/31/14 04:00 PM
Hidden Variables of Radiation Exposure
by MollyC1i
10/31/14 03:16 PM
Swollen Feet, Toes, Ankles, Pain. Caused by AS??
by Believe
10/30/14 12:22 PM
What's next for diagnosis?
by NRB
10/30/14 07:12 AM
S/O Opinions: Bone scan rules out SA?
by SAMum
10/29/14 03:53 PM
Newer member saying hello
by Jasonpaul
10/29/14 03:11 PM
Free autoimmune summit with 40 autoimmune experts