Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
G
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
G
That's great, please keep us posted to how you are doing smile
When you say you need to eat some starch is that to keep the variety of good bacteria there because if you don't eat starch you will loose some of it?
I am considering looking into this further as an option but would be very nervous of eating starch again.
x

NSD almost all the way
No dairy hard cheeses occasionally and homemade ghee
Still trying to work out what makes me tick and what makes me drop

'Chew your drinks and drink your foods'
'Let your knife & fork do the work of your teeth and let your teeth do the work of your stomach'
Mahatma Gandhi
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Just an update on the Fecal Transplant (FMT). I went to Dr. Shepard in Tampa the 2nd week of July, and after one month, I'm seeing improvement. It isn't 100%, but I've had no flares for 3 weeks, and I'm *completely* off prednisone for the first time since nearly February (haven't had any since I started the treatment in July).

I don't know if it's solely the FMT. I still have gastro issues with a twisted colon and hiatal hernia. Still, I'm now able to eat more starchy things including gluten free pizza (rice/tapioca flour...no bean flour!) and sweet potatoes and winter squash. Happily, I've finally gained some weight (I was down to 108 at 6 feet tall...now up to 120).

I did make a couple changes to medications. I'm only on LDN and a IBS medication called Linzess (to keep colon moving). I did make a change in the place that compounds my LDN. I changed to Scrips pharmacy in Florida which does mail order. Apparently, some places compound LDN incorrectly and it is totally ineffective. I do think it's making a difference since I can feel very swollen at night but wake up in the morning feeling completely better. These are the only two medications I'm taking besides a few supplements (fish oil - sardine/anchovy, turmeric, and plant sterols). I'm also finally able to take probiotics for the first time in years. When I took probiotics before, they would trigger a flare/reaction. This seems like a significant change as well.

I'm still waiting for a few months to see if the improvement continues before I get excited and try spreading the word more widely.

If you have severe colon/gut issues, I do recommend Dr. Shepard. He's incredibly knowledgeable and willing to listen and try new things. I'm thankful for innovative doctors like him! Please let me know if you have any questions about the process...totally painless and simple. I even can suggest a wonderful AirBNB to stay at that is 5 minutes from his office! smile

Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
I forgot to add - I have pretty severe spondylitis. I've been on Humira, methotrexate, sulfa drugs, NSAIDs, but I'm feeling far better now than I did when I was on all the drugs. I did not have a mild case, so this progress IS remarkable. I've also shown spinal damage on x-rays, so my diagnosis was definite.

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Originally Posted By: The_Inflammator

It is a crazy treatment option but what would we have to lose? Anyone else willing to give these options a try? I know some of you are pretty crazy enough to give it a go. They just seem like alternative ways of altering gut flora to me, though approaching it from the opposite end. sick

Just this morning I was telling my husband that I'd do it, but I'm pretty sure only through a reputable medical facility. Or maybe wait til they have it down "synthetically" (just the microbes, minus the waste).

My husband said, isn't that basically probiotics? So we talked about the major differences.

Lindyap, thanks for the update. Hearing testimonials is an important way to weigh the evidence, for me.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
E
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
E
Thanks for the update Lindyap.

Have any of your guys heard about I think it is called the SmartPill? I don't know to much about it but it is a electronic pill that will take readings through out the digestive system and transmit it to a recorder. it's a pretty new technology I think. Im pretty sure it gives more info than what a stool sample would give.

Ev

Evan
I was supposed to have a camera pill when the colonoscopy showed inflammation and small crohns like ulcers in the ileum. Its really the only way to see the small intestine in any detail and my GI doc and I wanted to see what the rest of my small intestine looked like. But insurance turned me down, said it was only allowed for mysterious internal bleeding issues. So I had to have a CT enterography which only would show crude gross issues with crohns of which I had none.

The cameral pill would have been cool, might have shown more pervasive inflammation and ulceration in the small intestine.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
T
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
T
Just this morning I was telling my husband that I'd do it, but I'm pretty sure only through a reputable medical facility. Or maybe wait til they have it down "synthetically" (just the microbes, minus the waste).

My husband said, isn't that basically probiotics? So we talked about the major differences.

Lindyap, thanks for the update. Hearing testimonials is an important way to weigh the evidence, for me.

Certainly the preferred way of doing it. Though not everyone would have the means to easily get to such a facility, or find people knowledgeable enough to help them. Seems like a few cases of success were posted by some "do-it-yourself"ers in the thread linked to above, even if it was for IBD not AS. On the whole though, you are correct. I plan to explore that option first should I ever decide to do it. Long distance running seems to be helping me a good bit at the moment though.

Last edited by The_Inflammator; 08/09/13 03:14 PM.
L
L33 Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
L
Thanks All for sharing. Another Awesome post....here.

I would like to say that Fecal transplant looks very promising.

From my experience with trying antibiotics to kill Klebsiella, The importance of gut bacteria became very obvious to me since I had diarrhoea soon after taking antibiotics. ( I took a pro biotic yoghurt to reboot my system i.e fix the diarrhoea problem)

The point is that if gut bacteria is so important for normal health and may be our existence? The possibilities of treating diseases as As, IBD etc with fecal transplant seem very realistic considering the links Klebsiella etc.

The thing is I am not expecting to hear about this sort of treatment from my local doctors any time soon.

I also know that treatments which are of low monetary benefit to the "powers that be" are almost always shunted, alienated.

It's all about the Benjamins!

Last edited by L33; 08/09/13 06:16 PM.

HLA B27+
Have AS since the age of 13.
Diagnosed in 2005 at the age of 22

Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
Here is a DIY protocol from a doctor in Canada who developed it and has used it in his practice. It is a PDF

http://crohnsend.com/documents/dr_silverman_home_transplants.pdf

Since the no starch diet has not completely worked for me I am actually considering this

Last edited by drizzit; 08/21/13 05:11 AM.

No families take so little medicine as those of doctors, except those of apothecaries.

Oliver Wendell Holmes
F
Veteran_AS_Kicker
Veteran_AS_Kicker
F
Thanks for that drizzit.

I developed my AS after a very bad stomach dystentry in Thailand. My gut has always been "bad".
I too cannot probiotics they really flare me up bad, have tried many different types and will never try again. It's almost immediate that I start to feel really tired and flare.

My son is 9 and has solid health. Somehow I need to steal his poop and put it into my 500 dollar blender. LOL. Not sure my wife would understand this latest medical adventure. How the hell do you explain this one?

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  Megan, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (haydenk, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM