Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Topic Options
#492336 - 07/27/13 04:56 PM Diagnosis:Lyme Arthritis or Ankylosing Spondylitis
DS2013 Offline
New_Member

Hi, I am looking for diagnosis help about Lyme arthritis or ankylosing spondylitis, or good doctors to recommend to me for the diagnosis. I am in New Jersey. Thank you so much.

Recent history of illness:
April 2013: had Bell's palsy on the right side April 27, my neurologist saw no other neuro symptoms. took steroid for 7 days (gradually reduced amount), symptoms completely went away in 3 weeks, did not feel pain or tiredness anywhere, No rashes, did not suspect Lyme. I had a hot towel cover my face for 1 min half a day before symptoms of Bell's palsy started, that might be part of the reason.

From July 2: felt soreness in right ankle when playing tennis, stopped for days but symptom did not go away. I don't remember any tick bites recently and nor do I have "bull's-eye" rashes.

From July 13: felt soreness in both ankles and both knees, symmetric, but not swollen, mild heat in lower legs.

From July 20: additionally, felt pain in sacroiliac joints and hips, and pain in hip muscles and back muscles, still soreness and pain in both knees and ankles.

From July 26: in addition to continuous pain in the sacroiliac joints and hips, shoulders and elbows start to feel mild pain and soreness.

July 26 morning: muscle cramp in right lower leg for only 5 seconds and then recovered

July 27: in addition to other symptoms above, spotted pain in the back and front of middle site of the spine.

Most of my pains are symmetric.

Went to see my family physician on July 20, suspecting ankylosing spondylitis (AS) or rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Did blood test. Results showed: negative for HLA-B27, negative for Rheumatoid Factor, low for C reaction protein, high for Lyme Ab 2.43 (<0.91negative, >1.09positive), Lyme Ab IgM also high, 1.54 (<0.91 negative, >1.09positive). Further Western blot from BioResources Lab shows below:

negative for all IgG bands 18, 23, 28, 30, 39, 41, 45, 58, 66, 93.
Negative for IgM band 23 and IgM band 39.
But only one Positive band for IgM band 41.

In the report it says "Lym IgG Interpretation: Negative, Lym IgM Interpretation: Negative"

Based on this, my family physician declined to diagnose it as Lyme Disease, and is suspecting ankylosing spondylitis (AS). But my X-ray did not support AS. So she is not prescribe me any medicine. She asked me not to take any amoxicillin. Just take some NSAID. But the NSAID may only relieve my pain just a little bit.

Any of your opinions are appreciated.

Edited by DS2013 (07/27/13 04:59 PM)

#492352 - 07/28/13 08:10 AM Re: Diagnosis:Lyme Arthritis or Ankylosing Spondylitis [Re: DS2013]
lulu12 Offline
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker

I think you have Lyme. Bells Palsy is a hallmark symptom of Lyme and band 41 is specific as well. The first thing you need to do is find yourself a Lyme literate doctor (LLMD). I would encourage you to view the film Under Our Skin to understand the complexities involved in diagnosing and treating Lyme. http://underourskin.com/ Also you should join lymenet as they can help you find a LLMD in your area as well as provide support and guidance. http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi

Unfortunately your doctor is clueless as are many when it comes to diagnosing and treating Lyme. Many follow the CDC guidelines which are incorrect, ILADS has the correct info and you want a physician that follows their guidelines. http://www.ilads.org/ Whatever you do don't take steroids of any kind or any TNF inhibitors until you see a LLMD
It is really important that you begin Lyme treatment quickly.
PM me if I can help in any way as I know it can be a lot to understand.

#492372 - 07/28/13 12:45 PM Re: Diagnosis:Lyme Arthritis or Ankylosing Spondylitis [Re: DS2013]
DragonSlayer Offline
AS Czar

Loc: Reno or SFLU Philippines
Hello, DS2013:

I want to echo everything lulu12 has said with special emphasis on getting treatment QUICKLY. There is some information on the Road Back Foundation site, also, and I believe they maintain listing of LLMDs in specific areas.

HEALTH,
John

Professor Ebringer: On Diet and AS;

RED ARROW --> Philippines

#492382 - 07/28/13 03:17 PM Re: Diagnosis:Lyme Arthritis or Ankylosing Spondylitis [Re: DS2013]
DS2013 Offline
New_Member

Thank you very much, lulu12 and DragonSlayer. The confusing part for my diagnosis is as follows.

Bell's palsy was so far the only neuro symptom I had. And Band 41 is not specific for lyme. It is only specific for spirochete, which could also be from gum infection.

Moreover, negative IgG band 41 and positive IgM band 41 could indicates a recent infection, but my arthritis symtoms indicate otherwise. SI joint pain, hip pain and heel pain should have been from a late-stage Lyme disease, if it were lyme.

I have been on lymenet.org asking around but the above confusion leads me to ask about ankylosing spondylitis here, which was actually recommended by someone on lymenet.org.

I believe members on this forum know much more about AS and may be able to help me distinguish these two and help the diagnosis when I see an LLMD and a rheumatologist who I am making appointments right now.

Thank you again.

Edited by DS2013 (07/28/13 03:19 PM)

Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
New member sign up and donations
by DragonSlayer
05/10/20 07:56 PM
We need an SSL cert on kickas.org
by MIranda
05/08/20 05:00 PM
AS Flare I think, maybe Covid?
by sBrian
05/06/20 11:59 AM
AS and IgA Nephropathy