Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13 >
Topic Options
#490848 - 06/25/13 03:04 PM Fecal transplant & Helminthic therapy
evand1991 Offline
Active_Member

Loc: Ottawa valley, Canada
Hey,

I think there has been some discussions about Fecal transplant and Helminthic therapy but I would like to bring the topic back to life. I know they are both relativity new therapy s but from what I've read the results have been promising. Does anybody know more about these new therapys or have tried them? there is limited info on the net.

Cheers,
Ev

Helmithic therapy(hookworm&whipworm) - autoimmunetherapies.com

#490966 - 06/28/13 10:12 PM Re: Fecal transplant & Helminthic therapy [Re: evand1991]
jroc Offline
Decorated_AS_Kicker

Loc: New Zealand
Hi

Great question! These are two very interesting and promising lines of research in both IBD and SpA. I have a quite a few papers on both of these topics. If you PM me your email address I would be happy to send you some.

Cheers

#490991 - 06/30/13 09:30 AM Re: Fecal transplant & Helminthic therapy [Re: evand1991]
Sue22 Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Upstate NY
the first time I had heard of fecal transplants, i thought it was a joke, but then upon reading, realized 1) it was for real and 2) it actually made a lot of sense.

seeing more on the gut microbiome than on fecal transplants per se, but if what they are saying about the difference of the microbial makeup of people with various illnesses is true (it is), then the next step would be to "fix" that.

What better way to fix it than by fecal transplant.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)

#491023 - 06/30/13 09:06 PM Re: Fecal transplant & Helminthic therapy [Re: evand1991]
finnari Offline
Veteran_AS_Kicker

Loc: phoenix
fecal transplant at my hospital has only been used for C-diff toxins which make people really sick. the cure rate is very high AFTER you fight the insurance company to have it done. It's still considered experimental.
drug companies hate curative therapies like this.

#491083 - 07/01/13 08:39 PM Re: Fecal transplant & Helminthic therapy [Re: evand1991]
evand1991 Offline
Active_Member

Loc: Ottawa valley, Canada
Ari,

Do you know if they have to find their own donors or does the hospital hook you up with the proper donor?

Sue,

very true i'm hearing more and more about these treatments too. what i read the benefits from a fecal trans are almost instant..helmiths can take 6-12 months before you see results

#491152 - 07/02/13 11:47 PM Re: Fecal transplant & Helminthic therapy [Re: evand1991]
bettyrawker Offline
Magical_AS_Kicker

Loc: Oregon
I think they totally make sense!

I also know someone with AS and Colitis who did one with great success.

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/

#491155 - 07/03/13 12:19 AM Re: Fecal transplant & Helminthic therapy [Re: bettyrawker]
Sue22 Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Upstate NY
the idea of DIY just sounds risky to me, but then I found this:

http://blogs.plos.org/publichealth/2013/...-of-the-reason/

I don't know, maybe I just have to get used to the idea, but it just seems like it would be safer in a doctors office?

Though that's just my opinion, an uninformed opinion at that.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)

#491161 - 07/03/13 05:02 AM Re: Fecal transplant & Helminthic therapy [Re: bettyrawker]
The_Inflammator Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker

Loc: Northern Virginia
I think they totally make sense!

I also know someone with AS and Colitis who did one with great success.

Short or long-term success?

#491169 - 07/03/13 10:54 AM Re: Fecal transplant & Helminthic therapy [Re: The_Inflammator]
bettyrawker Offline
Magical_AS_Kicker

Loc: Oregon
It's been about 2 months, overall lots of improvements. Increased energy, less sensitivity to a variety of foods (huge improvement here!!), face is more full of life & color, no dark circles under eyes, less overall GI inflammation and significantly reduced bloating and burping. AS pains were already pretty manageable with low starch and raw foods diet, but GI was still under some distress before the transplant. She did it DIY with a donor from her husband. She would do it again in a heartbeat. She wishes she had just been brave enough to do it 3 years ago, when her AS & GI pains were extreme, maybe she would have help to prevent a portion of the "bamboo spine" that was noted on her recent x-rays. It is too bad there is such a stigma associated with getting treated with a full dose of a well balanced and healthy ecosystem from someone else, as hers was destroyed by overzealous doctors and a year of antibiotics as a small child.
I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/

#491206 - 07/04/13 08:51 AM Re: Fecal transplant & Helminthic therapy [Re: evand1991]
Grumpyally Offline
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker

Loc: UK
Hi,

I think it sounds very interesting I have heard about this but have no experience. They are finding more and more about the link between bowel/gut and health problems every day. It is the only part of the body that exists on its own not needing the brain? to function (I think I've got that right) and is sometimes referred to as the second brain. I have also read that it is very difficult to know just what bacteria is in the gut/colon etc as testing is difficult.

It is very tempting to try but a bit of a hurdle to get over for DIY! Do you choose someone who is very healthy (or are they a ticking timebomb) I read the comment about someone using a babies/young childs but wouldn't they have less bacteria as they are newly exposed to the world?

@Andrea was your friends a DIY or done by a practitioner/
I am seeing my GP tomorrow to request an MOT as I don't think I am absorbing vitamins etc from my food at the moment I might ask her what she knows about it if only to see her facial reaction laugh.

'Chew your drinks and drink your foods'
'Let your knife & fork do the work of your teeth and let your teeth do the work of your stomach'
Mahatma Gandhi

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13 >

Moderator:  Megan, WendyR 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 132 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Has anyone here had C. diff?
by MikeGinnyMD
07/17/17 09:10 AM
No sugar , No starch, say what?
by Amiron
07/17/17 04:15 AM
Pain relief
by Josh300788
07/16/17 02:26 PM
Radon Therapy Czech Republic