Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Print Thread
J
Jojo83 Offline OP
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
J
Hello,
My neck is not my friend right now, and I hope that is due to a recently discovered mistake of mine: I have been testing everything with 10% iodine - bread and pumkin black, but nothing obviously starchy so. Just got a 2% solution and see on my food that they're all painted black, as the song goes.

Watermelon - black. Organic carrots - black. Perhaps they are equally starchy? Candaloupe is not.

Question to watermelon lovers: Anyone got a sense of non-starchy watermelons, seasons or sizes?
Thanks,
Loha

AS since February 2013
NSD - as of yet no medication.
Hello Loha,

The test is not quantative, only qualatative. Iodine can only tell if has starch, cannot tell you how much. I would assume something with a lot of starch would turn more quickly and darker however.

I never had issues with watermelon... rarely have issues with carrots, only if they are cooked at times as cooking can release the starch.

Best to you,

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
J
Jojo83 Offline OP
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
J
Hi, thanks.
"Iodine can only tell if has starch, cannot tell you how much. I would assume something with a lot of starch would turn more quickly and darker however." - I am confused by the contradiction. I do wonder whether iodine turned red is slightly starchy while no color change is not though..
/Loha

AS since February 2013
This is my point...

If you test with iodine, it will either turn dark (starch) or not (no starch). Some with more healthy gut can probably consume very small amounts of starch and not notice it much.

If sometime has starch, it will turn dark... but it will not tell you if it has a little starch or quite a bit of starch. There is no qualitative measurement that says this has 10 grams of starch.

However... if turns dark very dark very quickly, I would assume it has quite a bit of starch... say a piece of bread, potato, banana.

Sometime that has a little starch I assume would take a little longer.

But is has been many years since i tested and I only tested for short period of time.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
For me, I get small, seedless watermelons, the ones that are small, usually a darker green & round.

I enjoy my watermelon most as a refreshing slushy. So I blend 4 cups watermelon, 1/2 a fennel bulb, large handful of mint together, add ice drink. You can also pour this juice through a nut milk bag (like the ones I sell on my website) and strain out almost all of the fiber & particles, leaving an easily digested juice, vs a smoothie.

Lately I am buying a small watermelon, blending it up and pouring it into popsicle molds, so I have a refreshing treat whenever I want! Since I can't always eat a whole watermelon in time, making frozen fruit pops has been great! Also, I love added blended mint to the fruit pops too.

Also, it is very important to follow food combining rules when eating watermelon. Your best bet is to eat watermelon alone, and before you eat anything else, not after. It has so readily digestible sugars, but will get caught up and ferment and feed candida or like symptoms if you eat watermelon with a large meal, like a steak dinner. Small particles of mint & fennel don't pose an issue for me with watermelon, but I had given up watermelon a while back after I was getting stomach aches & bloating from eating it, only to realize I was doing horrible food combining at the time. Don't stress on following every food combining rule 100%, but do stress on only eating melons with melons and not other food groups for optimum digestion and no bellyaching. http://www.alderbrooke.com/images/food-combining-chart-front.jpg

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
J
Jojo83 Offline OP
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
J
Thank you both for great responses!
Loha

AS since February 2013

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (haydenk), 62 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM