Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#481352 - 12/14/12 07:34 AM Re: Raw Food Diet For RA [Re: ValsMum]
Lon Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming
V'smum

You are right on

I made a split pea soup that was so good but it bloated me. which also broughton a tremendous amount of pain.
I know peas have starch.

do I need to rinse the peas after the first blanch?

#481354 - 12/14/12 09:16 AM Re: Raw Food Diet For RA [Re: ValsMum]
ValsMum Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker

Hi Lon,
Wish I knew the answer to your split pea soup question. I think cooking veggies changes their chemistry, maybe that is what happened to you?

When I'm in a flare I eat lots of raw greens, some raw fruit, I juice some cucmbers, celery,ginger and apples and drink the juice. I sneak in some dark chocolate so I can manage, I'm a wimp and a foodie.

What are you doing for Christmas? We are staying home and I'll probably roast a turkey for the family and we will go to Mass and play with the new toys and watch "It's a Wonderful Life", its one of my favorite movies.

excess fat/oils = pain for me
recipes for raw food on Youtube "raw food romance"
and "healing josephine" Josephine is in remission from RA after two years by change diet/exercise

#481525 - 12/18/12 01:20 PM Re: Raw Food Diet For RA [Re: ValsMum]
Lon Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming
Valsmum,
Our adults son and his wife and daughter live in the basement, so they will be here Christmas day.

I will do a turkey with trimmings.. and do the dishes.

we will also watch, It Is A Wonderful Life!

and a game or two...then the walk of course...

Christmas Eve, there is a church we want to attend for the 5:00 service!!

I hope it is a great day

#482206 - 01/10/13 08:19 PM Re: Raw Food Diet For RA [Re: ValsMum]
ValsMum Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker

Lon,
Sounds like fun at your house !!

I labeled this post "Raw Food Diet for RA" but lately I have been doing fine eating cooked veggies and soups. I am still eating 90% fruits and veggies and feeling the best since my diagnosis .

Take care!

and "healing josephine" Josephine is in remission from RA after two years by change diet/exercise

#482459 - 01/17/13 09:16 AM Re: Raw Food Diet For RA [Re: ValsMum]
areilla10 Offline
New_Member

Loc: Napanee, ON, Canada
This is a really interesting thread. I was diagnosed with a spondyloarhtropathy of some sort when I was 27 (about a decade ago now) and have been dealing with its limitations ever since. I started a new job around that time as a secretary - a very sedentary job - and put on a ton of weight. I know my diet affects the way I feel, but I find it very difficult to escape from the SAD diet I've been subsisting on for so many years.

I did a juice fast a couple of years ago, starting with a strict 2-week diet that eliminated all sorts of irritants: no wheat, no dairy, no red meat, no alcohol, no coffee (I drank matcha tea), no sugar, no preservatives or additives, no unnatural fats, and cut way down on saturated fat. I didn't change my portions and ate as much as I wanted. My meals focused on simply prepared, sparsely seasoned foods, a lot of green salads and antioxidant-rich foods like berries, spinach, pomegranate juice, etc. Chicken and turkey breast and salmon were staple proteins. I did eat a lot of beans and lentils. I wasn't afraid to saute stuff in a little olive oil (and maybe a 1/4 tsp of butter for flavour) but I usually tried to only cook it just enough to brighten the colours. Stir-fried kale with peppers, mushrooms and cashews with a dash of balsamic vinegar is amazing. I included grains like barley, wild and brown rice and quinoa. Even though I didn't reduce my portions, I lost probably 3-5 lbs in two weeks. My body seemed to take a deep breath and relax (finally) and my aches and pains had diminished significantly.

After this I went on a 7-day fast, losing a total of 17 1/2 lbs, 10 lbs of which was water weight, but...for that period of time, I was 17 1/2 lbs lighter. It was a nice break for my joints. However, I made the mistake of not having an exit strategy that I could follow for the rest of my life, so of course I gained it all back in a short time. I kind of knew that would happen but...I'd like to try it again. And this time, I know what I need to do: I have to figure out how to get my head around eating clean and light for the rest of my life. My AS is not going to go away, and I'm not getting any younger. Every day that I carry around excess weight is another day of wear on my joints, and a toxic body full of irritating chemicals that aggravate my inflammation. The clock is ticking and I need to do something. I'm not sure if I'm ready to plunge into mainly raw food just yet, but maybe I can evolve that way eventually.

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not crazy and that this works for others, too.

#484047 - 02/23/13 07:38 AM Re: Raw Food Diet For RA [Re: ValsMum]
ValsMum Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker

Areilla,
It makes a lot of sense that eating well makes us feel better and gives our joints some pain releif.I think that many of us are defiecient in vitamins and also have too many toxins in our body, this leads to RA, AS , MS, this is my opinion.
I am doing the Gerson Therapy and I have had great results. It includes juicing fruits and veggies.It also recommends C.E.'s . The raw food diet helped me a lot but as I added some cooked veggies it did not seem to make me feel worse, I still don't eat animal products, I think they seem to affect people with RA more than those with AS.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  WendyR 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
New member sign up and donations
by DragonSlayer
05/10/20 07:56 PM
We need an SSL cert on kickas.org
by MIranda
05/08/20 05:00 PM
AS Flare I think, maybe Covid?
by sBrian
05/06/20 11:59 AM
AS and IgA Nephropathy