Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ilbcrzn Offline OP
Captain_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Captain_AS_Kicker
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone is using a light box for the Winter Blues or SAD (Seasonal Afflicted Disorder). I suffer from depression every once in a while and this time of year can be worse when there is limited sunshine. I thought I would ask here before I go out and buy one. Does it really work and does it help? Any input, good or bad would really help.

I just got over a bout of major depression but am doing better with the 120mg. of Cymbalta. I know last year was good till about March and then I went into depression till Spring. Just don't want to go down that road again if I don't have to.

Thanks All !!! smile

I can not defeat you but I will not let you win

Jeff

Degenrative disc disease 2005
AS 2008 HLA-B27-
Fibromyalgia 2010
Disability 2012
Back to work part time 2013
Enbrel, Cymbalta,Oxycodone, blah blah blah blah
Supreme_AS_Kicker
Supreme_AS_Kicker
I don't know anything other than it can help if that's the type of depression you have (SAD). If it's situational depression, the light box just doesn't do the trick. (from what I've read) In any case, that's a whopper dose of Cymbalta. Wow. Do you get many side-effects? I would assume that you are tolerating it because of the good it's doing for you. Just curious since I gave up that med because of side-effects and turned down the higher dose. It was helping pain, but I just couldn't deal with the s/e.

Seems that there were ads in the not-to-distant past about lightbulbs (for ordinary lamps) that included the full spectrum that benefits SAD. Have you searched for that? Though I'm not sure they are still available (or ever were).

In any case, hope you can find a way to keep that good mood going. Hugs!

Last edited by rumble; 11/18/12 07:52 AM.

DX: Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Psoriasis
Meds: MTX since Oct 2009, 15mg/week. Cimzia-restarted after 2 yrs away.
Epidural Steroid Injections x8; Lumbar Radiofreq Ablation x2
SIJ Steroid Injection x3; Bilateral Radiofreq Ablation SIJ x9
C
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
C
My ex used to have a SAD bedside light that used to function as an alarm clock - it came on slowly (like daylight) over a period of time and they would wake up to it. It really did seem to make a difference with how easily mentally they started the day, when without it, they could easily have just stayed in bed and not wanted to get up at all. They also used a SAD light during the day a bit (not a proper light box one though).

I think it did make a big difference to them, however I probably wouldn't just say go out and buy and expensive one straight off. If you can either borrow or hire one, or get a reasonable priced one, then definitely worth trying, even if you aren't sure its SAD - from working in mental health for years, I'd say that winter was bad time for anyone with depression and anything that helps keep things a bit "brighter" literally is good.

If you are a bit technically minded, I'm sure you could find out what type of bulb or light or strength those light boxes are and find a much cheaper alternative to getting the same light quality in something that isn't advertised especially for SAD.

Bronze_AS_Kicker
Bronze_AS_Kicker
Hi Jeff,

I have a lamp, but I really don't use it much. My depression isn't related to the seasonal changes. What helped me most was adding a very small dose of ABilify 2mg to my Effexor. Has that ever been considered ?

Hugs,
Janet

G
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
G
Hi,

Full spectrum light bulbs are available and I think they are the same as SAD bulbs and I was told so at a craft fair they just dont have the same price tag. They are often sold as 'daylight' craftlights and bulbs eg https://uk.daylightcompany.com/category/floor-lamps/?gclid=CNzhx_z82LMCFUfJtAodbQoAgQ this is a UK site but most craft stuff originates in the US so if you are in the US I would think there would be lots at reasonable prices and if you just want a bulb a good craft shop should sell them. I chose a normal floor standing angle poise type lamp for my birthday and put a full spectrum light bulb (circa £5) in it. I like to do a lot of craft work and haven't been for years because the house we live in is so dark. I also think it contributed to me being especially grumpy in the winter months as the sun doesn't hit our side of the valley at all. I would go out and about and feel really positive about everything and then when I came back home the minute I walked in it would disappear. I have also replaced the spots in our kitchen with full spectrum LED bulbs (spots can be expensive from £8 to £30). I believe that to be full spectrum the 'colour temperature' needs to be 6500K

I searched online and bought the LED spots from an online website. I dont think they are easily available otherwise. I think it has made a difference to me though this is the first winter. I don't suffer from SAD but I am definately more irritable during the darker months.

I hope this helps

NSD almost all the way
No dairy hard cheeses occasionally and homemade ghee
Still trying to work out what makes me tick and what makes me drop

'Chew your drinks and drink your foods'
'Let your knife & fork do the work of your teeth and let your teeth do the work of your stomach'
Mahatma Gandhi
Pea Offline
Captain_AS_Kicker
Captain_AS_Kicker
Hi Jeff,

I think what Grumpalley is talking about is the Ot lights and yes you can find them at a craft store. My friend has SAD and has the box. She also has ADHD and it is hard for her to sit still long enough for it to work. She said if she does put in the time required then it does help.

I bought a light visor once to see if it would help me with fatigue as it is dark here in the Seattle area most of the time. I don't feel like it helped much and put it away.

I think Jeff that it is worth a try. I use my Ot light for sewing projects and I like the light of it. I guess it does make me feel a bit more cheery! Halogens are also great. They produce a nice bright light to read by. They last forever and day too so they are worth the price.

I am glad that the Cymbalta is helping. It is extremely hard to battle A.S., Fibro and depression all at one time. Maybe the Abilify would be a kicker to the Cymbalta like Janet said. I just came off of it to change back to Trazadone and even though I was taking a low dose, it helped with my anxiety.

Praying for you Jeff. Hang in there my friend.

Pea
Diagnosed with A.S. 29 year's ago.
Diagnosed with Fibro 10 year's ago.
Remicade, Intrathecal Pain Pump 2013
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I am now looking it to similar thing for my Dad who has some health issues causing depression. I suspect we underestimate the value of light and its benefits.

I hope you it works if you try it.

L-R: Julianna, Jamie, Diane and Tonimarie

stevec-they also serve who stand and wait
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I don't get "situational" or "clinical" depression, and not sure if I even get "seasonal depression", but did notice that the first winter up here, when it was grey and cloudy and literally snowed with no sun coming out, the entire month of january that when the sun finally came out, I felt noticeably, practically, giddy....in comparison to how I had felt prior. My moods just go from kinda flat to much happier and "bouncier" when the sun comes out after not being out.

So, I bought a full spectrum bulb for my desk lamp at work. I don't think that really does much besides being easier on my eyes. Less likely for migraines with that light i've noticed.

And I also bought a light box. Though it could be the placebo effect, I do think that lightbox helps.

This is similar to the one I bought.

http://www.gaiam.com/happylite-deluxe-light-bath/08-0330,default,pd.html?start=4&cgid=5010803

I did buy mine from Gaiam, but I do believe they had both a small and large version and I bought the small one and it was like half the price of this one.....though it was almost 10 years ago and so this one could've just been cheaper back then....more like $150 back then.

Anyway, no winter has been as bad as that first one, but when I start to feel that way, when I haven't seen the sun for many days in a row, I pull it out.

For me, getting out (for a walk) (or drive) on a sunny day is all I really need.

But its nice having the box as backup.

I think the box works, but I know the natural sunlight works.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
M
mig Offline
M
Hi Jeff,.. I have a friend who swears by the light box as a useful aid. I don't think her's is a seasonal depression specifically and it isn't her only treatment... but if I had depression I know I'd want to try it based on her good results.

Not first hand experience but thought I'd add it, in case it helps, because I want you to feel better!

Hugs!
mig

ilbcrzn Offline OP
Captain_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Captain_AS_Kicker
Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your input, it has really helped. I suffer from both situational and SAD and go to a Behavioral Therapist from time to time when I think I need it. I started taking Cymbalta for pain when Lyrica quit working ( I don't think it did anything but make me hungry all the time). After I retired I started focusing on a past emotional trauma that sent me in to severe depression. I was given an increase in Cymbalta to try to help and it has worked wonderfully. I don't seem to have any side effects which I am greatful for. I hope a light box will help with the seasonal stuff. Thanks to Grumyally and Sue for all the links. Thanks Mig for your personal wish for me. That really meant a lot. SteveC I hope you find one for your dad and it works for him. Thanks again EVERYBODY for your posts. If I get one I will let you all know how it is working for me.

Take Care!!! smile

I can not defeat you but I will not let you win

Jeff

Degenrative disc disease 2005
AS 2008 HLA-B27-
Fibromyalgia 2010
Disability 2012
Back to work part time 2013
Enbrel, Cymbalta,Oxycodone, blah blah blah blah
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now