Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Topic Options
#477169 - 09/19/12 05:37 PM Through The Gaps - Scientific Fraud
MollyC1i Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Brittany, France (since Nov 08...
http://www.nature.com/news/through-the-gaps-1.11427

Through the gaps
A 20-year campaign of scientific fraud says as much about the research community as it does about the perpetrator. The system that allowed such deception to continue must be reformed.

http://www.nature.com/news/retraction-record-rocks-community-1.11434

Retraction record rocks community
Anaesthesiology tries to move on after fraud investigations.

cat

Whatever the journalese, it does not take away from the appalling facts of the matter - but as we know, sadly, 'scientific fraud' aint new, by any kind of a long shot scientific fraud aint new!

One can but hope that ALL those 'scientific' papers, 200 of them, are somehow removed - though 'how' that can be accomplished is extremely doubtful, given the probable many many references and citations in works and publications. Another inditement against the unscrupulous. This is scary. One is so in 'their' hands when it comes to anaesthesiology...!
Anaesthesiology
www.anaesthesiology.net/ - Similarto Anaesthesiology
Anesthesiologists minimize a patient's pain before, during and after medical procedures, as well as monitor the patient's vital signs. They are required to ...

the Lord protect us.

#477170 - 09/19/12 05:54 PM Re: Through The Gaps - Scientific Fraud [Re: MollyC1i]
MollyC1i Offline

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v478/n7367/full/478037c.html

Research community: Pilot scheme for misconduct database

Timothée Flutre, Thomas Julou, Livio Riboli-Sasco & Claire Ribrault
AffiliationsCorresponding author
Nature 478, 37 (06 October 2011) doi:10.1038/478037c
Published online 05 October 2011
Researchers, journal editors and scientific institutions should work together to improve communication about misconduct cases. Although published retractions are logged by PubMed and other databases, and by blogs such as Retraction Watch (http://retractionwatch.wordpress.com), the scientific community needs a way to identify flawed articles that have not been formally retracted but…" (article for purchase)

cat

A start to redress a disgraceful and dangerous situation.

#477201 - 09/20/12 04:29 AM Re: Through The Gaps - Scientific Fraud [Re: MollyC1i]
cemc Offline
Captain_AS_Kicker

Loc: UK
Yes, just so difficult to remove all reference to his results, given the way that every new researcher has to cite so many others.

I guess some flawed articles do get identified in later work if the later researcher does do a thorough analysis, but I don't know if that process would be enough to call into question a whole body of work.

I didn't quite understand where the fraud originated? Was it in totally manufactured patient data? If thats the case, then there might need to be another layer of validity checking and peer review, because as I understand it, peer review really looks at methods and analysis and how data is selected and used, not whether the original data is actually real in the first place.

#477203 - 09/20/12 05:56 AM Re: Through The Gaps - Scientific Fraud [Re: MollyC1i]
Sue22 Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I teach (my classes) about the fraud cases in my field. Thankfully there are only a very few cases, if that many, amongst the thousands, tens of thousands of papers published each year. while peer review may not be perfect, its a pretty good system.

but yes, sadly, sometimes fraud does occur. like the person that caused all the panic about vaccines, when it turns out that his work was fraudulent......

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)

#477206 - 09/20/12 06:14 AM Re: Through The Gaps - Scientific Fraud [Re: MollyC1i]
MollyC1i Offline

Sue - evidence is mounting that his work was 'not' fraudulent. Am glad for that. As has been seen in animals, not all, but many owners, vaccinate the lot in one session, together, and is often seen related vaccine damage. Especially in horses. In America there are 5 vaccines for horses. Many give the shots in 'one' session - cuts down on vet call out charges... Others space out over several weeks. The reactions are basically seen only in those horses who are done in one session!

I would NEVER do an MMR on a child. Appalling. We have never seen so much damage and childhood ills as we see now. Compare pre MMR and look at the stats. No. That guy was right on the nail. Yes, he did indeed try it on a bit with a couple of kiddies, but pharma just killed him dead, for no valid reason. JUST to push their vaccines. Strange, Pharma can get away soooo lightly with what they withold, vis the Bisphosphonate drugs, Vioxx - and all the rest (far too many, but check the FDA warnings and black-box warnings). He is exonerated in many eyes, just not in the eyes of 'some' - now, check who are soooo agin...they are = vested interests! Sad that too many parents (and others - world-wide) have permitted themselves to be brainwashed into sheep-like acceptance.

#477211 - 09/20/12 08:06 AM Re: Through The Gaps - Scientific Fraud [Re: MollyC1i]
Grumpyally Offline
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker

Hear hear Molly,

I totally agree with you on the MMR issue. Instinctively I felt that the MMR was not right for my child. He had single vaccines a good way appart and boy am I glad I went that route paying for it ourselves even though it is frowned upon by many. I did not know of my 'gut' issues at the time. He reacted really badly to the measles vaccine.

I also discovered that if you breast feed your child which I did, when you are weaning them their immune system is weaker while they adapt to not getting help from you and if you breast feed them for a year or so this coincides with when they are called up for the MMR. Luckily I did allow for this but it is not something they tell you.

I read the GAPS book recently and the author (neurologist and neurosurgeon) stated she thought that those children with compromised/leaky guts are vulnerable to the MMR and mentioned said person.

Unfortunately we are just pawns and have no way of knowing whether what we read etc is correct or not. Too much these days is based on profit. My mum was offered thalidomide when she was expecting my sister but she refused it thankgoodness.

'Chew your drinks and drink your foods'
'Let your knife & fork do the work of your teeth and let your teeth do the work of your stomach'
Mahatma Gandhi

#477230 - 09/20/12 04:42 PM Re: Through The Gaps - Scientific Fraud [Re: MollyC1i]
cemc Offline
Captain_AS_Kicker

I worry about those multiple vaccines too. Seems like there are quite a lot of recommendations about doing only single vaccines for anyone with family history of autoimmune disorders or who have had vaccine reactions, but unfortunately its not generally well catered for, so you end up having to fight to find someone who will do it and paying through the nose for the single ones - or ending up not vaccinating.

Who's Online
1 registered (Timo), 29 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Veno-occlusive disease?
by Timo
09/18/14 08:45 PM
strange sensations in arms and legs
by Shirley
09/18/14 06:32 PM
New drug for PsA on trial for AS
by JVentura
09/17/14 07:25 PM
xray results
by lulu12
09/16/14 06:14 PM
AS ruled out by second opinion, what should I do ?
by MarkyT
09/16/14 11:37 AM
Newbie looking for advice please
by Sass
09/15/14 04:23 PM
A fall with fractures
by ReneF
09/15/14 03:53 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
"FITNESS" TEAM! - All Physical Activity & Sports 18043493
Has anyone had Pedicle subtraction Osteotomy ? 719273
hmmm 645443