Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
I just remembered that mouth sores can be a sign of food intolerances, because my beloved other half used to have flare-ups which have pretty much stopped after eliminating the problem foods like gluten, cow milk, and egg whites. Yet another way in which taking a food sensitivity test can be helpful.

Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Quote:
I think the no starch diet decreases ones immune system, which would bring about more mouth sores.

Though I have no scientific proof, I believe that following a lifestyle/diet that promotes a strong immune system is possible. I have not gotten sick in the 3+ years that I've been on the diet. Even during cold and flu season, I have managed to keep illnesses at bay. After years of suffering, I find it interesting that I don't experience any more sinus infections and congestion too...

If sugar is capable of suppressing the immune system, that's one argument to really dial down any intake of sugar. Foods like garlic and supplements like vitamin C and Omega 3's are also suspected to strengthen your immune system. I take at least 4 grams of Vitamin C every day and feel that plays a pretty big role in my ongoing disease management protocol.

I don't think I provided you with a silver bullet solution to the mouth ulcers, but maybe you can experiment with some other things and hopefully you find a way to lose the mouth ulcers for good.

Good luck!

"But I also have to say, for the umpty-umpth time, that life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all." -- from William Goldman's _Princess Bride_
P
P
Mouth ulcers! So glad to hear this topic raised. My rheumatologist's fellow looked at me funny when I said I was getting crops of mouth sores every 2-3 weeks when first diagnosed (previously barely had 1 canker sore in my entire life), and I checked with my dentist, who was entirely unhelpful. Since going on Enbrel they almost totally went away, but I do still notice one or two from time to time. Just starting NSD this week and interested to see how that goes.

Thanks again all, nice to know I'm not crazy (and what does the rheum fellow know, anyways?? Seriously, it' a coincidence??!)

Living life with joy!
L
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
L
I used to get mouth sores all the time. Very painful to eat or talk. Haven't had one since starting my new diet 9 or so months ago.

Lauren S.
Steel_AS_Kicker
Steel_AS_Kicker
An old friend of mine used to call this FRUIT poisoning. That is - an acid event. Let's face it. A change of diet can cause a huge gut change and a big mouth cavity floral change. This is why a reasoned plan for your body is a good idea - i believe much better than a bit of this and a bit of that...
i had phenomenal success with AS and RA but only as a plan for MY body which i experimented with enough to get to know possible events - and of course lots of pointers from John

Ted

One cannot believe all one reads on the Internet...
Abraham Lincoln
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
I just changed my diet far too suddenly and ate lots of oranges (they were in season and so yummy). Too acidic for me and I now have 4 ulcers in my mouth. That should teach me to change my diet too suddenly. I hadn't been eating that much fruit lately, and certainly not much citrus or pineapple.

If I started with a half a mandarin and increased it slowly I'm sure I would've been able to eat these with minimal trouble..

I saw the post on the main forum and lots of people said they get ulcers when AS gets worse, and that it was one of their "signs" of the condition worsening. Yes, if I eat starch I will get more ulcers and weird skin problems too like ulcers and strange small wounds pop up out of nowhere too.

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
I think its common for those of us with damaged guts to not tolerate oranges.

I can never never ever eat oranges. They don't work for me at all. Neither do tomatoes. I also developed an intolerance to strawberries, and I have read quite a bit about others who cannot tolerate tomatoes/oranges/strawberries. They all have something in common.

I can eat just about any other fruit though with no problems; mangoes, peaches, plums, grapes, apples, pears, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, figs, pineapple, cherries, lemons, limes, dates....

-Andrea

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Interesting. Raw oranges used to give me a "dirty" headache. Dirty sounds weird, but it fits the mood / feeling I used get. Anyway.. no more headaches this time, just a mouth full of fr#$ing ulcers. Think it is making me aggro too (that means cranky/angry).

Personally I never seem to have issues with tomato or strawberry. Each to their own...although I have had this weird issue when beef mince was cooked with tomato (bolognese), still it only made a bit stiff for about 3 hours and I don't mind that too much really.

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)