Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Magical_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Magical_AS_Kicker
I love how you think Finnari!

I did the SCDiet to a "T" a few years ago. I was as strict as one can be, and I hung around the SCD yahoo forum quite a bit, making sure I followed that diet 100%. I did it for 6 months not once cheating, and then over the years til now, stuck to a modified version of it, ultimately allowing potatoes, rice, tofu back in my diet.

But now, being most a raw vegan (with healthy amounts of salmon, white fish, or grass fed beef each week). I am feeling awesome, and on my game. There are other foods out there that cause me inflammation, and I finally figured them all out, like tomatoes & oranges are on the top of that list, along with soy.

Anyhow, I think you are on a great path. Juicing even just for the first 1/2 of the day followed by pureed veggies & soups, smoothies, is so amazing for fighting inflammation and giving the gut time to heal.

I found when I was strict SCD. I ate WAY too many animal products. I made the 24 hour yogurt (and this I believe worked against me in the end) and I ate so much damn meat, so much chicken, pork, beef, all very acidic and not "healing foods" in my book. I think some meat is great in a healthy diet, but being mostly plant based with fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, greens, is an optimal diet for me. It has REALLY helped keep my colitis at bay too!

I now think of myself as eating SCD "legal" foods (with small adjustments like some cocoa, maple syrup, etc). I also really identify with being on a very low starch paleo diet. And I eat around 80% raw foods. Living raw foods are so full of enzymes that they work with the body in digestion, and also provide a perfect source of pure water, as opposed to pulling out water from the body to digest a big huge piece of meat, pile of rice & bread, as well as taxing the body by needing the body to create more enzymes to break down the food.

You also made a great point about people poo-pooing fresh fruits & veggies, while eating other foods that might be the true root cause and blaming the fruits & veggies instead. Fresh fruits & veggies are so hydrating and nourishing. They are also very cleansing, and once a body adjusts to eating fresh foods, it will poop 2 or 3 times a day, the colon will be happy, the inflammation will go away, and the person will likely feel way more energy to do other things then digest "dead" foods.

Best of luck to you on your path!! It sounds great!

-Andrea

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
F
Veteran_AS_Kicker
Veteran_AS_Kicker
F
Betty you're whole post is a great inspiration to me. I've been searching for this elusive "key" to getting my gut working for a long time.
Interesting I bought the SCD book by Elaine Gotcshell about 10 years ago. The thought of eating like planned in the book was way to difficult in my mind at the time. but yesterday I was doing my daily meditation and focusing on "robust health" when for some reason the book title entered my consciousness. Weird uh? I hadnt looked at the book for a long long time.

the latest 21 day juice fast has kind of retrained by taste buds. It was nauseating at first to drink green juice in the morning. I was used to gluten free toast, jam and coffee (followed by a morning snack of gluten free bagels with GF pasta and meat for lunch lol).
Now I prefer the green juices with no fruits in them. It's not a problem.
My only concern is weight. I'm 6'4 about 170 now. I went from 180 to 160 on my three week odessey of juicing/one meal a day. Many people asked if I was "sick" lol. Not pleasant.
I have read in Elaine's book people started gaining weight when their gut started to heal so it will be interesting. I'm not for certain what the actual plan is going to be. I might do a three-7 day juice reboot or just start following the diet.
What do you think?

Magical_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Magical_AS_Kicker
I could TOTALLY relate to your morning coffee, gluten free toast with jam, followed by a gluten free baked goodie. OMG. That was me. Maybe some Thai food with tofu & rice for lunch, then more rice & veggies for dinner. Sluggish all day. Horrible gut inflammation. Eating sugary foods & coffee to try and get my energy up. I feel so great now-a-days though, I could never go back, and luckily I don't feel like I am missing out at all. I can't encourage you enough to look into some "raw" recipes out there in cyberspace, the list of amazing healthy recipes is endless, you could never tire of them. I also have some on my website to get you going.

3-7 days of juicing sounds great if you are experiencing inflammation right now, I think it is the best way to break out of inflammation mode. But you can also just jump right into eating SCD legal foods too, with an emphasis on raw fruits & veggies. Or in an ideal world, eat lots of fresh fruits, veggies, greens, fish, etc during the day, then after like 3pm or 4pm, only juice. I seem to find the most inflammation in my gut in the evenings, and going to bed with a bloated tummy full of food takes energy away from the body healing itself, as it has to focus all this energy on digesting food all night.

At the moment I am working on an outline for another raw foods class I will be teaching and don't these Fall Harvest inspired dishes sound divine:

Carrot, Apple, Apricot Chutney
Wilted Kale w/ Veggies & Hemp Seeds
Raw Savory Stuffing w/ Mushroom Gravy
Raw Apple Pie
Raw Peppermint Fudge

all 100% Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, White Sugar Free, Corn Free, & Soy Free. Yet FULL of nutrients, fresh herbs, & tasty ingredients.

Here is a sample of a raw savory stuffing:
1 bunch celery
1 green onion
parsley to taste
1 C almonds (soaked/sprouted)
1 avocado
sage to taste

• In a food processor, puree celery, green onion, and parsley
• Drain (save juice for soup)
• In a nut/coffee mill, grind nuts fine
• Mash avocado thoroughly with a fork
• Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- you could also top with some dried cranberries, and mix in fresh rosemary, and other herbs. even chopped apple too

-Andrea

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
Magical_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Magical_AS_Kicker
Here is an awesome SCD legal Raw Apple pie recipe too:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=raw+...B5251073FD6A9E7

- there are many variations of raw apple pies out there too. I also only soak my raw almonds over night for 8 - 12 hours, then if you bought high quality raw almonds, the skins will slide right off, and the almonds will have popped a bit, as in started to sprout.

Please keep me posted on your new diet & how it makes you feel! My colon has never been happier! I had an xray done a few years ago, and at the time I was bordering on having a "toxic megacolon" the doctor had never seen one more inflammed and full of crap. That is what first inspired me to do SCD.

-Andrea

F
Veteran_AS_Kicker
Veteran_AS_Kicker
F
to be honest they dont sound so divine. lol.

Thankfully for whole foods I can go in there and ask people what those ingredients are exactly. Half the stuff I have no idea what they are. lol.

but i have a vitamix and a juicer so I've at least been training for a while. And I have bought a lot of raw deserts lately but even those will need to go, the ones with agave and maple syrup.

You have no idea how much white sugar I've consumed in my thirties. I did an ALCAT allergy test and it said I had a severe intolerance towards it and probably explains the candida and gut dysbiosis.

Anyway I'm glad you're on here. I rarely look in here anymore and if I'm going to check out your blog for recipes. Going to make me some almond cookies and a bunch of cocunut sweets.

Magical_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Magical_AS_Kicker
Oh yes, I totally avoid agave. I have read it feeds klebsiella like wildfire. It's got a prebiotic, inulin or something.

My first choice of sweetners is: medjool dates.
2nd choice is honey, sparingly.
followed by maple syrup once in a while.

I HATE white sugar though. I absolutely cannot tolerate it. It makes my joints and skin "crawl". And I hate the mood swings with it.

Most of the time my taste buds are jumping for joy with just fresh fruit though. Lately a plate of fresh peaches & blueberries has been the most perfect afternoon snack or dessert.

I also don't believe that fruit feeds candida. I believe white sugar, grains, dairy lactose all feed candida. And one last thing, to avoid bloating and candida, eat your fresh fruits alone, without heavy proteins or fats. If combined with meats or fats, your easily digestible fruit will get hung up in yoru GI tract & ferment, therefore causing those candida symptoms. Look up "food combining" rules if you experience bloating on SCD.

Best of Luck & Health!!
-Andrea

F
Veteran_AS_Kicker
Veteran_AS_Kicker
F
Yea I learned long time ago not to eat fruit or veggies with my food. Dont want to make wine in my belly. LOL.

Even now under no particular special diet its pretty clean:

fruit smoothie in morning.
two GF toast a little later. with coffee
veggies juiced for lunch
chips and guacomole a little later.
supper meat and potatoes or rice (ouch).
night snack of raw desert.

S
seb Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
S
This post fascinates me. I just watched 'fat, sick and nearly dead' and am now pumped up and inspired to give this a shot. Do you mind if I ask what you are juicing Betty?

Cheers!

seb #476185 09/02/12 03:24 PM
Magical_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Magical_AS_Kicker
Hey Seb,

I am actually in the middle of a 3 Day Juice Fast right now, over the Labor Day Weekend.

Over the past 2 months I have been working 7 days per week, (as I started my new business on the weekends) and I have gone on some overnight trips out of town (work related) where much wine and restaurant food, coffee, etc was consumed (I work for a winery during the week). Anyhow, all the restaurant food, working long days and drinking coffee again started to wear on me, so I decided to take a 3 day break, close down my business for the weekend, and drink some juice. It is going great so far!

I buy most of my produce at a local farm stand, so I am juicing a large amount of gravestein apples, cucumbers, zucchini, and some fresh peaches!, and then I add in lemons, limes, ginger, celery, parsley, wheatgrass, watercress, or chard.

My most favorite drink in the entire world is: 2 green apples, 1 lemon, 1/2 bunch celery, bunch of parsley, 1-2 inches ginger root, and handfull of wheatgrass if I have it on hand. This juice is the perfect way for me to start a day. I had one yesterday before racing out the door to an early yoga class, and had the best yoga experience! I also refrain from taking curcumin or any other supplements during a fast. Just a way to let the body clean itself out and do some repair work.

It is pretty common for a frist time juice fast for people to feel crappy the fist 2 days, low energy, maybe a headache, but usually by 3 day, everyone I know who fasts, is feeling unlimited energy, low or no inflammation, and excited out life. After yoga yesterday I felt awesome for a few hours, did some errands, and then crawled into bed for the best "detox" nap ever. Then went about my evening cutting up 40 pounds of farm fresh peaches into freezer bags for smoothies year round. To add to our 80 pounds of frozen cherries, and tomorrow we are going to friends organic farm to pick free blackberries. I love to stock up on fruit during the summer when it is around $1 per pound and then freeze it, along with all my raw frozen nuts. I feel so much like a squirrel!

-Andrea

Magical_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Magical_AS_Kicker
Okay, small update. This just fast only went 24 hours. I broke down this evening for a homemade almond milk, raw cacao, date, ice, vanilla bean, "milk shake" (loaded with magnesium, posttasium, and feel good properties). ~ and boy did it feel good!!

We have a super busy day tomorrow, and my energy was just shot today, spent all of it in bed. But I still feel like it was a positive experience, overall, but wow, did my "seasonal allergies" kick my butt today. Sneeze, sniffle. It happened last time around day 8 of my 14 day juice fast, but today was only day 2. I will totally juice fast again, but decided to add back in some smoothies and fermented sauer kraut tonight to be on my "A" game for a big day tomorrow.

I am totally pain free at the moment! And I am still a huge proponet of juicing. (Juicing is powerful stuff!) Just wanted to be honest this time I only went 2 days. wink But I did stay strong and avoid eating any of the whole albacore tuna my husband smoked in our smoker all weekend. It was cured in brown sugar, and looked & smelled amazing, but I am going to stick to a very low key vegan diet for a few more days.

I will pack some juices along for our trip tomorrow, but will also pack along some homemade raw coconut, date, nut, cacao based snacks for increased energy tomorrow.

Cheers to Health!
-Andrea

Last edited by bettyrawker; 09/03/12 03:44 AM.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (haydenk), 113 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM