Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#468783 05/03/12 03:31 PM
V
ValsMum Offline OP
Steel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker
V
Does your joint pain and swelling move around? One month it will be in my left knee then the next 2 months in my right knee. Now it is right knee, right wrist. I should be grateful when I got dxd with RA it was both knees and both wrists, maybe I am getting better,with normal sed rate.

Do any of you with AS get both knees and both wrists swollen at the same time?
Those of you with RA does your joint pain migrate from joint to joint? How often does it migrate?

Thanks!

Diet change has improved my RA. I feel best eating raw veggies and some fruits and avoiding grains, sugars, nightshades, beans and dairy. Sed rate dropped from 65 to 19, but it took over a year.
www.fatsickandnearlydead.com

excess fat/oils = pain for me
recipes for raw food on Youtube "raw food romance"
and "healing josephine" Josephine is in remission from RA after two years by change diet/exercise
G
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
G
Mine is AS and tends to go in sides usually any aches/stiffness I have are all on the left hand side SI joint, neck, ribs/chest/, feet including my iritis, that has been 7+ times in my left eye (lost count) but only once in my right though I have had what I have felt as starting symptoms that have never progressed.

This weekend my neck ache which has always been on my left side swopped to my right?? I dont know what that is about and my hip and SI joints were sensitive too for a day. My neck is still stiff on the right and completely gone for now on my left which lasted at least 6 months.

I tended to find that if I had iritis then I didnt hurt anywhere else but general stiffness tends to start in one place and then 'grow' to others on the same side.

I didnt realise until I was measured that my movement was more restricted down my left which was a bit depressing however it has improved with the NSD. So far my wrists aren't affected and my knees rarely (appart from when my son was a baby and I put it down to always getting up and down from the floor) but again at the weekend my right knee had sharp pains.

NSD almost all the way
No dairy hard cheeses occasionally and homemade ghee
Still trying to work out what makes me tick and what makes me drop

'Chew your drinks and drink your foods'
'Let your knife & fork do the work of your teeth and let your teeth do the work of your stomach'
Mahatma Gandhi
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
i'm dx'ed with undiff spondy.

for me, its usually in pairs, but one side always much worse than the other.

so symptomatically that seems somewhere between the description of the two diseases.

but i also have the whole SI thing flaring. that's kinda classic spondy. and the bowel stuff, though i'm learning that can also be RA. and then i get much more "generic" "autoimmune/autoinflammatory" symptoms (eye stuff but not uveitis, mouth and tonuge stuff, skin rashes).

sometimes i think its hard to know for sure when our symptoms aren't "classic textbook". so glad i have a rheumy that is most interested in treating me, see if what we try works, use that as a dx tool as well.

one difference, you talk about joint swelling. my joints get fluid in them, the doctors can feel that. but they don't hugely visibly swell. though i can't get my rings on and off anymore. but maybe if i lost some weight?

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
V
ValsMum Offline OP
Steel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker
V
Grumpy Ally,

Thanks for letting me understand your disease. Right now my left side is swollen(wrist, knee and elbow)(but not that bad) and my left eye is red, however I have never had a eye diagnosis, but the past year there have been several days where I had red eyes.

Sue,
My knee cap is swollen and since I'm thin it looks goofy, my wrist looks bigger than the other one. Somedays I wonder if my RA has morphed into AS, I know-- I don't think it can, but Its not symetrical. Since it is something I have to live with everyday I am curious why it does not seem like textbook RA. I know a disease is just a bunch of symptoms, right.
Thanks for sharing Sue.

Diet change has improved my RA. I feel best eating raw veggies and some fruits and avoiding grains, sugars, nightshades, beans and dairy. Sed rate dropped from 65 to 19, but it took over a year.

and "healing josephine" Josephine is in remission from RA after two years by change diet/exercise
L
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
L
I used to only have AS affect my right SI/Hip for the first 3 1/2 years. It was really strange because when I switched to NSD and then cheated, it swapped over to my left side. Now if I cheat on the diet, it can flip-flop from right to left overnight! The good thing is that between the diet and the switching of sides so quickly, flares never really develop into a full-blown flare.

Lauren S.
V
ValsMum Offline OP
Steel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker
V
HI Lauren,
That's good that your flares don't develop into full blown flares with NSD. On Easter Sunday I ate a lot of cookies, some hashbrowns and whipped cream with strawberries I paid for it big time, everything hurt for days. Finally I got over it, I won't forget that flare for awhile it hurt too bad. Did you have elevated sed rate with your AS? Did it come down with NSD? Mine is normal, after being in the 50's. I have been doing NSD since August, I cheat a tiny bit , but basically I eat 90% NSD.
Take care!

L
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
L
Hi ValsMum,

Yes, the memory of pain is a good motivator to stay on the diet. I would seriously rather go hungry until I can find my next No Starch meal in order to avoid the least amount of pain.

I don't think I am what you would call an "indicator", because last time I went to the rheumy I was in a flare (as I always was, even when I didn't think I was in one because I was so used to the pain), my sed rate was normal.

There is no way I can cheat. I have found that I am highly sensitive to starch. The only time I experienced eating low starch and didn't have pain was this weekend. I pretty much didn't eat anything at all, and what I did eat I ate very small portions and I do believe a couple of the things I ate had starch and definitely dairy which normally sets me off.

Lauren S.
V
ValsMum Offline OP
Steel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker
V
Hi Lauren,
I avoid starch some days all together and I am really sensitive to grains too. I have been in a ton of pain when my sed rate was close to normal or in normal range, so that does not matter much.
I just asked becasue I am curios and mine did come down a lot after being soo high. It took months to come down and dairy makes my knees swell like nothing else.
Sed Rate is a nice tool when you start a diet like nsd and then it comes way down and the only thing you can attribute it to is diet if there were no new medicine started.

Moderated by  WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (haydenk, 1 invisible), 133 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM