Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Topic Options
#466811 - 04/08/12 08:59 AM Decisive Role in Autoimmune Diseases - Research
MollyC1i Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Brittany, France (since Nov 08...
Exciting Research -

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/04/120405075223.htm

Microflora Have Decisive Role With Autoimmune Illnesses, Some Good, Some Bad
ScienceDaily (Apr. 5, 2012) (snip...) "— When the right microorganisms are at work, immune cells involved in the development of autoimmune illnesses like psoriasis, multiple sclerosis and arthritis, can develop anti-inflammatory properties. Scientists at Charité -- Universitätsmedizin Berlin and the Institute for Research in Biomedicine, Bellinzona, Switzerland, have now made this discovery. The scientists have demonstrated that particular fungi activate the immune cells involved in the development of certain illnesses, whereas other microorganisms, in particular bacteria that are found naturally on our skin, lend an anti-inflammatory function to them."

"... the key cells causing illness can develop an anti-inflammatory 'twin'," explained Dr. Christina Zielinski, first author of the study."

""I am convinced that an imbalance in our microbial microflora has a decisive influence on the development of chronic inflammatory illnesses like rheumatism, Morbus Crohn and psoriasis. Our organism is composed of ten times more microbial cells than our body's own cells. Keeping this in check is not easy. Interleukin 1b is now turning out to be a decisive molecular switch, which the microbes use to dictate between healthy or sick," says Dr. Christina Zielinski. She sees great potential in the therapy of inflammatory diseases by blocking this messenger substance. In contrast to other immune therapies this does not lead to a weakening of the immune system, but rather enables the cells instead to be anti-inflammatory if needed, without losing the ability to fight dangerous pathogens."

cat

Way to go... Exciting research. This is what we need - an end to the weakening of the immune system which are the dangers in the present biologics.

Interestingly, that photo of the psoriasis skin is *exactly what the backs of my heels, soles of feet and palms of hands look like when in an 'outbreak'. Yet, the doctors at the big time hospital in Paris were UNable to recognise psoriasis when right under their collective noses! ('You haven't got psoriatic evidence in your heels and elbows...'). Sheesh. Shakes head in wonderment. (Anyways, I've dumpted em, a right nest of collective clonkers).

#466833 - 04/08/12 02:56 PM Re: Decisive Role in Autoimmune Diseases - Research [Re: MollyC1i]
Sue22 Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Upstate NY
the topic of the gut microbiome and health (and disease) was one of the runner's up in "Sciences" "Breakthrough of the Year". A few seminal papers published this year showing: 1. how diet affects the gut microbiome and 2. how gut microbiome makeup affects health, everything from IBD to diabetes and heart disease.

i predict that this is just the tip of the iceberg and this will remain a very hot area of research for years to come. then hopefully "cures" or at least "better management" based on those results. already the fact that probiotics can help IBD, etc is having an impact.

thanks for the post smile

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)

Who's Online
1 registered (MikeGinnyMD), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Anti-IL-17A drugs in the pipeline
by MikeGinnyMD
47 minutes 59 seconds ago
Not sure
by Lon
Today at 12:35 PM
2nd hip replacement went well
by WendyR
Today at 11:25 AM
numb hands when i wake up ?
by EricaK
Yesterday at 03:38 PM
Surgery - Medical tourism
by ceasor
Yesterday at 09:40 AM
Teff flour - is there starch in it?
by Kaisita
12/18/14 12:52 PM
AS Patient under methotrexate for 7 years now.
by Luigavinovic21
12/17/14 05:17 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
"FITNESS" TEAM! - All Physical Activity & Sports 19397495
Has anyone had Pedicle subtraction Osteotomy ? 784785
hmmm 736496
What to do about healthcare? Can it be fixed? 468817
User names revisited 363727
Medicinal Marijuana 317849
OMG!!!! 314006
A.S and beds, What do you find best? 311990
No/Low Starch Diet Success Stories 245700