Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Topic Options
#463698 - 02/27/12 03:10 AM IS-joint or prolapse?
gilth Offline
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker

I've gotten an MRI of my lower spine ordered as my doctor and me wonder if I've had a small prolapse. It came after an intense flare I had after quitting Voltaren the first time. The flare hit my right shoulder, lower spine and hip area at once. It was painfull enough to make both my legs give away. Afterward I've had a constant pain problem in my lower spine. Feels like it's the very lowest joint, and it gives me shooting pains down the back of my left leg all the way to the foot, and more so if I arch my back only a little. When it felt more inflamed it also affected me in giving me a little incontinence. Extending my leg then moving it forward provokes the pain. It's better after having been in motion. Worse in the morning. After prolonged static standing or sitting I get numb in my left buttock.

Prolapse sounds like the right guess to me, an IS-joint inflammation wouldnt give the same symptoms, or am I wrong?

Love
gilth
Herniated disc L5/S1
Herniated disc C6/C7
bone marrow edema jaw joint
Vitamin D defficiency
Stomach ulcer

#463702 - 02/27/12 03:54 AM Re: IS-joint or prolapse? [Re: gilth]
Sue22 Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Upstate NY
i'm a lot less familiar with what a prolapse is, but the way you describe it, it sounds a lot like me, and for me it is the SI joint. depending on which side and what part is most inflamed, various muscles in the lower back and buttocks spasm. and depending on that, on the left side, i tend to get sciatica type pain down my leg. its kinda odd that the right SI is worse, the side that has problems more often and worse problems when it does, but its the left with the sciatica type pain, just depends on where the sciatic nerve travels through the muscles.

last night / this morning, my lower back was in moderate spasm (stiff as a board, but not screaming in pain spasms) that causes me to walk completely bent over and crooked. the flector patch over my SI joint helps it not get as bad as it used to and better in between too. i'm so thankful for them. but when its even too much for the flector patch, well, i started a 6 day pred taper today, want to nip this flare in the bud. but that's really only an option cause i only flare badly every few months, and have good periods in between.

and yeh, that feeling of being kicked square in the middle of the butt, i get that too.

i have a question or two for you:

is it really tender, bruised feeling, right in that dimply area where the lower spine meets the pelvis? if so, could be your SI joint.

does icing that area help?

like i said, i am not familiar with "prolapse" so i can't differentiate between the two, but i am intimately familiar with the SI joint. when its bad, it hurts in the lower back, butt, sometimes down the leg, a lot of that is muscle spasm for me. but there is always that tenderness over the SI joint when it flares.

and i've been fortunate to have a few wonderful manual PTs and now chiro who have been able to differentiate and know that my problems are from my SI joint and not from something else.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. fish oil. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs

#463705 - 02/27/12 04:34 AM Re: IS-joint or prolapse? [Re: Sue22]
gilth Offline
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker

Well a prolapse is when the soft tissue between your spine discs (wich is covered by strings that hold it in place) breaks out between these strings, leading to the fluid in the disc escaping. The theory then is that the pain resulting IS sciatic due to the sciatic nerve getting squeezed.

My doctor tried to explain it to me like that anyways. I've always heard a prolapse happends after heavy lifting or injury, but he said it doesnt, you can often get it withouth mechanical involvement. So the MRI he ordered should target to see damage to the area between the bones in the spine, from what I gather. I suppose thats where you get fusing in AS?

Edited by gilth (02/27/12 04:34 AM)
Herniated disc L5/S1
Herniated disc C6/C7
Vitamin D defficiency
Stomach ulcer

#463706 - 02/27/12 04:42 AM Re: IS-joint or prolapse? [Re: Sue22]
gilth Offline
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker

Quote:
is it really tender, bruised feeling, right in that dimply area where the lower spine meets the pelvis? if so, could be your SI joint.

The pain is definely right where the spine meets the pelvis. It varies to be honest, some days it's tender and feels bruised, yes. Other days it's just the shooting pain if i move my pelvis back and my stomach forwards, if you understand what I mean.

Quote:
does icing that area help?

Hmm...warmth helps, havent considered using icing. I will try it out now though smile
Herniated disc L5/S1
Herniated disc C6/C7
Vitamin D defficiency
Stomach ulcer

#463717 - 02/27/12 08:23 AM Re: IS-joint or prolapse? [Re: gilth]
cemc Offline
Captain_AS_Kicker

Loc: UK
Sounds a bit like sciatica (pinching of the sciatic nerve) to me. If it doesn't go away with antiinflammatories then you could ask your GP to examine, decide if it is sciatica, and advise on what to do. Mostly in the UK sciatica seems to be treated fairly minimally at least to start with (perhaps physio with back care advice as appropriate, and mild pain relief).

#463736 - 02/27/12 10:34 AM Re: IS-joint or prolapse? [Re: gilth]
Pea Offline
Lieutenant_AS_Kicker

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Is prolapse the same as a bulging disc?
Remicade, Intrathecal Pain Pump 2013

#463743 - 02/27/12 11:43 AM Re: IS-joint or prolapse? [Re: Pea]
MollyC1i Offline

Loc: Brittany, France (since Nov 08...
Yes. Bulging disc.

But also with that bit of incontinecne could be equine cauda syndrome - that is a nice wee comorbidity that can run along with AS.

Hope the MRI sorts out a DDx for you.

#463817 - 02/28/12 12:38 AM Re: IS-joint or prolapse? [Re: MollyC1i]
gilth Offline
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker

yep, bulging disc it is. And Cauda Equina struck me too, but wouldnt that be irreversible by itself?

Anyways, I have the great fortune of being on another antibiotic, for a nasty nose infection this time *sigh*, and I got some ulcers under my eye lid wich turned into an eye infection, so antibiotic drops and cream for the eye. Have had a problem with chest cramps lately, according to the doctor, after listening to me and EKG is not heart, but twice it's felt like something passed my heart, making it cramp for a second. So probably just a cramp or spasm in a chest muscle somewhere on the inside, but it scared me really bad, what a nasty feeling frown
Herniated disc L5/S1
Herniated disc C6/C7
Vitamin D defficiency
Stomach ulcer

#463841 - 02/28/12 05:20 AM Re: IS-joint or prolapse? [Re: gilth]
MollyC1i Offline

Loc: Brittany, France (since Nov 08...
I get those chehst cramps Gilth - right horrible and a bit scary. Odd they are only 'ever' on the left side! Sigh. What a bally bind these bodies can be - hrumph!!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Anyone else get twitching?
by Songstress06
Today at 11:16 AM
former employers
by elmerfudd
Yesterday at 07:37 PM
Would love some advice and support!- new member
by Songstress06
Yesterday at 11:15 AM
My year is over
by rumble
Yesterday at 12:34 AM
prescript assist
by light
07/20/14 02:30 PM
Pulsed emf
by jay_bharat
07/20/14 04:28 AM
Decided to go on the "juice". Recipe suggestions?
by csphysio
07/19/14 10:55 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
"FITNESS" TEAM! - All Physical Activity & Sports 15033947
Has anyone had Pedicle subtraction Osteotomy ? 666739
hmmm 575291
What to do about healthcare? Can it be fixed? 395932
User names revisited 299492
A.S and beds, What do you find best? 267808
Medicinal Marijuana 266609
OMG!!!! 265323
THE STARCH CONTENT OF FOODS - THE LIST 214731