Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Topic Options
#462772 - 02/14/12 08:14 PM I stand by my statements
Blueforest
Unregistered

At the end of this post I am including an article in it's entirety simply because I was shocked by it's content but before you read it I'd like to ask you a question: "What do you think is the leading cause of death and injury in the US each year? Cancer? Heart Disease?…. Nope! The American Medical system! And I'm not talking about people who do not have access to health care. I'm talking about deaths directly caused by physicians. Admin's Note: Readers, please note that the article BlueForest references at the beginning of this paragraph has been removed from the end of this post. That decision has nothing to do with its content, but rather is due to KA's statement in its Rights and Responsibilities regarding fair use and copyright law. A link to the article in question IS included at the end of this article. --WolverineFan [Brad]

Dr. Lucian L. Leape from the Harvard School of Public Health

http://www.investigatorawards.org/investigators/default.asp?l=3&i=462

believes ONE (this is not a blanket statement) of the reasons for MANY (not all) of these iatrogenic deaths is the problem of substance abuse among physicians.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37396390/ns/...l/#.TzsC4UxWrmJ

Since the mid-90's he's been advocating for mandatory drug testing among doctors the way pilots or air traffic controllers are subjected to these tests but doctors have so far refused for some of the reasons mentioned in the following article:

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2010/08/physicians-undergo-random-drug-testing.html

There are so many things wrong with this doctor's reasoning, I don't even know where to begin.

"Ok, I get it. Impaired physicians are bad. We don’t want strung out cokeheads and stumbling alcoholics roaming the halls of our hospitals."?!?!

As a physician he should know cocaine is not the problem and doctors are never "stumbling alcoholics". They are highly functioning alcoholics. Yes! There is such a thing.

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/problem/a/functional.htm

So… "What if a doctor is called to give a urine sample a week after he or she has smoked pot?"….. What are we going to do with a doctor whose blood alcohol is 0.09 (enough to get you a DUI)?

How can a doctor say such things when you can read for yourselves in the following citation:

Database: PsycINFO

Social drinking, memory and information processing. Nicotine, caffeine and social drinking: Behaviour and brain function.
Nichols, Jennifer M.;Martin, France

Nicotine, caffeine and social drinking: Behaviour and brain function.(pp. 315-330)Amsterdam, Netherlands: Harwood Academic PublishersSnel, Jan (Ed); Lorist, Monicque M. (Ed), (1998). xi, 473 pp.

Abstract
This chapter provides a review of the evidence suggesting that social drinking of alcohol may exert a toxic effect on brain functioning, such that memory processes and information processing abilities are impaired. A number of theories which relate to social drinking or posit a neurotoxic effect of alcohol are reviewed and consideration is given to a continuum of impairment such that social drinking occupies a place low on the continuum of alcohol related brain damage. When alcohol is consumed at levels which are regarded as socially acceptable, especially when large amounts of alcohol are consumed in one sitting, recent research indicates that impaired information processing and memory deficits may result.
(PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2010 APA, all rights reserved)

Am I saying ALL doctors are alcoholics? NO!
Am I saying ALL doctors are unreliable? NO!

I am saying:

“Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Note: The link below is to an article called "The American Medical System Is the Leading Cause of Death and Injury in the United States." BlueForest had originally included the entire article in this post, but per the KA Rights and Responsibilities, we do not permit the reprinting of entire articles due to copyright restrictions. If you would like to read the article, simply follow the link. --Wolverinefan [Brad]

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/medicine/usamed.htm

Edited by wolverinefan (02/15/12 11:56 AM)
Edit Reason: Please note, my changes are in [color:#FF0000]red[/color]

#462802 - 02/15/12 07:30 AM Re: I stand by my statements [Re: ]
cemc Offline
Captain_AS_Kicker

Loc: UK
Brad, I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but as a reader and as a forum member, I would have preferred that you put your comments in a separate post rather than modifying blueforests post. As a moderator I believe you do have the right to edit posts for specific reasons,and I accept the Admin note in the first paragraph falls into this category. Its all the other comments that I feel belong in a personal post from you. This kind of admin/moderator involvement does make me a bit nervous about what I might post in the future and causes me to doubt how "open" this forum actually is for members to pass on information and express personal opinions or interpretations of information.

#462805 - 02/15/12 08:05 AM Re: I stand by my statements [Re: cemc]
wolverinefan Offline

Loc: Motown
Cemc,

I'm afraid I'm a bit confused. The only comments I added to Blueforest's post were the two explaining why I was altering the post at that spot.

Is it possible that you think that I wrote every section in the original post that is in italics? If so, let me assure you that isn't the case--my two comments about the changes ARE in italics, but all other text in italics was written by Blueforest as part of her original post.

If that is the problem, I apologize for the confusion I caused and I will edit the post again to make it clearer which changes are mine. If that is not the problem, then I'm honestly not sure what I could have done differently. I *had* to physically edit the actual post to delete the article text. As for my comments, I thought I included only pertinent text explaining the rule in the Rights and Responsibilities, and I only included that much so that both Blueforest and members would know why I edited the post. If you could point out the specific parts of my notes that your feel went too far, that would be very helpful to me and help me write any notes I might have to leave in the future.

Finally, just so everyone knows, I also sent a private message to Blueforest when I made the changes so I could personally explain why the changes were made. That is standard procedure when an admin or moderator make extensive changes to another member's post.

Thanks for your post, and I look forward to hearing more from you so I can clarify this situation.

Brad

#462825 - 02/15/12 12:04 PM Re: I stand by my statements [Re: ]
avonldy Offline
Major_AS_Kicker

Loc: N. Sacramento Valley
Brad is right. Almost every forum I use has rules about not posting entire articles because of copyright issues. As long as there is a link directing us to the original article, we can read it for ourselves. Thank you, Brad for being on top of things.
But live your todays.
Do the very best you can
leave the rest to God.
God Bless,

#462894 - 02/16/12 08:39 AM Re: I stand by my statements [Re: wolverinefan]
cemc Offline
Captain_AS_Kicker

Loc: UK
Brad, thanks for clearing that up. Yes, I did think that all the comments in italics were yours, mostly because they didn't seem to be written in the same style as the normal typeface ones. Putting the moderated bit in red has clarified that - thanks.

No further comment.

Who's Online
7 registered (bettyrawker, Smed, cutlineman, Inanna, joseph9a, michiganmom, 1 invisible), 30 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
2 natural and effective anti-microbial
by ajohnson
Today at 12:16 AM
Taking Steroids
by joseph9a
Yesterday at 08:45 AM
Effect of bifocals on my cervical posture.
by ynot
10/19/14 09:50 PM
Heading back to the gym.
by Rebelle69
10/19/14 09:52 AM
Best TNF
by susieqsh
10/19/14 01:48 AM
How long does it take for spontaneous fusion?
by ynot
10/18/14 07:35 PM
Myofascial pain
by jay_bharat
10/18/14 04:27 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
"FITNESS" TEAM! - All Physical Activity & Sports 18464485
Has anyone had Pedicle subtraction Osteotomy ? 739608
hmmm 674756
What to do about healthcare? Can it be fixed? 441063
User names revisited 334406
A.S and beds, What do you find best? 296504