Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sue22 Offline OP
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
OP Offline
i tried ensure for a short time back in 1993 when my gastritis / IBS started. i hated the taste, still have an aversion to it. and i think jay is absolutely right about how unhealthy it really is.

something i used to make before i had to give up dairy:
plain stoneyfield yogurt
fresh fruit (berries usually)
nut powder (almond or hazelnut)
organic coconut (optional)
blended all together.

now i mix:
oatmeal
fruit
nut powder
coconut (sometimes)
cinnamon
occasionally melt in a small square of chocolate

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Dow Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
My dad used to drink that when he couldn't tolerate regular food, and needed some way to keep from losing weight. He called it "Endure" tongue2

Dow
Veteran_AS_Kicker
Veteran_AS_Kicker
I also have been battling Gastritis, stricture and hiatal hernia, so the endure, so far has been part of a anti Gastritis campaign. I did try some protein powder from GNC and I don't think I digested it right. So for now, kill me or cure me I am going to keep with the ensure. After six months of constant gastritis and weight loss. I have for the last week, been feeling better in the gut. This is a huge step, now I just have 20 more issues to overcome.

Sue22 Offline OP
OP Offline
Gastritis:

developed IBS in 1991-1992. no pain. just not digesting my food properly. they couldn't figure it out.

a year later: oct 1993. developed really severe gastritis. took about 3 years to recover from. the first was so so painful and debilitating.

here are the things that helped my gastritis:

1. daily prilosec. every day since 1993. tried zantac, tagamet, pepsid (2 of the three first). they were like eating candy. but the prilosec really made a difference. can tell when i've gone too long without it. like when i fall asleep without my meds and take it the next morning.

2. keeping one's stomach full. small meals every few hours. never let yourself start to feel even a little hungry!

3. keep a food / symptom diary. from that i found i couldn't tolerate dairy, underripe fruit, or acidic foods (cranberries or their juice, tomato sauce, citrus juices, other acidic fruits). staying away from them made my stomach hurt a lot less. your list may be different, but i do think food / diet is an important part of the puzzle.

4. no caffeine!

5. ginger: ginger herbal tea. ginger in general. fresh grated ginger. even now, every morning, i have a nice big 2 cup mug of ginger herbal tea.

6. mint / peppermint: if and only if you do not have reflux. i don't have reflux. mint for me is even better than ginger. when my stomach is at its worst, candy canes, altoids, mint herbal tea.

7. no calcium carbonate (antacids). they make the gastritis worse. trust me.

8. at its worst, mylanta (double strength cherry cream with Al(OH)3, Mg(OH)2, simenthicone) as a quick emergency "bandaid". when my stomach was at its worst, i had to take mylanta at bedtime (so my stomach wouldn't eat itself as i tried to sleep) then i'd wake from the pain ~5 am and have to take it again. then i'd get up and eat and take it a third time before my drive in to work. during the day i could get by with food buffering my stomach. but at night i needed the mylanta.

i still have to take care of my stomach every day. but now its largely under control. but those first few years were awful!

maybe some of these tricks could help you as well?

sue

Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
chiro
walk, bike
Veteran_AS_Kicker
Veteran_AS_Kicker
I think my Gastritis came about after prolonged stress. along with the meds I was taking. Thanks for the tips, they do make a difference. Thanks Sue, for posting that up. The gut thing is a miserable condition.

Sue22 Offline OP
OP Offline
(work related) stress was certainly exacerbating mine, though not the cause. changing jobs helped, though it still took about 2 years to heal up enough to feel "normal" again.

meds: many nsaids will flare my gastritis quite quickly. of the ones i've tried, ibuprofen and ketoprofen are by far the worst. one pill does it. aleve does it pretty fast as well, after a few pills over a few days. and that's on a full stomach, plenty of water, on prilosec, etc. even the cox2 inhibitors eventually got to my stomach as well, just took longer (taking it 2-3 times a week over three years). so yes, be careful of those meds.

as for stress, as a doc understandingly said to me, "life is stressful." all we can do is steer clear of the truly stressful people and situations, and find ways to unwind and relax whenever we can. the first (staying away from stress is often easier said than done) but finding ways to unwind, that's something within my power: nature, music, funny tv and movies, being around god (funny) friends and colleagues, a bath or hot shower, a good cup of tea......

sue

chiro
walk, bike
Sue22 Offline OP
OP Offline
here's a new twist on things......reading the book, "the end of illness", skimming ahead, the chapter on vitamins and supplements.....and this coming from an oncologist..........antioxidants (vitamin E and vitamin C) may help cancer cells the same way they help normal cells.....thus helping cancer cells to thrive........

i'll know better once i get to those chapters

also, this doctors opinion was that unless one is trying to treat some disease state with supplements, they are probably not warranted for the general population of "healthy" individuals.

since i do have health issues the vitamins and supplements may be helping me.

i sure do feel better between flares than i used to.

so for now, will be taking vitamins and supplements.

but due to the controversy, maybe will be more cautious and err on the side of the lower level of what is proposed.

sue

chiro
walk, bike
S
Copper_AS_Kicker
Copper_AS_Kicker
S
Since the topic of vit C is up, I ran into this...
http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=350
The section "It can't hurt, or can it?" is a bit shocking as it discusses exactly what you said and more sue. If I read right they say a whole c complex is best?

Also, since most corn and soy is GMO it makes you wonder about the suppliment even more.

AS & Fibro. NSD + no sugar
Sue22 Offline OP
OP Offline
i did not read through the entire discussion in detail, but did see enough scientifically incorrect statements to think that one should take all that was said there with a grain of salt.

i take esterC, which is calcium ascorbate. since its not acidic, my stomach can tolerate it. it also comes with citrus bioflavinoids to help with absorption.

i'll have to think about the whole concept of ascorbate vs a complex, right now i can't really comment on that.

but an antioxidant doesn't remove oxygen, so that comment about cells being starved for oxygen and antioxidants affecting oxygen isn't true. antioxidants react with free radicals, cleaning up damaging free radicals. that's a good thing if we don't want our good DNA damaged. but apparently those free radicals also attack cancer cells, so that's where the antioxidants might cause a problem. maybe more of a problem for someone who actually has cancer.

there were other problems with their reasoning, that was just one simple example.

i'm not that concerned with GMO in general. sometimes we do have to be careful, like when we genetically engineer in a pesticide that also kills the beneficial insects. but other modifications are no different than what one would get through old fashioned breeding, other than we can now create exactly what we want without having to wait for that one rare mutation to take advantage of.

sue

chiro
walk, bike
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Megan, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!