Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
As long as you are comfortable with your doctor and are comfortable regarding the tests that you are using for evaluation, then perhaps you are fretting over nothing. There is nothing you need to justify to me, but I'd be awfully suspicious of extreme diagnoses. While they certainly aren't out of the question, one must ask how probable they are.

1100 pages on vitamin D and calcium? Really?

Kind Regards,
Jay

Almost all of us long for peace and freedom; but very few of us have much enthusiasm for the thoughts, feelings, and actions that make for peace and freedom. - Aldous Huxley

Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now. - Thomas Jefferson
Sue22 Offline OP
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
OP Offline
hi jay,

thanks for the replies. not so much justifying to anyone as much as thinking out loud (so thanks for letting me use you as a sounding board (my husband gets bored with being the only one!) and allowing me to verbalize my logic.

been doing a bunch more reading, and now i'm 99.99% sure that the elevated ALT, elevated B12 is all due to fatty liver due to insulin resistance.

diet, exercise is the first line of defense and been working very hard at that; its not enough. i know i have to lose weight and i do very slowly in the summer, and at least this winter haven't gained. i know insulin resistance makes weight loss hard, and now just read that fatty liver makes weight loss even harder (the explanation made sense to me).

so looking to see all i can do (besides just diet and exercise, can't get much better there) to treat both insulin resistance and fatty liver.

started the vit E (400 IU - for now just the d-alpha; after reading and that's all the pharmacy had, decided to just start there for now). but am aware of the studies showing those on vit E vs placebo had higher mortality rates. so still reading.

and started a vit B 100 complex. the B's caused very bad gastritis (one pill) and bright neon yellow pee (probably not an issue?) so stopped the B after that first pill. not sure i'll be doing B, unless the doctors can recommend a form that doesn't mess with my stomach so severely. my stomach is my achilles heel; if something can affect the stomach, it will affect mine, and my stomach will never adjust (been there, done that, many times over).

E and Bs supposed to be good for adrenal, liver, diabetes. but as i read, back to a lot of stuff continually going back to C. may be upping that.

anyway, lots to read, lots to take in. too much contradictory info out there; gotta decide which seems most logical, which is based on fact vs speculation.

and yes, that report that i linked is that long. obviously i only read the pertinent chapters. those reports are often crazy long!

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
Glad to learn that you might have clarification regarding you liver issues.

I don't have any citations for you, but I think that vitamin E study that poo-pooed Vitamin E was flawed. You may want to investigate that too.

Regarding the neon yellow urine, I get that occasionally. I take that as my body telling me that I have enough B vitamins and it is voiding the excess. Expensive waste though. I take 50mg twice a day to avoid that problem. However, I'd rather have too much than too little. Should that B formula bother you, you may want to look into Brewer's Yeast (provided that isn't a problem) or a sublingual B-Complex. I'm pretty sure the latter exist, but don't have a name off hand. I supplement with a B6-B12-Folic Acid sublingual daily.

It would be hard to get too much Vit C. Vit C is about as toxic as water. You may also want to look into liposomal Vitamin C (although expensive).

Kind Regards,
Jay

Almost all of us long for peace and freedom; but very few of us have much enthusiasm for the thoughts, feelings, and actions that make for peace and freedom. - Aldous Huxley

Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now. - Thomas Jefferson
S
Copper_AS_Kicker
Copper_AS_Kicker
S
funny enough I have the sublingual B complex.
http://www.vitacost.com/Vitacost-B-Complex-Liquid

AS & Fibro. NSD + no sugar
Sue22 Offline OP
OP Offline
i've been reading and will continue to read what i can regarding vitamin E. while things are still controversial, i want to know what the "truth" is. but for now, am satisfied that 400 IU of E a day will be safe. and have decided that the generic form is ok too. will switch perhaps after getting recommendations from my doctors. and my body is tolerating the E well. been about a week on it and all is well.

since the B100 complex bothered my stomach so severely with one pill, will wait to get a recommendation from my docotor(s). they've been quite excellent at pointing me toward calcium citrate and ester C. prior to that i didn't think i could "stomach" calcium or C, but in these forms, they are absolutely fine. i'm sure there has to be a B complex that won't bother me. or maybe i just need less than 100 mg of some of these vitamins. getting the impression of the "highlighter yellow" urine is kind of a normal thing.

sue

Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
chiro
walk, bike
Dow Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Sue, regarding Vit D, Looks like you may need to add this book to your reading list too:

"End Of All Illness"

(but that's only after you've finished reading the Isaacson Steve Jobs biography, of course tongue2 )

Dow
Sue22 Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks for the heads up smile

actually i just bought this book, though not sure when i'll be reading it. probably this summer (or maybe a good project for spring break). rainbow

we must have both seen the doctor / author with jon stewart. well, that's how i found out about the book.

and what he mentioned about vitamin E in the interview, that's the study jay was referring to. i had read about it before i heard the doctor/author bring it up.

i do agree with what he said regarding vitamins / supplements. i think for most people, they should be / can be getting what they need from their diet if they eat a good plant based diet full of lots of variety of vegetables (and fruit). will be interesting to read the details regarding vitamins in his book.

i used to think that was enough for me as well. but do feel better between my flares these days. think the supplements my rheumy and other doctors have me on may be to blame. think supplementation becomes important if we do have chronic illness. at least that's what i'm finding to be true for myself. diet is important too of course, but doesn't seem to be enough alone for me.

and maybe the drugs i am on are also contributing. just read or heard how prilosec can lead to low magnesium levels. could explain why my magnesium supplement has eliminated the calf and foot cramps i used to get.

as for the Steve Jobs biography, i'm not sure i'll ever finish that book! not sure what i was thinking when i bought that and the new van gogh biography at the same time. both are giant tomes. well, at least i plenty to keep me busy when i retire some day! tongue2

sue

chiro
walk, bike
Dow Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Send me your iPod and I'll put the 8 hour audiobook version of the SJ biography on it!

Veteran_AS_Kicker
Veteran_AS_Kicker
My brain gets fuzzy trying to keep up with the conversations sometimes.
I have been drinking " ensure " can purchase it at drugstores, its for sick people who may not be getting enough. #1 doctor recommended. Its chocolate and taste really good. A lot of meds will deplete vitamins, and the quality of vitamins vary. So its important to discuss this with the seller.
just my two cents....

Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
Elmer,

Here are some problems with a product like Ensure (this is Homemade Vanilla flavor):

Quote:
Ingredients [–]

WATER, SUGAR (SUCROSE), CORN MALTODEXTRIN, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SOY OIL, CANOLA OIL; LESS THAN 0.5% OF: SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CORN OIL, POTASSIUM CITRATE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM CITRATE, SOY LECITHIN, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE, SALT (SODIUM CHLORIDE), CHOLINE CHLORIDE, ASCORBIC ACID, CARRAGEENAN, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, FERROUS SULFATE, DL-ALPHA-TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, ZINC SULFATE, NIACINAMIDE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, CUPRIC SULFATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, THIAMINE CHLORIDE HYDROCHLORIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID, CHROMIUM CHLORIDE, BIOTIN, SODIUM MOLYBDATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE, SODIUM SELENATE, PHYLLOQUINONE, VITAMIN D3 AND CYANOCOBALAMIN. CONTAINS MILK AND SOY INGREDIENTS.
CONTAINS MILK AND SOY INGREDIENTS; GLUTEN-FREE; SUITABLE FOR LACTOSE INTOLERANCE.

I don't understand how table sugar, corn maltodextrin (GM corn? at that), soy oil (soy anything really...especially GM soy), and canola oil (probably refined, bleached, and deodorized - RBD) is good for anyone. I understand that it serves a purpose for a certain demographic, but that does not make it healthy. That is some pretty expensive water (first ingredient) too I imagine. You would be better off making a healthy, delicious shake at home with some high quality protein powder and good fat (like unrefined coconut oil) and taking a quality multivitamin instead of drinking this less than healthy (my opinion) concoction.

Kind Regards,
Jay

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Megan, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)