Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Topic Options
#460036 - 01/11/12 03:05 PM Apple Cider Vinegar - Bad???
jbirdus Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker

Loc: Kentucky, USA
Maybe one of you can help me solve my stomach problem...

About two months ago i started taking Bragg's apple cider vinegar 2-3 times a day, usually with some cranberry juice. I wasn't having too many AS related problems at the time, just the normal stiffness/inflammation. I thought the ACV might work some miracle like so many people say, and help my inflammation in my heel. Anyway, after a few weeks on the ACV I started feeling worse and worse, so I stopped it. i was on strict NSD at the time, basically just eating veggies and meat. Around the time I stopped the ACV I got what I thought was a stomach virus (diarrhea, loss of appetite, fatigue). The diarrhea went away but the fatigue continued, and so did the stomach problems (gas, burping, stomach rumbling) for hours after eating. I am still having this problem after eating and sometimes feel slight nausea as well.

Do you think the apple cider vinegar could've messed up my stomach? I've been a wreck ever since and it just occured to me that this is around when my problems started. Could it be candida?

I never had too many stomach problems before this. I can't help but think all the problems I'm having now are related to my gut in someway since this all started around the same time. Any advice is appreciated!!!

#460065 - 01/11/12 10:42 PM Re: Apple Cider Vinegar - Bad??? [Re: jbirdus]
Sue22 Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Upstate NY
could be the vinegar and/or the cranberry juice.

i can't do either. both too acidic for me. all acidic foods are bad for me.

but i have the propensity toward gastritis. stomach inflammation runs in the family; part of our inflammatory process. gastritis, ulcers, stomach cancer.

if still bothering you, please do go to a doctor to rule out an ulcer. many people have little pain from ulcers, some even die from bleeding ulcers since they have little pain.

i'm lucky, a little bit of gastritis inflammation gives me huge amounts of pain. i know, because twice when it was doubling me over in pain, had an upper endoscopy and just inflammation, not even an ulcer.

so for me, pain is a good early warning sign.

i need prilosec all the time. but when its really bad, i take mylanta (double strength cherry creme, puts the fire out real fast). i assume the aluminum isn't good for me, but a bleeding ulcer isn't either, so i'll take it short term.

my gastritis started the way you describe, lots of gas, belching, rumblings then proceeded to nausea, which gave way to pain.

with it, undigested food / diarrhea, really messed with my bowels.

but if i focussed on healing the stomach inflammation, then the bowels would get better on their own.

i took psyllium for the diarrhea, that bulked things up, helped.

and stayed away from a lot of fresh raw fruits and veggies.

and for me too, underripe fruit will kill my stomach as well, especially when its already inflamed.

and caffeine. can't do caffeine.

feel better soon.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)

#460075 - 01/12/12 05:54 AM Re: Apple Cider Vinegar - Bad??? [Re: jbirdus]
Kancie Offline
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker

Have you considered doing a fast? Maybe the Apple fast, as it's worked so well for others? I ask, because you mentioned you've done well for awhile and are recently having all sorts of bother with ears and now tummy. It just sounds like grabbing for straws right now isn't going to get you out of pain as efficiently as a fast could.

I *believe* you do the apple fast for 3 or 4 days, and then add back in one food at a time, safest foods first, to see if there's a reaction. If no reaction after 3 or 4 days, add another food. If a reaction, repeat fast and start adding again. I'm sure John can pop in with specifics, as it's is go to remedy for coming out of a flare.

Excellent way to find your trigger foods.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Putting most of my eggs in the NSD and exercise basket, using only TENS, massage, heat and ice, and NSAIDS (sparingly) for pain. Drops for iritis as flare necessitates. Looking back I feel I would have been diagnosed with AS years ago, if I had found a rheumy earlier than 2011.

#460098 - 01/12/12 08:29 AM Re: Apple Cider Vinegar - Bad??? [Re: jbirdus]
jbirdus Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker

Loc: Kentucky, USA
Sue, gastritis makes sense, I mean I have inflammation everywhere else, why not my stomach lining. I've got another doctor appointment in 3 weeks, I'll have him test me for an ulcer when I go. In the meantime I was thinking I would just get some prilosec and tweak my diet even further. sigh. stupid diet.

Kancie, I've actually done a 3day Cayce apple fast before. It was a terrible experience to be honest. I felt awful and inflammation was thru the roof. My mental clarity was great though. I did a 3 day grape fast once also.

#460133 - 01/12/12 04:24 PM Re: Apple Cider Vinegar - Bad??? [Re: jbirdus]
Dotyisle Offline

Loc: Rosario, Argentina
Hey there,

I had issues with apple cider vinegar as well with my AS when I trialed it many, many years ago. LaMonty (Ted) who no longer posts here swore by it and used it.

Tim

KONK - Keep ON Kicking

#460166 - 01/12/12 11:40 PM Re: Apple Cider Vinegar - Bad??? [Re: Dotyisle]
SJLC Offline
Iron_AS_Kicker

Loc: CA, USA
What kind of issues did you have? I normally have a tablespoon or two cider vinegar on green salad, would that be enough to cause you problems?

#460218 - 01/13/12 07:49 PM Re: Apple Cider Vinegar - Bad??? [Re: jbirdus]
Jaybird Offline
Silver_AS_Kicker

Loc: The Matrix
Neutralize the acid of the Apple Cider Vinegar with baking soda. That shouldn't bother you stomach of the acidity is eliminated, should it? Your body will neutralize the acid anyway, but if you think ACV is too acid for you, do what your body will do anyway.

Almost all of us long for peace and freedom; but very few of us have much enthusiasm for the thoughts, feelings, and actions that make for peace and freedom. - Aldous Huxley

Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now. - Thomas Jefferson

#460459 - 01/16/12 06:56 PM Re: Apple Cider Vinegar - Bad??? [Re: jbirdus]
sunnypower Offline
Copper_AS_Kicker

Loc: usa
Hey j

I am sensitive to all acid stuff too and it sucks. You say you were taking it 2-3 times a day? I think it says not to take more than 2 tablespoons per day. I have the same questions... candida? Well, raw acv is the only vinegar that kills it so, now what? frown

From what I've read raw acv has enzymes and bacteria hence the debri at bottom of bottle. These features can really upset some folks' digestive tract. I also ran into info that it can even cause infection?

I was eating a load of citrus fruit for a while and over a short amount of time it tore me up and I'm finally getting over it tho I've been off the fruit for over a month.

I worry that all the acid has eaten a hole in my gut too. Red palm oil is claimed to have intestinal lession healing properties but I can't seem to take a dose that's right without flaring up. FYI- I can't do lots of oils. 1 T is way too much for me. I can do more like 1/4 t but not on empty stomach.

#460688 - 01/18/12 09:35 PM Re: Apple Cider Vinegar - Bad??? [Re: jbirdus]
la_monty Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
There is no doubt Vinegar can mess with your stomach, but on an empty stomach a diluted spoon or two is close to what the stomach produces anyway. I had it ALONE 20=30 mins before breakfast and evening meal as it must have a chance to select for and kill bacteria. Death of bad bugs will cause problems - especially from their toxins.
That said, it may not suit everyone, but worked for me.
Hi Tim, see my thread...

One cannot believe all one reads on the Internet...
Abraham Lincoln

Moderator:  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 98 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Current Issues w A.S. Diet
by Auggie
04/11/19 08:54 AM
1 year with ea, thanks for being there
by yovafranc
04/04/19 06:05 PM
3 month NSD, still no results, sad and annoyed
by Bazel
04/03/19 02:47 PM
AS/autoimmune link to mental illness?
by Didier
03/29/19 12:22 PM
Unidentified right arm problems
by mutagen
03/27/19 01:27 PM
Can AS cause gastritis and duodenitis?!
by Has777
03/26/19 04:39 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55
03/19/19 09:51 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
"FITNESS" TEAM! - All Physical Activity & Sports 44,892,946
hmmm 2,255,055
Has anyone had Pedicle subtraction Osteotomy ? 1,886,152
What to do about healthcare? Can it be fixed? 1,279,115
User names revisited 1,026,373
A.S and beds, What do you find best? 961,640
Medicinal Marijuana 949,852
OMG!!!! 891,438
No/Low Starch Diet Success Stories 695,667