Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#458881 - 12/24/11 09:04 AM Re: Tips/Hints to surviving a chest infection Please. [Re: aussiegirl]
Sue22 Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Upstate NY
Originally Posted By: aussiegirl

One last question if I may.
The pharmacyst said it was not normal to prescribe 2 boxes of the antibiotic I was given. I have 1 tablet left before I finnish the first box. Should I also take the second box or wait and see how I go? The sinusitis it was prescribed for is preety much gone apart from a small runny nose that I believe is the end of the other illness. Again it is all clear now also.
I won't be able to see a GP for a week so your advice is all I have to go on for now.

i'd first try to contact the doctor on call or the nurse and ask the question over the phone. then follow doctor's orders.

if i couldn't reach anybody, i'd finish the antibiotics, all of them.

antibiotic resistance occurs when people stop taking antibiotics just as they are starting to feel better. there could be a number of reasons for why your doctor gave you a longer dosage. it may depend on the type of infection he thinks you have, the severity of it, etc.

if you are not having intolerable side effects, it shouldn't hurt to take the second box of pills. but it could hurt to not take them......antibiotic resistance, and then the infection will come back just as strong, but resistant to the drug that is helping it now.

bottom line: my opinion: take ALL of the antibiotic unless the doctor / nurse tells you specifically not to

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)

#458893 - 12/24/11 12:13 PM Re: Tips/Hints to surviving a chest infection Please. [Re: aussiegirl]
cemc Offline
Major_AS_Kicker

Loc: UK
Yes, I'd keep taking them until told otherwise. I'd still probably keep on trying to get a message through to the doctor to check, but don't stop until you are told to. Won't hurt to take an extra few days, but will if you stop them too early and it comes back again.

#458903 - 12/24/11 03:28 PM Re: Tips/Hints to surviving a chest infection Please. [Re: cemc]
aussiegirl Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker

Loc: QLD Australia
Ok I will keep taking them. They are starting to upset my tummy so will keep a close check on things. Doc's are all on holiday so there is no one to contact. The 13health number you can call are great for many things but not much good for questions such as these.

Silly me only just found out I should be taking 3 tabs a day not the 2 I have been taking. The pharmacy lable only said to take them every 8hours. I assumed that was twice a day but going by internet research 8hours means 3 times a day. This means I have to take the first one by 6am and the last one of the day at 10pm. Not always possible. Any antibiotics I have had in the past have only given the number/day not hours.

#458904 - 12/24/11 03:34 PM Re: Tips/Hints to surviving a chest infection Please. [Re: Kancie]
aussiegirl Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker

Loc: QLD Australia
LOL you are not crazy. I have heard of this before, just forgot about it and have never thought to try it. I use Vicks on my chest and in the vapouriser but will try the feet thing. Thanks for reminding me.

I am feeling better everyday. Chest is just so sore from the coughing now but lungs are clearing more and more each day.

#458916 - 12/24/11 07:18 PM Re: Tips/Hints to surviving a chest infection Please. [Re: aussiegirl]
cemc Offline
Major_AS_Kicker

Loc: UK
I'm on three times a day antibiotics at the moment too, and what I've always been told is to space them as evenly as I can, but not to worry too much about exactly 8 hours apart. So I take the first one when I first wake up, figure out when I am going to take the last of the day (whatever time bedtime is), and take the other one half way in between. The overnight gap is almost always a bit longer than the others, but its close enough to be OK.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 93 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Weak legs
by fonzy
10/13/20 01:14 PM
Fever from AS flares
by sBrian
10/04/20 10:36 AM
VACCINE for COVID-19--CONCERNS
by DragonSlayer
09/30/20 10:29 AM
Are AS and Ulcerative Colitis connected at all ?
by MarkyT
08/13/20 06:14 PM
juvenile idiopathic arthritis Enthesitis-related
by Missalicia
07/31/20 12:21 AM
How many of us had / have covid?
by DonCA
07/23/20 03:19 AM
As Patient You Tube Channel- brand new. all welco
by kristenlittle
06/14/20 07:58 PM
(Views)Popular Topics