Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Kancie Offline OP
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Hello all! I'm pretty new to KickAS, and NSD. Definitely new to learning to cook with no starch. I found a lot of great posts about coconut flour and almond flour as alternatives, so I ordered some coconut flour as it was cheaper. I'm learning to use it, with some success, and am off for cream of tartar today so I can attempt bread.

Got online to see if I could find any new interesting recipes for it, when I took a good look at the nutritional info on it. The saturated fat seemed high enough to me, to consider using the coconut flour sparingly, perhaps for dessert breads and cookies. I worry that on the NSD I should watch my intake of saturated fats, as I cannot have any of the grains that balance ones cholesterol level.

So, looking at the almond flour info, it seems to have much less of the saturated fat, as well as impressive levels of both vitamin E and magnesium. Both of which, I'm reading, are nutrients very important to those of us battling AS.

Am I on the right track with this observation? Because, while we have a tight budget, this would justify for me, spending a little more to choose almond over coconut.

As well,if you have experience using both flours, I would love to hear you weigh in on the pros and cons for each. Thanks!

Master_AS_Kicker
Master_AS_Kicker
It takes about 3 times more almond flour vs. coconut flour in similar recipes. I eat more coconut flour baked goods than almond flour goods, but the amount of each flour type is about the same. My cholestrol levels have stayed fine.

To me, it comes down to taste and variety. I like almond flour better for pancakes and coconut flour for bread and muffins. Although I do like the occasional almond flour bread (it's more akin to a whole wheat bread). I also use almond flour for making almond butter.

Some people on NSD have found it difficult getting enough fat into their diets (especially if they suffer from IBS also). Keep in mind that this "bread" is more of a protein source. I eat a lot of prunes and vegetables to help keep my digestive system in order.

--Greg

AS symptoms started 1991. Official dx in 2006 with HLA-B27+, fused SIJ, bone spurs in back, extreme rib/hip pain, and other family with SpA. Started Enbrel in 2006 with good results, but stopped in 2010 due to nerve damage (MS) from it. Getting good results with no-starch diet since 2011.
I've baked with both and you can make bread with both. The almond flour bread has better consistency and isn't as sweet. Coconut flour makes love muffins/cupcakes though!

Yes, you tend to use a lot less when baking with coconut flour as well.

Here are some recipes you might like: http://www.scdrecipe.com/recipes/

My favorite cinnamon bun muffin with coconut flour. Super yummy! http://comfybelly.com/2011/07/cinnamon-bun-muffins/

Cheers!

Michelle from the Yukon
IBS & severe back pain
HLA-B27 positive
not officially diagnosed
Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: Kancie

Am I on the right track with this observation? Because, while we have a tight budget, this would justify for me, spending a little more to choose almond over coconut.

As well,if you have experience using both flours, I would love to hear you weigh in on the pros and cons for each. Thanks!

For me, almond flour is the only way to go because coconut flour makes me worse. It was not a sudden acute flare like when I experimented with something high in starch, but gradually over a week of trying coconut flour I became extra stiff -- to the point where my physical therapist told me the experiment was clearly a failure frown

I did not test allergic to coconut when I got tested for food sensitivities, but I do seem to be even more sensitive to starch and other complex carbs (lactose, inulin, FOS, maltodextrin) than many others here. I am not the only one sensitive to coconut flour, but there seem to be more who don't notice a problem.

So my recommendation is to try a small bag of each and try them on different weeks, keeping the rest of your diet identical. Super consistent is best, because even a small change could throw off your results on this experiment (I got an iritis attack once when my loyal low-starch baker used a different brand of vanilla flavoring! It turned out to have maltodextrin...) If there is no difference in how you feel eating almond vs coconut, then feel free to go with the cheaper coconut flour -- it is actually a quite healthful flour with all that fiber.

Kancie Offline OP
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Thanks SO much everyone! Experiment, I will!

Iritis first diagnosed in 1991, presently recurrent and steroid resistant.
Tested HLA B27 positive in 1996.
AS diagnosed October of 2011.

Putting most of my eggs in the NSD and exercise basket, using only TENS, massage, heat and ice, and NSAIDS (sparingly) for pain. Drops for iritis as flare necessitates. Looking back I feel I would have been diagnosed with AS years ago, if I had found a rheumy earlier than 2011.
Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
One thing I might add is that almonds (and thus almond flour) are high in arginine - an amino acid. Overabundance of arginine allows herpes to proliferate. You can balance this out with L-lysine - another amino acid. You may want to research the arginine-lysine balance.

Kind Regards,
Jay

Almost all of us long for peace and freedom; but very few of us have much enthusiasm for the thoughts, feelings, and actions that make for peace and freedom. - Aldous Huxley

Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now. - Thomas Jefferson
S
Copper_AS_Kicker
Copper_AS_Kicker
S
From what I've read, almonds are also higher in omega 6 and can disrupt the omega 3/6 balance.

AS & Fibro. NSD + no sugar
Kancie Offline OP
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Ah... Very good to know, thanks!
Sounds like I might do best to stick with meats, veg, and fruit, and use the coconut flour for the occasional treat.

I had a piece of baked chicken at work, thinking it would be safe. There must have been something added. Maybe marinade or something? I didn't even eat it all. Was greasy. For the first time since I went NSD, my ankles are swollen and my back feels like I was hit with a bat. A lot. All hooked up to TENS now.

I will never leave home without iodine again.
Better yet, I will never let anyone else prepare my food again.

Putting most of my eggs in the NSD and exercise basket, using only TENS, massage, heat and ice, and NSAIDS (sparingly) for pain. Drops for iritis as flare necessitates. Looking back I feel I would have been diagnosed with AS years ago, if I had found a rheumy earlier than 2011.
Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: Kancie

I had a piece of baked chicken at work, thinking it would be safe. There must have been something added. Maybe marinade or something? I didn't even eat it all. Was greasy. For the first time since I went NSD, my ankles are swollen and my back feels like I was hit with a bat. A lot. All hooked up to TENS now.

I will never leave home without iodine again.
Better yet, I will never let anyone else prepare my food again.

I've run into something similar as well... you can't trust even meat if there is no ingredient list! The deli turkey at the cafeteria at work gave me problems (I have seen some brands in stores that taint perfectly good meat with potato starch, so I suspect that is the problem tongue4 ) and then there was meat from a seemingly plain turkey at a potluck -- turns out that frozen butterball turkeys have flavoring junk with modified food starch injected into them!

Kancie Offline OP
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Why??? omg... Lesson learned to test everything!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 37 guests, and 118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,692 hmmm
1,319,572 OMG!!!!
709,183 PARTY TIME!