Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
R
Hi my Dr. recently told me I have A.S. incase any of you didn't already know from my prier post. I am still waiting on the rheumatologist appointment next month. Anyways, my joints in my elbows, wrists, hips, ankles, sometimes my back always crack and snap. This happens most often when I get up from a relaxed state and getting out of bed. Are these symptoms of A.S.? Is this common?

I didn't ask for this, I don't much like it at all. But I am in control and I will be kickin AS til the end!
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
i don't crack any more or less now that i've developed spondy than i ever did before. i don't think cracking means much. that's just my opinion though.

my neck does "grind" more but that's probably more the degenerative disc disease than inflammation. though the inflammation may have sped that up a bit.

i find that when my joints are particularly inflamed, they actually don't "crack" and when the inflammation starts to go down, then they will crack or pop more.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
C
Active_Member
Active_Member
C
Hi, I have cracked and popped in my knees for years now. But recently have also started to crack in both ankles. I have little faith in my knees and ankles, and at times am unsteady on my feet.
Also When I turn my head my neck makes an awful, sickly grinding sound and if you put your hand on my neck you can feel the grinding and grateing.
My 14 yo son often jokes about the noise my ankles make now. You dont even have to be in the same room as me to be able to hear them.

Cheers Carol

Dx 2006 Sleep apnoea
Depression- Major
2010 Cervical Spondylosis
Typhoid Fever & Salmonella
2011 Sponylosis- Lumbosacral
Scoliosis
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Osteoarthritis
Plantar Fasiitis (Bilateral)
Polyarthralgia
Carpul tunnel
Rheumatoid Arthritis
Sciatica
Fibromyalgia
New_Member
New_Member
I have no idea if it has to do with AS but I have snapped, crackled, and popped like crazy since my AS started and I've noticed an increase when I have my worst symptoms. Mainly my knees, wrists, ankles, and back. I even once had a boss who commented saying he had never heard someone my age (22) crack so much when they moved. Every morning when I wake up and go to make my first attempt at sitting up my lower back makes a loud crack. I mentioned this to my rheumy once and he said he hears that from a lot of his AS patients. In my opinion it's related, but who knows.

Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Hi Ryan, my back, ribs, neck and shoulders have been doing the snap, crackle, pop for years now, I asked my ortho and my rheumy what's causing it and both of them have said it's due to the inflammation caused by the AS, which of course is an an inflammatory form of arthritis. Ankylosing Spondylitis is a type of progressive inflammatory arthritis that causes chronic inflammation of the spine and sacroiliac(SI) joints.

Age 7- Kidney Necrosis
Age 11-Bursitis
Age 14-Costo
Age 17-Psoriasis
Age 32-Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Age 33-Sacroilitis
Age 35-Interstitial Cystitis
Age 40-AS
Age 44-Fibro
Age 44-PsA
Age 45-MS
Age 46-Sjogrens
Age 46-Raynauds
Age 47-PF
Pea Offline
Captain_AS_Kicker
Captain_AS_Kicker
Google it. It is called Crepeitus.

Pea
Diagnosed with A.S. 29 year's ago.
Diagnosed with Fibro 10 year's ago.
Remicade, Intrathecal Pain Pump 2013
M
mig Offline
M
Hi Ryan,

I would say the cracking is a symptom of the process in AS and a pretty common thing we tend to notice. My neck, spine, and hips used to make loud cracking or snapping sounds an awful lot. I don't get many pops though.

We tend to stiffen up after relaxing for a spell and it can take a bit of movement before we loosen up again. If I lay on my stomach with my head and feet slightly off the edge of the bed (to help straighten up), I can almost be guaranteed a snap that is brutal in force. Probably some ligament snapping back where it should be.

Mine has slowly been quieting up over the years but my neck is still noisy.

T
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
T
My SI joint will pop when getting up from chairs in the morning. Usually goes away by later in the day. I don't pay attention to it anymore. The biggest pop is when I lay on my back and pull my right knee to my chest. When I straiten my leg out again there is a big pop, probably SI related, but I've had that for as long as I can remember. I don't associate any of it with pain. All my friends have various joints that make noise. My knees and shoulders pop from time to time.

T
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
T
Active AS = pain, stiffness, and snap crackle and pop that has nothing to do with that breakfast cereal.

Unfortunately, you will get used to it. frown

R
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
R
Thanks everyone! Sorry I wasn't able to get back to everyone earlier I had to work all day and night. I guess these are just some things Im gonna have to get used to unfortunately. It bothers me cuz it feels like when I relax things fall out of alignment or something. Then when I get up everything wants to go back in to place, at least that's how it seems. My neck does that weird grinding. It seems to happen more when I do something for a while that involves a lot of head movement and I have hurt my neck a few times and that's when it's really bad. I once made a dr of mine a few years ago take their stethoscope and listen to it lol my old Drs used to think I was crazy I think lol they never took anything I said very serious though. I used to get so mad when I left because I would still have all the pains and things goin on but no explanation. Thanks for all the insight everyone!

I didn't ask for this, I don't much like it at all. But I am in control and I will be kickin AS til the end!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (haydenk, 1 invisible), 133 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM