Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
OP Offline
Curcumin has been implicated in the treatment of certain eye diseases and conditions, including chronic anterior uveitis, an inflammatory condition of the vascular layer, particularly the iris. In a small study, curcumin (375 mg t.i.d.) was administered orally for 12 weeks to 32 patients with chronic anterior uveitis. The participants were divided into two groups; the first received only curcumin while the second was treated with a combination of curcumin and antituber- cular therapy. All patients treated with curcumin alone improved, compared with a response rate of 86% among those receiving the combination therapy (42). Recently, a study was conducted on curcumin’s potential to treat dry eye disease and to protect against hyperosmosis-induced IL-1β elevation via MAPK pathways in human corneal epithelial cells. Human corneal epithelial cells cultured in the hyperosmotic medium for 24 h showed an increase of IL-1β, IL-6 and TNF-α levels. Curcumin (1–30 µM) did not affect the viability of cultured corneal epithelial cells, but pretreatment with curcumin (5 µM) completely abolished the increased production of IL-1β, p38 phosphorylation and NF-κB induced by the hyperosmotic medium (43). These studies suggest that curcumin may be an effective therapeutic for a variety of inflammatory eye conditions.

Shehzad A, Lee YS: Curcumin: multiple molecular targets mediate multiple
pharmaological actions -- a review. Drugs of the Future 2010;35:113-119.

cat

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
OP Offline
Help - Can't invent my typoes! Strewth, would ya ever look'at that one... Inflammatory (not what my fingers managed to come up with <DOH>)

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Cool! I'm gonna buy some tomorrow.
Thanks!
Ann

Ann
mom to three boys 10, 12, 14
Diagnosed with spondylitis in 2004
pharmacist who now seeks natural therapies including NSD & essential oils

Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
I used to use rutin for my eye inflammation a few years back (an antioxidant) when i had troubles. Not to be used whilst pregnant though

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Hi there. Hmmm, never heard of cucumin but I'm all about anything that can help with these pesky dry eyes. Thanks for the info!!
KR, Jess

Dx'd AS (seronegative spondylarthopathy), Fibromyalgia 8/2007
Be happy for this moment... This moment is your life.

Pea Offline
Captain_AS_Kicker
Captain_AS_Kicker
I use Clear Kote. I believe it is the only eye drop's that treat all three layer's of the eye. I have tried everything else for dry eye including heated goggle's. You have to have a prescription for it.

I have some Curcumin. My Naturopath gave it to me for pain. It didn't help the pain but I didn't know it help's dry eye's. I will try it again and see if it help's. How long do you take it before you notice any help? Thank's!

Pea

Pea
Diagnosed with A.S. 29 year's ago.
Diagnosed with Fibro 10 year's ago.
Remicade, Intrathecal Pain Pump 2013
J
J
Jess I am pretty sure Curcumin is the spice turmeric!!

OP Offline
Curcumin and Tumeric are one and the same. IF you can find the fresh root curcumin (tumeric) then better still, as fresh. Asian, West Indian outlets might have - know the 'fresh' is diff to find. It is a great root to use in cooking - mighty different to the dried stuff. Fresh looks very like large ginger root, and use the same: peel off outer thin skin, chope fine and put in cookk pot - or make an infusion like with making a ginger tea.

For dry eyes. Hot water is terrific. Just bath eyes in as hot a water as poss (don't scald yourself!) I like to just stand under hot water shower. But during day IF eyes really bothersome then I soak flannel in hot water and copiously bath eyes (cheap, cheerful, works - tip from my UK Prof ophtho consultant).

Also use single application preservative free eye drops. Lovely. As is N'Acetyl Carnosine, cepting N'Acetyl C is flippin expensive...!!

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS

Moderated by  Megan, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!