Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Kiwi Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: SJLC
But it's probably best to get their coconut flakes and grind it yourself like Jet and Tinkerbell do, think that is the most economical and has even less starch too.

Nah, it's nowhere near the same. I tried the same thing at first as for ages I couldn't get my hands on real coconut flour unless I wanted to pay mega-bucks and get it shipped here to NZ from the USA. I used a spice/coffee grinder but it doesn't get it anywhere near flour fine-ness. Real coconut flour is really really fine and powdery...almost like white wheat flour. If you make your own you'll have a bit of trial and error adjusting the recipes to work.

There is nothing added to it...it's just pure coconut and it is COMPLETELY safe and NOT starchy. I am defiantely sure of this as my husband Jon is SUPER sensitive to starch and he eats coconut flour products most days.

It may be just the Tropical Traditions brand that has a problem. The stuff I buy is imported from the Phillipines and have NEVER had a problem with it.

Last edited by Kiwi; 03/15/10 02:51 AM.

Chelsea smile

[Linked Image]
F
Veteran_AS_Kicker
Veteran_AS_Kicker
F
These coconut cookies are a staple for me. Gives me the taste of eating the foods I cant. Nobody in my family though will touch the stuff. The kids and wife just dont think it tastes that great.

J
New_Member
New_Member
J
Like Finnari, this recipe is a staple for me as well, thank you KIWI! One thing I do like to do is add a couple extra tablespoons of brown sugar, and I double the dose of vanilla extract (using good vanilla mind you, doubling it might not go so well with cheap stuff). Seem to come out a little sweeter, and I think the extra brown sugar helps keep the cookies a little more moist, as coconut flour tends to produce a rather dry product.

I've found that this recipe makes about two baking sheets of cookies (two batches), I tend to keep one batch fresh, and I freeze the other. I had never eaten a frozen cookie before, but man are they good! I also like to cutch the frozen cookies up into chunks and mix them with a little cool whip, oh so delicious.

Gold_AS_Kicker
Gold_AS_Kicker
Hey Finnari

If I do any no starch baking EVERYONE wants some in my family! We all prefer the coconut cakes, almond cakes, coconut cookies, brownies and caramel squares etc. So I am cutting down on how much traditional baking ingredients I buy and making more starch free to accommodate the children! They love the taste of almonds, and coconut in particular so I am lucky if I get anything to freeze at all!!

I always make my Mum cakes and lately she says "you are making a starchfree one arent you?" we have found (being cakelovers) that you can have once slice of starch free cake and feel satisfied and comfortable - with floury cakes you always want another slice and then feel bloated and like you have over-done-it.

I make Chelseas cookies with ground desicated coconut instead of flour (because I can't get it) and I use white chocolate chips because I think they go so well with coconut. I have tested the brand I use and it seems to be fine - moreover I have not had any ill effects from it and I have certainly eaten plenty of cookies, before the gannets get them all!!

It can't feel nice that your alternatives are not endorsed by the family, this can make you feel like your stuff is not as good - but at least you get all those lovely cookies to yoursef on the plus side!

My husband started off turning his nose up a bit at my diet - but generally he eats the same as me now, having salad or veg with meat instead of any rice, potato or pasta.

The problem with starch is that is is addictive - that's one reasons why it's so hard to give up. But when you do, I think you appreciate other foods and flavours more. Starch = stodge to me and I'm better off without it.

Last edited by Tinkerbell; 03/29/10 09:01 AM. Reason: addition

KickAS and help others do the same!
S
seb Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
S
Hey Chelsea,

do you grease or use baking paper? Just not sure cause paper is starch so i prefer to grease with olive oil. Also would these still taste ok without the chocolate? Maybe cranberries or something instead. Im not sure if i can tolerate chocolate and i dont really feel like experimenting, especially since i can now play sport!!

Kiwi Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Seb, I use baking paper. The starch in paper is no problem when baking. It's so much easier cleaning up too!

These cookies would be great with sultanas I reckon.

If you bake these cookies just watch the cooking time. I've burnt them a couple of times or over cooked them so they were a bit dry. Better to do it for 15-20 mins.

Chelsea smile

[Linked Image]
Gold_AS_Kicker
Gold_AS_Kicker
tee hee! i just burned my first batch. i'm still eating them but yeah, even 20 mins was too much.

naj Offline
Diamond_AS_Kicker
Diamond_AS_Kicker
I was going to make these again, but was feeling super lazy, so made them as chocolate chip cookie bars. Like brownies, you know? I had no butter and so I used coconut cream. It worked very well. Your recipe rocks and thanks again. : )
Jan

S
Copper_AS_Kicker
Copper_AS_Kicker
S
Wow EEEE I made these tonight but substituted xylitol for brown sugar. They turned out more cake like and a bit dryer than expected but they were so so good. They also didn't really spread they just kinda stayed the shape as they were when I pressed them down with a spoon.

Does the brown sugar make them more chewy or moist or soft?
And do they spread more when baked?
Just curious.

Thank you so much for the recipe!

AS & Fibro. NSD + no sugar
Kiwi Offline OP
OP Offline
Brown sugar makes them more softer and moister. I use white sugar as it makes them slightly more crunchy.
These are not a very crunchy cookie...quite soft.

No they don't spread at all.

If a bit dry maybe cut down the cooking time a bit or tinker with the butter measurement. I usually do a half batch because Jon only likes them super fresh and I make them really small bite size (about 1.5 inches round)and I cook them for 15 mins.

Chelsea smile

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (haydenk, 1 invisible), 133 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM