Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#449963 - 08/18/11 01:37 PM Normal to Lose So Much Weight On The Diet?
woodbine Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
I have been on the low starch diet for a little over two months. In that time, I have lost approx 21 pounds in weight (1.5 stones UK).

As I am 6 feet 4 inches, I was already on the lean side at 175 pounds (12.5 stones) when I started the diet. Now that I have dropped to 154 pounds (11 stones), I think people are wondering if I am anorexic.

Is cutting out starch/carbs likely to be responsible for dropping all this weight? What can I eat that helps the AS situation, but helps me keep and hopefully gain some weight?

#449995 - 08/18/11 05:54 PM Re: Normal to Lose So Much Weight On The Diet? [Re: woodbine]
Truth Offline

In 4 months lost 13 lb. down to 131 . I am eating every thing that has fat in it . Down some oils Flax seed , olive oil, Crown Prince Kippers 13 gr fat, Avacado test! Nuts walnuts on ice cream. Eat Fish salmon , Stony field whole milk yogurt . I to have a hard time keeping weight you just must eat a lot and offten. There are other post that deal with this. Hope that helps. Kurt

#450006 - 08/18/11 06:49 PM Re: Normal to Lose So Much Weight On The Diet? [Re: woodbine]
Kiwi Offline

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
Try baking with coconut flour. This helped Jon as he lost over 20kg in the first few months on the diet. He was a little chubby tho so about 12kg of that was good to get rid of!

Here are some recipes if you're interested:
Muffins
White Chocolate Cupcakes
Choc Chip Cookies
Brownies/Chocolate Cake
Pancakes

Hope that helps

#450014 - 08/18/11 07:29 PM Re: Normal to Lose So Much Weight On The Diet? [Re: Kiwi]
millford Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
So, is it really impossible to start the diet without some initial weight loss? I'm asking because the only thing holding me back from starting the diet, is that I'm already underweight, and find it hard to gain weight even with starchy food available.

#450022 - 08/18/11 09:22 PM Re: Normal to Lose So Much Weight On The Diet? [Re: millford]
jbirdus Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker

Loc: Kentucky, USA
I think it's pretty normal to drop some weight, a lot of people have this problem. I lost some myself, but not as much as I'd like. However I eat an extremely large amount of food in a day, I usually eat about 8 times a day. Mix almonds, macadamias, chocolate, and raisins for a fattening snack. Use olive oil, coconut oil, and butter liberally. I've made some of Kiwi's recipes and they are delicious! Also eggs, meat, cheese, mayo, heavy whipping cream, creamy dressings, all these things keep me fat. You could always figure out your daily caloric need and then count your calories to make sure you stay well above that number.

#450028 - 08/18/11 09:57 PM Re: Normal to Lose So Much Weight On The Diet? [Re: jbirdus]
MollyK Offline
Active_Member

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
Chelsea,

Thanks for posting those recipes. I can't wait to try them.

Cheers.

~Fear and love cannot occupy the same space

HLA-B27 and loving it

#450032 - 08/19/11 12:09 AM Re: Normal to Lose So Much Weight On The Diet? [Re: millford]
SJLC Offline
Iron_AS_Kicker

Loc: CA, USA
Originally Posted By: millford
So, is it really impossible to start the diet without some initial weight loss? I'm asking because the only thing holding me back from starting the diet, is that I'm already underweight, and find it hard to gain weight even with starchy food available.

Don't let that hold you back from trying it... over the last year I've trended downwards towards a classical 99-lb-weakling physique, but after bottoming out at a weight lower than when graduated from high school -- I'm healthier than when I took NSAIDs instead of dieting. Just as much energy, but minus aches and pains most of the time and able to sleep well.

#450061 - 08/19/11 05:13 AM Re: Normal to Lose So Much Weight On The Diet? [Re: SJLC]
Blueberry Offline
New_Member

Loc: Paris, France
I've been on it for two weeks and haven't lost any weight....yet. It's perhaps a bit too soon to see if there will be an impact.

However, I have (over) compensated starches with creamy sauces on meat and quite a bit of chocolate. I eat hard cheese as a snack too, or even after meals. Can you eat dairy?

I also wonder if there is a difference between men and women regarding this. From what I can tell reading through this forum is that men seem to experience weight loss more. Personnally, I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds. smile But I can understand losing a significant amount of weight could be worrisome.

Age 36
Diagnosed with AS in 1999
On Voltaren and Lanzor
Trying the No starch diet

#450072 - 08/19/11 08:37 AM Re: Normal to Lose So Much Weight On The Diet? [Re: woodbine]
bobc Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker

Loc: Broomfield, Colorado
No, it's not normal to lose that much weight on this diet.

You'll lose some weight by virtue of cutting out all the crap carbohydrates like bread, pastas, cookies, etc. But you sound like you're getting too thin.

Eat more food overall, but also try concentrating on lots of full-fat yogurt, ice cream, and those yummy baked goods Chelsea mentioned. Honestly, whenever I overdo it on just yogurt alone I put on a pound or two. If I was eating baked goods on top of that I'd put on 5 pounds in a week.

Don't forget nuts and fruit as well.

Good luck.

Me and my girls

#450074 - 08/19/11 08:46 AM Re: Normal to Lose So Much Weight On The Diet? [Re: Blueberry]
gbash Offline
Master_AS_Kicker

Loc: Oklahoma
I'm 5'11" and went from 192 to 170 lbs on the diet. But that put me right where I should have been on weight. My mother worries about me losing any more weight, but I seem to have stabilized. I stopped losing weight when I started using coconut and almond flour for bread, muffins, and pancakes. My wife went mostly on the NSD diet also, to keep meals simple, and she trimmed down to a good weight as well.
AS symptoms started 1991. Official dx in 2006 with HLA-B27+, fused SIJ, bone spurs in back, extreme rib/hip pain, and other family with SpA. Started Enbrel in 2006 with good results, but stopped in 2010 due to nerve damage (MS) from it. Now getting good results with no-starch diet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 72 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Vitamin K2 helps Leaky Gut
by L33
04/20/18 09:35 PM
Is there any relation between dental health and AS
by Costas
04/18/18 03:22 PM
Goldberg Clinic
by ValsMum
04/17/18 07:44 PM
Enteric Coated Peppermint Oil Capsules for GI