Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 47 of 50 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 50
G
G
I had a resection osteomtomy performed at Buffalo General hospital by Dr. Edward Simmons back in 1996, and it gave me back a life I thought gone. Thanks to the procedure and the rods put in place I felt truly liberated after a long recovery. Being more upright meant putting pressure on atrophied muscle, so I initially had a difficult time. But not a day passes when I'm grateful for overcoming the fear I felt before undergoing the procedure. If you have any questions I will gladly field them.

M
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
M
UPDATE !!!!!

6 months and counting ! life is great, though i went through hell, I'm very glad to have done this. I'm still dealing with the insurance mess, but i'm happy to report i surpassed my goal and completed the Tunnels to tower run/ walk in
nyc. What an awesome experience both physically emotionally and mentaly. I'm still out on Medical leave with my fire dept, but am back to work and in full swing. I post today needing help ! has anyone outhere experienced this operation ? I feel that I might be going in reverse. I.m not allowed to use remicade and methotexate for one year and frankly dont want anymore crap in my system, but wonder if my pain is the AS kicking back in...

Platinum_AS_Kicker
Platinum_AS_Kicker
Your stories are all amazing! The info you all shared about this procedure is what many are looking to find in this surgery forum therefore I'm taking the liberty to bump it to the top.

This bunny Kicks AS !
S
New_Member
New_Member
S
Hi everyone, I realize this is a really old thread but I stumbled upon it while searching for more information on this procedure and was hoping to get some help or information in case anyone is still around.

My case isn't your usual one, I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was just a kid and after and after 4 surgeries, one of which the doctor changed his mind last minute and decided to remove disks, fuse vertebrae with out using rods, I was left with a very fused curved spine.

I have lived this way for over 15 years and now at 27 even though I was told to give up I came across the possibility of osteotomy being the answer to my prayers.

The thing is the doctor who I am seeing seems to think I could end up with complications because of the fact that my body has been contorted for so long. I was hoping I could get some insight on this if any one has suffered post op complications with motor skills or even bladder control and if it was temporary or something permanent.

Thank you for your time!

I
Titanium_AS_Kicker
Titanium_AS_Kicker
I
Hi Stella, I haven't had bladder problems other than those brought about by too much red wine.............but I have had a double lumbar ostetomy.

My surgery was amazingly amazing and so so so succesful. That doesnt mean it was perfect, but goodness it was very nearly so. Whilst in hospital i met young girl/woman who had severe scoliosis, after the surgery it was still clear that she had spinal issues but wow, she looked a million dollars (I asked her out but she said I was too old!!! Too old? Me I said.......well huh!!!) oh anyway, don't be put off; a slight improvement is better than none and the durgery carries the potential for great improvement. Be warned though, Osteotomy, to quote my own surgeon, is big stuff, stressful and dangerous. Go for it, I am glad I did

S
New_Member
New_Member
S
Hi, thanks for the response!

I totally agree, I would do ANYTHING for the surgery I just can't seem to find a doctor that wants to do it.

I've been to doctors all over the country and can't seem to find the right one, none of them have even given me any hope until this last one who was the one who said the chance of complications would not be worth it...him obviously not having any idea of what it is to live with everyone acting like you are an alien.

I have missed out on so much of my life thanks to me trying to hide my curve that I feel even if there were complications I would be in that rehab every day to recover.

That's where my question arose from, I want to make sure I am not being idealistic and think hard work will get me there and then turning out to be wrong and make it worse for myself in the end if that makes sense.

I
Titanium_AS_Kicker
Titanium_AS_Kicker
I
Which country Stella?

I can only speak about the English system but here we do have, 'The Patients Charter' this allows a patient to be quite emphatic in their desires and the health service must adhere to those desires, unless their is palpable medical reason not to. Elective surgery we call it and was what I undertook.

If you are in America, then John the (Dragonslayer), and/or Brad (wolverinefan)members here, have major AS and have both undergone very large surgeries, as has Phannu very recently. These may be the people to guide you further

A delight to meet with you, even if under these 'miserable illness' circumstances

K
Lurker
Lurker
K
I had the PSO surgery January 2011. Previous surgerys: laminectomy lower spine: 2001 & lumbar 2007. Was diagnosed with osteoporosis in about 2000. On calcium supp: Fosomax not until about 2005? I was almost looking at the ground when I stood, extremely painful when standing because was always trying to stand straight. Saw surgeon at least 3 times in a year before the surgery. I was 73 at the time I think he was trying to see how active a person I was as opposed to sitting on my sofa and feeling sorry for my self. I did feel sorry for my self!. But continued to go to Senior Center, play Mah Jong -weekly, and monthly: bunco & garden club. However have done no gardening. Flew to Mo. for a wedding. Walked with a cane. Counldn't believe it was happening to me! Surgery Jan 7, healing fine, walking w/cane in the beginning,released to drive mid April.2 wks later fell off a patio w/out sides over 1 foot and broke my hip. People are yelling Broken hip broken hip you could hear the noise of the break, a spiral fracture it's called. Saw my back doctor today and I'm doing fine from the PSO surgery, except the very top rod right side is tipped forward a bit the dr said I have soft bones, it may have happened when I fell but didn't have back xrays when I fell. Back is good, I'm walking w/cane because of hip, another dr visit for hip in another month. The PSO surgery is AMAZING AS FAR as I'm concerned. laugh laugh Good Luck to all.

V
Lurker
Lurker
V
I had this op on March 22nd 2011. Previous surgery - fusion of 3 levels in lower spine 1989, back to work for 5 yrs but every day was a struggle. Whoops, one level never fused, so back to have this fixed in 1995. Road accident one yr later, 1996 - wedge fracture immediately above op site. Treated conservatively is the phrase! Told nothing could be done further surgically. Two more minor road accidents, shunted from behind while stationary. Injections in facet joints helped for 4 to 6 wks at a time but I could only have them every 4 months as small amount of steroid in with anaesthetic. All sorts of meds offered and tried before op, including fentanyl and oramorph, all appeared to make no difference. Couldn't understand. My body was leaning forward and spine felt like it was twisting to the right. Belly button was 2 inches to the right! Could barely walk or sleep so smiling became hard. Had become that miserable old git! All my thoughts were negative.
Well here I am, five months post op and still mending. My spine is amazingly straight. I'm sleeping well. On less meds than prior to surgery - paracetamol, diclofenac and dihydrocodeine. Was told by surgeons that I will always have some pain because of my history. I am now fused from bottom of spine to T12 with titanium rods either side. All earlier metalwork was removed. Feel so blessed to have been offered this surgery and given this chance. There are many dangers and possible complications. My heart stopped mid way through op but was started again. I have had none of the other possible complications. Apart from my skeleton, I was in excellent health pre op with good bone density.
I still can't walk very far unfortunately. An ingrowing toe nail in my left foot and a dropped arch causing problems in my right foot! Minor stuff compared with what I've been through and the local podiatry dept. are positive they can sort both out. I feel so impatient. Arghhhh! Friends have given me a mobility scooter so I can have short outings alone.
In the last 12 months I have put on 4 stone in weight, about 1lb a week!! Nothing is working. I ate raw food for a month, veg, salad and fruit and put on 2lbs! Waiting for the nod from the surgeon that I can swim again. Not allowed to do anything which might stretch spine until fusion is certain.
Lucky to have been born at this period in time and in Britain, where health care is provided for all of us, irrespective of one's wealth.
I am a mum of 4 adult kids and grandma to 5, nearly 6.
My hopes are to swim in the sea again, have positive thoughts, smile, laugh and enjoy my family and friends.
Waking up is still the hardest part of the day!

I was able to drive after 3 months once I was out of the jacket. Can also do minor chores around the house but no bending, lifting or twisting as yet. Full recovery will take 9 - 12 months so I'm nearly half way there.......

I was told that this is one of the most dangerous operations ever undertaken by an orthopaedic surgeon.

We all want to be free of pain or have less pain. No guarantees were given to me; in fact the opposite was emphasised at every pre op appt - death, paralysis, increased pain etc.

I'm still hoping I am one of the lucky ones.

Would be happy to hear from anyone.

wow Alan, thanks for sharing, my side profile looks liek your before pic, but i can still look forward.
i know all too well what it feels like to get the stares and the rude, crude amd inconsiderate comments from people, it really bothers me and i usually end up in tears feeling quite sorry for myself.
never heard of the surgery, but will look into it.
God Bless You! you are amazing.

Dx with AS in 2000, after birth of my 4th child. Through hell & back with pain/immobility & out of control inflammation. (Vioxx was my BF)
Received healing from Jesus (spine is now UNFUSED!)
Homeopathics- amazing!
Rebuilding my body... some days I struggle, right hip is locked & flares the most, but God is good and I am alive!
Proteolytic Enzymes, Nutra- Fix Probiotics, Vit C, D3, E,
B complex, KappArrest and BioAllay (Biotics Research) for pain and inflammation
Low dose naltrexone, NSD
Page 47 of 50 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 50

Moderated by  fyrfytr187, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (haydenk, 1 invisible), 133 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM