Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#439661 - 04/14/11 01:07 PM SI Sacrum Cortisone Injection
ValsMum Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker

Next week I am going to have my first cortisone injection in my sacrum or si joint guided by xray. I am nervous, I have had cortisone injections in my knee but not my SI joint/ sacrum area. I was wondering if anyone felt relief after getting one of these done. Everyday my backside is like an alarm clock it wakes me up with pain, so I'd like some temporary relief. Thanks!
Sheri
Dr Mercola's RA Protocol: Eliminate Grains, Sugars, processed food, eat as close to raw as possible ... http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/08/16/rheumatoid-arthritis-protocol.aspx

#439665 - 04/14/11 01:19 PM Re: SI Sacrum Cortisone Injection [Re: ValsMum]
jroc Offline
Decorated_AS_Kicker

Loc: New Zealand
I once had a steroid shot in the butt cheek and definitely noticed some relief.

#439674 - 04/14/11 02:09 PM Re: SI Sacrum Cortisone Injection [Re: jroc]
rumble Offline
Supreme_AS_Kicker

Loc: NE Oklahoma
Had an SI joint cortisone (bilaterally) back in January. Worked great for a couple of weeks. Then the pain came back. It was diagnostic of the pain being from SIJ, though. In Feb I had radio frequency ablation of the sensory nerves on the SIJ right side. Three weeks later, the left side.

The actual steroid injection procedure was a piece of cake, though. Just laid on my stomach for a bit and relaxed (versed premed). I remember the needles, but it didn't hurt much (fentanyl premed). Get there an hour early for admit stuff, then getting vitals, IV, etc. Thirty minutes for procedure, 30 for recovery. Then home to my recliner and a leisurely evening at home, rather than work. yes

Hope your injections go well. My pain doc tried an SI injection in the office, but effect only lasted about a couple of days. Definitely the xray guidance helps! Actually, it's fluoroscope, less radiation to patient.

Be prepared to use a lot of antiinflammatories for the first few days....needle has to go through a lot of connective tissue/ligaments. There is a fair amount of 'trauma' to these tissues and a lot of inflammation is introduced. (And it was 10x that after-effect on the RFA eek2 ). If you aren't on an NSAID, be sure to take one for the first few days after the procedure. You won't be sorry. No aspirin the first day, but it's okay after that, according to my pain doc.
SIJ steroid injection and bilateral radiofreq ablation x5!

#439684 - 04/14/11 02:55 PM Re: SI Sacrum Cortisone Injection [Re: rumble]
Angelmom Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Oklahoma..where the wind comes...
WOW Rum...I have had this done at least 4 times now and I have never even been offered pain meds WHICH if I ever have to do it again that will change.

It always seemed barbaric to me to have to use an ultrasound to thread a long needle down there with no pain meds.

Even though I never had any I made it thru them and they always worked for me at least a few months..and considering I couldn't walk or almost couldn't walk it has been a positive plus.

Hugs,

Lisa

#439690 - 04/14/11 03:27 PM Re: SI Sacrum Cortisone Injection [Re: ValsMum]
Dow Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker

Loc: Valley Cottage, NY
I've tried both, SI joint injections (twice) and even epidural directly into the sacral vertebrae this year-none of the procedures were difficult, mostly is the lying there waiting and waiting-

although the last time, I swear, the doctor was talking with one of the nurses about playing "Angry Birds" on her iPad, when I walked in, THAT made me more nervous!

and they always used a local anesthesia first, so that certainly makes it go better

But sorry, none of them really helped in a way I could notice, hope you get better results, Sheri! yes

#439691 - 04/14/11 03:41 PM Re: SI Sacrum Cortisone Injection [Re: Dow]
hollyz143 Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker

Loc: Texas
Those angry birds peeps are freaks!

I had 3 si injections. All flor guided under versed(?). No relief for me but the nerve block in my lower back did help.

Hope you get relief!!!

Excuse typos. iPhone hates me. Too much angry bird playing this week.

#439694 - 04/14/11 03:55 PM Re: SI Sacrum Cortisone Injection [Re: ValsMum]
Dotyisle Offline

Loc: Rosario, Argentina
I had cortisone injections in right SI twice. Definitely calmed down the inflamation for 1-2 days (at most)... but SI pain came back just the same and to same degree.

Injection hurt, but have had worse done, so definitely liveable.

All it is a temporary solution, if something is triggering the SI to inflame, it will come right back (as was my case).

Best to you,

Tim

KONK - Keep ON Kicking

#439715 - 04/14/11 05:24 PM Re: SI Sacrum Cortisone Injection [Re: ValsMum]
elliejam Offline
New_Member

Loc: calgary, alberta
I had both sides done last year. The left side hurt like hell when the needle went in. I thought there is no way I would return for the right side a week later. BUt that went in so easily, I was suprised it was over with. The pain relief lasted 5 months! When it wore off, for me, it was gradual. Good luck! I am sure it will give you some welcome relief!

#439716 - 04/14/11 05:33 PM Re: SI Sacrum Cortisone Injection [Re: ValsMum]
Sue22 Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Upstate NY
i had it done twice.

the one in may 2002 was just the right side, topical, by the physiatrist at an office visit. it worked like a charm, i was good for an entire year afterwards; prior to that, it was a constant daily problem.

the one in sept 2009 was bilateral deep with fluoroscopy guidance. it lasted about 6 months, took a month or two to feel full effect and the last month or so of the 6 months could feel the effect wearing off. so not quite as successful, but seeing what others are writing, sounds like even 6 months (3-4 months of that being really good) is quite good.

but i didn't want to have to go back and get it done every few months, so i tried something different after the last time. in april 2010, i started wearing a (dichlofenac nsaid) flector patch over my SI joint, 24/7, changing it every 12 hours like clockwork. pleasantly surpirsed how well that is working, as i really haven't seen anyone else here use it the same way one would take drugs every day. but not surprised totally since a number of nsaids work for me but with gastritis and edema so i can't take them. but the topical nsaid, for me works and no side effects. just throwing it out there in case the cortisone injections don't last very long.

as for the procedure. topical i didn't need meds while having it done. so i opted out of them for the fluoroscopy procedure, that was a huge mistake on my part. i didn't think to use any drugs after (not sure what I could have taken anyway), but i did ice it a lot until it calmed down.

i do think its worth trying. and good luck. hope it helps you as much as it helped me. hugss

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. fish oil. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs

#439737 - 04/14/11 06:30 PM Re: SI Sacrum Cortisone Injection [Re: ValsMum]
Pea Offline
Lieutenant_AS_Kicker

Loc: Pacific Northwest
I have been having the facet joint injections and they have enabled me to walk without a cane. I have had them since October of last year. They have worked so well for me that the Dr. is going to do a Rhizotomy on May 10th which last longer and is the next step. They work wonder's for me! I swear by them. He prescribes me a Valium to take an hour before just because I am in so much pain that going into that cold, sterilized room and someone just touching you is sensory overload. He gives me more sedative before the procedure and I don't hardly feel anything. I usually get relief the next day but if I go longer between shot's it takes up to 3-4 days before I am walking good again with no pain. I am going to have it done up in the Thoracic area also as my rib pain is about to jump off right now. I have had some in the neck also and it really help's me turn my head! I hope you get some relief
Remicade, Intrathecal Pain Pump 2013

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 23 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Question about narcotic efficacy in AS
by Megan
07/24/14 02:58 AM
Anyone else get twitching?
by Songstress06
07/23/14 11:16 AM
former employers
by elmerfudd
07/22/14 07:37 PM
Would love some advice and support!- new member