Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#438047 - 04/03/11 05:48 AM What can I do to relieve/heal stiff leg muscles?
seb Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker

Loc: New Zealand
Hey smile

Played my first game of football for the season tonight. I got the fluid taken out of my bad knee a couple of weeks ago and its feeling quite a bit better so far. Its great being able to play, scored a goal aswell so really pleased. Was just wondering if anyone knows if there is anything that I can do/use to loosen up and help stiff leg muscles. I think we are prone to this alot more with AS (I am at least). Any tips/ideas?

Thanks! smile
Seb

#438051 - 04/03/11 06:08 AM Re: What can I do to relieve/heal stiff leg muscles? [Re: seb]
jet
Unregistered

Hi Seb, good on ya mate; sounds like you had a good game. Only things i could suggest would be gentle stretching, a nice warm bath with Epsom salt (magnesium sulphate) followed up with massage. I guess elevating your bad knee might help if you got fluid.

#438055 - 04/03/11 08:58 AM Re: What can I do to relieve/heal stiff leg muscles? [Re: ]
hollyz143 Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker

Loc: Texas
Before AS (late 20's) I played indoor soccer (sorry - that's what we call it here) and was a gymnast in high school. The only thing that helped my sore stiff legs was to wrap super hot towels around them and leave them on until they got cold then rub the doo-dah out out of my legs so hard they would go numb.

Maybe not the best approach but it helped me.

I'm so glad you're staying active and doing what you love.

#438056 - 04/03/11 09:18 AM Re: What can I do to relieve/heal stiff leg muscles? [Re: hollyz143]
manatee Offline
Presidential_AS_Kicker

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hi Seb, good to hear from you. Sounds like you had a great game. Keep it up. I was an athlete too and the only thing that helped me was, as Jet said, was soaking in a hot tub in epsom salts. I always got the Lavendar epson salts, they say that Lavendar has healing and calming (to relax muscles) properites. You can get it at any pharmacy or Walmart, Kmart etc. just check around.
Cindy

#438065 - 04/03/11 10:52 AM Re: What can I do to relieve/heal stiff leg muscle [Re: manatee]
Kleb_Slayer Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker

Loc: BC, Canada
Hi Seb,
Congrats on the goal, nicely done! Haven't played footy myself since last Sept, I miss it.

I would make sure to supplement with Magnesium pills. Magnesium citrate seems to be the most common version of supplement on the shelves where ever I look.
M. Citrate can have an effect in your stomach, so don't over do its intake... (as in, runny tummy.)
I get calf cramps, and a tight neck from keyboarding, so I take about 300 mg of Mag. Citrate a day: that's one 150 mg pill, between meals, twice daily.

Like others recommend I also take an Epson salt bath before going to bed, helps a lot.

When I played a lot and sometimes semi-pulled a quad muscle I was advised to stretch them gently while applying ice (place ice pack on quad and stretch VERY gently). Of course use ice sparingly too, as not to restrict blod flow to the area for too long. Everything in moderation...!

After training/games, make sure to stretch well. I would sit on floor at home, stretching while watching tv...
Elevate the poorly knee and apply ice pack (bag of peas, whatever) for 10 minutes to lessen any potential swelling.

Also make sure to drink lots of water, this will help muscles "regenerate" after exercise. It's actually very important to also hydrate well BEFORE exercise, so drink plenty of water 2-3 hours before a game/practise.

What position do you play? I was always centre mid, and loved it wink

Edited by Kleb_Slayer (04/03/11 11:18 AM)
Started LDN Jan 2013.

#438067 - 04/03/11 11:04 AM Re: What can I do to relieve/heal stiff leg muscle [Re: Kleb_Slayer]
cemc Online   content
Captain_AS_Kicker

Loc: UK
I'm not a soccer player, but I do get very tight sore calves, and heat is definitely nice on them. I wonder if making sure you do a really full warm up before you play might help - gently stretching those muscles as well as a bit of massage, maybe even walking around quite a bit. I'm sure someone else could chime in with an appropriate routine. My thinking is that if you can get the tendons and muscles loose and flexible enough slowly to start with they are less likely to seize up on you when you put more stress on them during the game.

#438070 - 04/03/11 11:12 AM Re: What can I do to relieve/heal stiff leg muscles? [Re: seb]
Jaybird Offline
Silver_AS_Kicker

Loc: The Matrix
I'm with the others regarding using magnesium. The only thing I want to add is you may need to experiment with the type of magnesium you use. While citrate is very bioavailable and effective, it can have that unpleasant side effect of loose stools at higher dosages. Make sure you divide the dosages throughout the day. Additionally, some other beneficial forms are malate, aspartate, orotate, and glycinate.

There is a great slow release preparation that my doctor referred to me available here in the States. That type of supplement was really the only form of magnesium I've used that made a significant difference in the muscles in my lower back. Not sure if it is available outside the U.S. However, if you can find a slow release version of the magnesium supplement, any slow release form, that may be very worth considering.

Also, topical magnesium (as magnesium chloride) might be useful to you for after game soreness or stiffness.

Almost all of us long for peace and freedom; but very few of us have much enthusiasm for the thoughts, feelings, and actions that make for peace and freedom. - Aldous Huxley

Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now. - Thomas Jefferson

#438073 - 04/03/11 11:20 AM Re: What can I do to relieve/heal stiff leg muscle [Re: Jaybird]
Kleb_Slayer Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker

Loc: BC, Canada
Jaybird - do you recall the name if the slow release Magnesium product you Mentioned?

Thanks,
Kristine
Started LDN Jan 2013.

#438075 - 04/03/11 11:54 AM Re: What can I do to relieve/heal stiff leg muscles? [Re: seb]
naj Offline
Diamond_AS_Kicker

Loc: U.S.A.
Stay hydrated, water with a splash of juice! Warm baths. Socks filled with lentils, kept in the freezer, placed on legs, more warm baths, rest...turmeric and fish oil and more rest!

Best wishes, you are awesome!!

#438083 - 04/03/11 01:00 PM Re: What can I do to relieve/heal stiff leg muscle [Re: Kleb_Slayer]
Jaybird Offline
Silver_AS_Kicker

Loc: The Matrix
Mag-Tab SR.

Forgot to mention...it did test positive for starch with the iodine. It may not be for you if you follow NSD.

Edited by Jaybird (04/03/11 01:03 PM)
Edit Reason: Forgot to mention...

Almost all of us long for peace and freedom; but very few of us have much enthusiasm for the thoughts, feelings, and actions that make for peace and freedom. - Aldous Huxley

Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now. - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Just find out I have AS!!! :(
by Tejas
Today at 08:35 AM
High cholesterol and low WBC after 3 months on NSD
by Elouis
Yesterday at 04:29 PM
Cervical Manipulation Therapy - Don't Go There
by MollyC1i
Yesterday at 12:26 PM
Anyone have a spiralizer?