Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
ValsMum Offline OP
Steel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker
V
When I go to the rheumatologists office I have to fill out a form with the same questions on it every month. There is a question on it and it is: How long(minutes/hours) do you have pain/stiffness in the morning?
My level of pain seems to be the same all day.? How is it for most of you? I do feel a little worse in the morning but there isn't that much difference. I was wondering if this is common.

Last edited by ValsMum; 03/30/11 04:12 PM.

Diet change has improved my RA. I feel best eating raw veggies and some fruits and avoiding grains, sugars, nightshades, beans and dairy. Sed rate dropped from 65 to 19, but it took over a year.
www.fatsickandnearlydead.com

excess fat/oils = pain for me
recipes for raw food on Youtube "raw food romance"
and "healing josephine" Josephine is in remission from RA after two years by change diet/exercise
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
for me it's not a cut and dry question really.

i'm stiff and sore when i wake up, but the degree depends largely on how many hours i sleep, if i start in the recliner and get up and move to the bed, etc.

my toes and fingers seem stiff only til i move and stretch them. even better if i use the paraffin wax bath upon rising or get in the shower.

my spine and pelvis stay stiff and sore for hours with no intervention. less so with a hot shower. and even less if i get out and walk. and even less if i use my heated mattress pad.

if i'm allowed to tell them all of that, it gives a much clearer picture of what is going on.

and then at the end of the day, i can get sore in my back and pelvis/SI/butt if i've sat too much. sore feet if i've stood too much. sore hands if i've used them too much. then its more of a tendon / enthesis issue i think.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Val - the answer to your question could be different depending on your diagnosis. That specific question helps to differentiate between inflammatory arthritis versus osteoarthritis. I believe they are specifically referring to joint stiffness.

Of course, not everyone is the same. For example, a positive rheumatoid factor can help to diagnose RA but not everyone with RA is RF positive (I'm not). People may be stiff for different reasons than inflammatory arthritis.

I think by asking these standard questions over time they can help to build a picture of what the illness is, how it's impacting you as an individual and how it's changing over time.

For example, a classic symptom of RA is painful, swollen or stiff joints in fingers and hands. At first I had no hand problems at all. In fact, it made me doubt my diagnosis for a while. Then, several months later I began to develop stiff painful hands to the point at which I couldn't straighten my fingers when I first got up in the morning. They would improve over the next hour or so as I used my hands.

As you asked this question in the RA forum, where you particularly interested in responses from others with RA?

Wendy

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Methotrexate, Celebrex, Plaquenil
V
ValsMum Offline OP
Steel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker
V
Wendy,
I was sort of curious to hear from those with RA, because I have RA. My pain and stiffness are a little worse in morning but somethings like my lower back hurt the same amount all day.
I just wondered about this question, so I asked.
Thanks!

Diet change has improved my RA. I feel best eating raw veggies and some fruits and avoiding grains, sugars, nightshades, beans and dairy. Sed rate dropped from 65 to 19, but it took over a year.

and "healing josephine" Josephine is in remission from RA after two years by change diet/exercise
Supreme_AS_Kicker
Supreme_AS_Kicker
Yeah, what my sister Sue says.... Those questionaires suck--too many 'buts, ifs, explaining'. I try to be truthful, but if I can't decide what to say, I'll go with the more negative answer. I've been trying to track pain on an iphone app and it's good, but seems to hang in the same area 5-6-7 most of the time, with a few 8-9 on bad days. I just wish it would send the report without problem...I just copy the info into a pocket calendar at this point.

(I work 2nd shift, get up around 10am to noon, go to work at 3pm and get off at midnight). Stiff in morning. Less so since Remicade started kicking in (a very little) but still stiff. A couple of good-ish hours around 5-7pm. Then it goes downhill due to being on concrete and on my feet a lot. Back hurts and feet/legs hurt. (SIJ is better since radiofrequency ablation--love my pain doc). So yes, stiff lasts most of the day and is the rule rather than the exception.

A shower will help morning stiffness at times. If I took it before bed, I'd be up for hours more-too stimulating sad. If pain levels are up at bedtime, I'll do the rotisserie chicken act till meds start to work. (flipping over and over)

Not sure if they need a questionaire that has better questions or one that is more disease specific (and useful). Was this answer confusing enough?? Very tired....going to sleep. Hugs.

Nevermind all this...realized it was in the RA forum. Definitely going to bed now.

Last edited by rumble; 04/01/11 07:01 AM. Reason: stupid

DX: Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Psoriasis
Meds: MTX since Oct 2009, 15mg/week. Cimzia-restarted after 2 yrs away.
Epidural Steroid Injections x8; Lumbar Radiofreq Ablation x2
SIJ Steroid Injection x3; Bilateral Radiofreq Ablation SIJ x9
V
ValsMum Offline OP
Steel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker
V
I like your answer Rumble. I am trying to get a picture of what the difference between RA and AS is because I have pain in my sacrum/lower back all day and it is worse than my knees, elbow and wrists. It causes me the most pain and my dr does not ask me about it that much becasue I have RA, but I want to get the point across that I may have AS. I was only dxd a year and a half ago, so I want to be on the right kind of medication if I do in fact, have AS. My buttocks ache and the pain in my lower back is dull and constant, I just want the right diagnosis. I get along well with my dr so I'm afraid if I leave to get another diagnosis somewhere else i might not like that dr at all and be in a worse situation. I'll just keep reitterating my point at every visit. Thanks for your words on the matter, Rumble, it helps me.
Take care!

K
kevin_A
Unregistered
kevin_A
Unregistered
K
It can be difficult I think AS and RA are very similar in symptoms.
My mother had severe RA and OA but was very like me curved spine and a lot of hip and Iliac pain Her hands were all twisted and her feet she also had osteoporosis and broke her bones very easy but she didn't have AS.

Supreme_AS_Kicker
Supreme_AS_Kicker
You're welcome. Ironically, somehow I've ended up with my dx code being RA on paperwork at rheumy's (started out as inflammatory arthritis). Not sure when it happened, but still think it's more likely to be a spondy of some sort than RA. Since I'm getting the same treatment, I'll just keep on going. Am going to mention the SIJ saga, along with the list of painful spots, at this next visit.

Someone wiser than me once pointed out that most all the treatments for RA, AS, etc, are very similar, so the dx may be less important than the treatment received. Good luck...hope the doc listens closely to you.

DX: Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Psoriasis
Meds: MTX since Oct 2009, 15mg/week. Cimzia-restarted after 2 yrs away.
Epidural Steroid Injections x8; Lumbar Radiofreq Ablation x2
SIJ Steroid Injection x3; Bilateral Radiofreq Ablation SIJ x9
V
ValsMum Offline OP
Steel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker
V
Thanks Kevin,
I just want to get the right medication, because the one I'm taking(Orencia) isn't for AS, it took me forever to finally take the stuff and I want it to be the right medication.
I've seen a previous picture of your poor back, said I a lil prayer for ya, couldn't help it, your back looks like it hurts.

Well take care.
Sheri

Moderated by  WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!