Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#426642 - 12/31/10 08:47 AM Re: Do you get chest pain with RA ? [Re: Michelle70605]
hollyz143 Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker

Loc: Texas
I used to get horrific chest pains. Not often, but when they hit, it was worse than anything (looking back, I can say it was worse than having my boys -- naturally/no drugs). I wonder now if it was another early sign of AS that I missed.

I went to the ER with it once and they dismissed me because my husband smelled like booze at the time. We were on our way home from a concert and since I was designated driver, I didn't drink at all. But he smelled really, really bad. They asked me several times what I had had to drink, or smoke. GRRRR. Finally said it was heartburn and sent me on my way.

#426731 - 12/31/10 04:40 PM Re: Do you get chest pain with RA ? [Re: hollyz143]
avonldy Offline
Major_AS_Kicker

Loc: N. Sacramento Valley
I have been getting the chest pain right in the breastbone. One time I went in to my GP because it was hurting so much as well as my left shoulder. They immediately had me hooked up to the Electrocardiograph machine to rule out a heart attack. At my age, 70, every time I get the chest pain I worry about it. I figure if the breastbone is tender to the touch, it's inflammatory, not heart related. I usually just take a pain pill and put on an ice pack till it feels better. It can be scary, especially when it wakes you up in the middle of the night.
But live your todays.
Do the very best you can
leave the rest to God.
God Bless,

#426734 - 12/31/10 04:48 PM Re: Do you get chest pain with RA ? [Re: avonldy]
Michelle70605 Offline
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Louisiana
Hi Donna...that sounds like costochondritis to me, it's painful, I'm glad to hear that they've ruled out heart attack though...hugss Happy New Year, friend... grin
Age 17-Psoriasis
Age 32-Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Age 33-Sacroilitis
Age 35-Interstitial Cystitis
Age 40-AS
Age 44-Fibro
Age 44-PsA
Age 45-MS
Age 46-Sjogrens
Age 46-Raynauds
Age 47-PF

#428381 - 01/13/11 06:15 AM Re: Do you get chest pain with RA ? [Re: Michelle70605]
ValsMum Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker

Thanks Donna, Holly and Michelle. I don't have family with RA so there is noone to ask and believe I have a million questions about RA.
Funny story Holly, I'm sure it wasn't funny that night though:)

#428394 - 01/13/11 09:20 AM Re: Do you get chest pain with RA ? [Re: ValsMum]
WendyR Offline

Loc: BC, Canada
Hi ValsMum,

As I have RA and have done quite a bit of research into it, I may be able to answer some of your questions or point you in the direction of articles or other information. Please feel free to ask.

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Methotrexate, Celebrex, Plaquenil

#428486 - 01/13/11 09:30 PM Re: Do you get chest pain with RA ? [Re: avonldy]
Angelmom Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Oklahoma..where the wind comes...
Girls,

I think Michelle is right...I have had many episodes with this and if you can look up on the internet like a human body on the inside we have muscles, tendons, and there is a sheath that covers our ribs and breastplate. It always feels like heart issues sharp pain, dull pain, extreme pain when you breath in out or cough or sneeze.

Donna is right, IF you have any kind of heart issues rule those out BUT sadly if it is costo pretty much the only thing that will help is pain meds and steroids, I have been in the hospital hooked up to IV steroids which work the quickest.

They may also tell you its plerusy which I feel its all related but if you do pain pills and steroids and feel better its not going to be your heart but it sure can feel like it.

Lisa

#430739 - 01/31/11 09:12 PM Re: Do you get chest pain with RA ? [Re: Angelmom]
Brandon Offline
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker

Loc: Afton, TN, USA
This explains alot of pains I have had. I know there chest issues but mine weren't centered. Now I know why. I love this place more and more everyday.

#430790 - 02/01/11 08:16 AM Re: Do you get chest pain with RA ? [Re: WendyR]
Lon Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming
Wendy,
Most of my blood work is within normal range, occasionally they are high, same way with the gout tests, but my very first diagnosis 50 years ago was RA. What do you think about test scores and us problematic people.

Chest pain = get checked for asthma also, having my inhalers has get me going.

agape'
Lon

#430875 - 02/01/11 10:59 PM Re: Do you get chest pain with RA ? [Re: Lon]
WendyR Offline

Loc: BC, Canada
Hi Lon - I think it makes diagnosis that much harder. Although I found it scary having such a high CRP reading, I also knew that it was helpful in terms of making rheumatologists take my illness seriously.

Even so, it took a while to get my diagnosis because my RA did not start in a classic way. It started very rapidly with high CRP and ESR readings quite soon. I had no hand involvement for quite while and I did not have a positive rheumatoid factor. My first joint pains were in my shoulders and then that spread to my sternoclavicular joints, sternum and ribs. At that point, it seemed more likely to be a spondy.

Eventually, it was the lack of spinal involvement and the symmetry of the joint involvement that strongly suggested RA and then gradually other symptoms, like my wrist and finger joint pain that eventually developed, seemed to confirm the diagnosis.

It seems to me that time usually produces a diagnosis as these autoimmune diseases develop and symptoms become more obvious. That was certainly my case and it made me realize how important it was not to make assumptions and try to make symptoms fit a desired diagnosis. Patience seems to produce answers in the end.

I don't know if that answers your question, Lon? Glad you're getting checked for asthma. My son suffers from it.

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Methotrexate, Celebrex, Plaquenil

#436365 - 03/21/11 01:59 PM Re: Do you get chest pain with RA ? [Re: WendyR]
ValsMum Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker

I had some more questions about chest pain and RA.
How do you know the difference between arthritis/inflammation in chest and pluersy or fluid around heart or lungs? The chest pain always creeps me out, but I'm sick of going to the dr, so I usually ask all my questions at my regular visits with my rheumatologist, but then I forget half time.
What kinds of test to they give for chest inflammation/pain? MRI?
Thanks ..again.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  WendyR 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 115 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
In my Bones - AS documentary on YouTube
by CoolTech
01/16/19 05:45 AM
Kicking Opiates
by Melliej
01/14/19 11:05 AM
Newbie- Travelling with/transporting biologicals
by habiba
01/10/19 06:41 AM
NSD for AS and IBS: some help with candidiasis?
by Bazel
01/09/19 12:41 AM
Hello Forum! New here, my story and questions.
by Bazel
12/30/18 01:43 AM
No Wonder!
by Lon
12/29/18 11:19 AM
Sad news
by LINCinNYC
12/27/18 04:22 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
"FITNESS" TEAM! - All Physical Activity & Sports 41,964,898
hmmm 2,189,104
Has anyone had Pedicle subtraction Osteotomy ? 1,826,181