Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#425976 - 12/24/10 07:37 AM Do you get chest pain with RA ?
ValsMum Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker

My chest pain feels like its in the bones or cartiladge somedays.(I had it checked out one night at the walk in clinic)

I had an xray to rule out any infection in my lungs. I was just wondering if any of you get pain as bad as your joint pain but in your chest and then it feels like it goes through to the back in the same spot as well? Usually its on a bad day where everything hurts.

thanks.

#426023 - 12/24/10 12:33 PM Re: Do you get chest pain with RA ? [Re: ValsMum]
SJLC Offline
Iron_AS_Kicker

Loc: CA, USA
You've probably got costochondritis, which plenty of people here have experienced -- both RA and AS can cause it.

http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/costochondritis

The joints where ribs attach to the spine in the back can also get inflamed. That's why I used to hate sneezing before I got my AS more under control.

#426025 - 12/24/10 12:48 PM Re: Do you get chest pain with RA ? [Re: SJLC]
WendyR Offline

Loc: BC, Canada
Hi ValsMum,

I have RA and get pain in my sternum and particularly in my sternoclavicular joints. Just touching my clavicle can cause me to wince.

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Methotrexate, Celebrex, Plaquenil

#426026 - 12/24/10 01:02 PM Re: Do you get chest pain with RA ? [Re: WendyR]
ValsMum Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker

Thank you SJLC and Wendy. SJLC, thank you for the link, I'm sure that is what I have, especially since you and others around here have it too.

It's always creepy when you get chest pain.While I'm being nosey, Do any of you get night sweats or have iron deficient anemia, it's a little different than Anemia of Chronic Disease?

Thanks,
Sheri

#426033 - 12/24/10 02:03 PM Re: Do you get chest pain with RA ? [Re: ValsMum]
EricaK Offline
Royal_AS_kicker

Loc: Colorado, USA
Yep, I've had chest pain on and off since I was about 8 years old. It comes and goes, but last year just before the starting Cymbalta & LDN it was at it's worst. I can wear a bra sometimes now, so that's a bit improvement! I hope you feel better soon. smile

Movin' it so I don't lose it!

#426054 - 12/24/10 02:56 PM Re: Do you get chest pain with RA ? [Re: ValsMum]
Sue22 Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Upstate NY
ribs attach in the front and back and when one side is hurting, the other side often joins in. last fall, the ribs in the back, where they attach at the spine, and then where they were rubbing up against the shoulder blades, very bad, and for a time, where they attach to the sternum exquisitely painful.

right now, that sternoclavicle joint that wendy is talking about, on the left side is killing me.

other times, ok, all the time, the ribs are tender to the touch, varies by how much. so bra wearing is just out. and if i have to go in for an ultrasound where they press on the ribs, i take a muscle relaxant before i go, helps some with the pain; an antiinflammatory would help more. the week i was on prednisone, was the only week since i can remember that my ribs weren't tender.

so that's my "chest pain", definitely the ribs!

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)

#426212 - 12/27/10 02:13 AM Re: Do you get chest pain with RA ? [Re: ValsMum]
Michelle70605 Offline
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Louisiana
Hi ValsMum, your symptoms sound like costochondritis to me...to me, it feels like someone has stabbed me in the chest with a butcher knife...I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this, I know it's painful... frown I had my first costochondritis attack the summer I turned 12, it was about 12 hours after I finished a big swim meet, I woke up in the middle of the night with chest pain, my Mom took me to the ER because it hurt too bad to breathe normally, the Doc called it Tietze's Syndrome, he told me that my costal cartilage was inflammed, from the strenuous physical activities of the swim meet but I suspect that this was my AS, the year before that, at age 11, I was Dxed with bursitis and then Sacroiilitis, then Thoracic Outlet Syndrome(TOS) and Interstitial Cystitis 11 years ago...when I look back over my life, it seems the AS was there all along, I would describe my childhood symptoms as acute rather than chronic, it mainly affected the major joints, I had a propensity for pneumonia, I had severe fatigue during flares, I had frequent hospital stays, after being life-flighted in due to massive internal hemorrhaging, I spent a year in the terminally ill ward at a children's hospital but my Dad brought in a phenomonal young urologist that he'd read about and had him run some tests and give a second opinion...it turned out to be a tumor that was wrapped around my kidneys and bladder and had it not been removed, it would've eventually killed me, after 27 hours of surgery and surrendering 1/3 of my bladder, I was saved!!! angel3d Everything was fine with my pain levels and fatigue in between flares...I just thought the pain was from being so rough as a kid(horses, dirtbikes, skateboards..etc.) and I thought nothing of it, I had no idea at all that anything was wrong with me... but a few months after Katrina & Rita, my back was hurting way worse than normal, so I went to an Ortho, he took x-rays of my back and said, "Well girl, no wonder your back hurts, your lumbar spine has fused itself together!!", that's how and when I was diagnosed, the fusion showed up on an x-ray, I was 42 years old at the time...back then, I would average 2-4 flares a year, they would last around 1-3 weeks...but then a few months after Katrina & Rita, my back was hurting way worse than normal, so I went to an Ortho, he took x-rays of my back and said, "Well girl, no wonder your back hurts, your lumbar spine has fused itself together!!", over the next few years, my symptoms became chronic and much more severe, the pain levels get high enough that at times it drives my blood pressure up, so I have to stay on high blood pressure medication and my pain meds, to keep it down and the fatigue has now become debilitating, where as before, I wasn't fatigued when not flaring...but these last few years, I've been in a constant flare, with small breaks here and there... the biologics and Methotrexate do help with my symptoms to some degree but I'm not getting the fantastic results that I used to get from the Enbrel, perhaps because I've been on it so long (I participated in the clinical trials in the mid-90s, so I've decided to go NSD, starting Jan. 2, 2011...I've decided to wait until after the holidays.... :santa2: Again, I'm so very sorry that you're having to deal with this, it stinks and I hope you get relief soon friend, until then, big hugs, hugss
Age 17-Psoriasis
Age 32-Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Age 33-Sacroilitis
Age 35-Interstitial Cystitis
Age 40-AS
Age 44-Fibro
Age 44-PsA
Age 45-MS
Age 46-Sjogrens
Age 46-Raynauds
Age 47-PF

#426232 - 12/27/10 10:58 AM Re: Do you get chest pain with RA ? [Re: ValsMum]
Lon Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming
Hi,
Yes, to all the posts. But I do not feel better taking it easy. Atleast when I exercise I have a sensae of feelign better. I have a disk that seems to slip and then I get jaw pain and a excruciating pain when I breath.
Lin thinks it is my heart...

I learn alot by reading all ytour posts. It helps knowing that it is actual pain and not jsut my crazy thinking.

#426331 - 12/28/10 03:41 PM Re: Do you get chest pain with RA ? [Re: Lon]
ValsMum Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker

Thanks Michelle and Lon,

Wow Michelle you had it rough, not that you don't now but pain as a child and in a ward for so long, wow.

My pain is a year old or so, but it's ever so constant everyday all the time. Once in awhile I'll get a cortisone shot in my knee and it makes the pain in my back feels better too.

Tell me Michelle,
How much of your spine is fused? Is it an inch or 4 inches ?
This is all new to me.
They have xrayed me 2 times because my lower back hurts so much.
Thank you,
Sheri

Edited by ValsMum (12/28/10 03:41 PM)

#426334 - 12/28/10 04:44 PM Re: Do you get chest pain with RA ? [Re: ValsMum]
Michelle70605 Offline
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Louisiana
Hi Sheri...well, I really didn't suffer that much until these last 15 years,or so, I'm not certain that the problem I had that landed me the 'terminally ill' prognosis at age 7 was related to auto-immune at all, though I suspect that it was, I was rushed in with hemorraging, hospitalized and misdiagnosed as having TB of the kidney and my parents were told it was terminal but the urologist that Dad brought in months later, discovered a tumor that was strangling my kidneys and bladder, once removed, along with a thrird of my bladder that it had choked off, causing necrosis, I had no more problems until the bursitis Dx at 11, then as the years went by it just went on and on but I really had an active and relatively normal childhood, I was active in sports, I think my saving grace from fusion at a younger age, was that I was on a swim team and I swam daily so, as the phrase goes, "Move It or Fuse It!"...my disease activity would come and go in the form of small flares and I had problems during one of my pregnancies and I've always had trouble with my kidneys, a simple UTI turns into full blown Pyleonephritis overnight and I had many bouts of pneumonia when I was younger...it's only after many decades of minor stuff that I found myself here...I have complete lumbar fusion, both SI joints are fused, partial thoracic fusion and partial thoracic fusion, with visible bridging that was as of last year, I see my rheumatologist on Jan. 6th and I'll get the full body review then...I've had a bad couple of years in regards to my disease activity, so I expect that more damage is there, I'm hoping to my rheumy will kick up my Enbrel to twice a week again...as the once a week isn't helping much...I've had to start and stop treatment several times over the last couple of years due to infection...so it would be great if I can get back to where I need to be. I'm so sorry that you're having such a rough year, constant pain can really cause problems, I'm glad that you've found us though, you've definitely come to the right place and I'm so glad that you did... smile
Age 17-Psoriasis
Age 32-Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Age 33-Sacroilitis
Age 35-Interstitial Cystitis
Age 40-AS
Age 44-Fibro
Age 44-PsA
Age 45-MS
Age 46-Sjogrens
Age 46-Raynauds
Age 47-PF

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  WendyR 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Short question about hunger and NSD
by Bazel
Today at 08:22 AM
New to the group, have a few questions
by pseudoguru
06/19/19 02:04 PM
IL-23–producing IL-10Rα–deficient gut macrophages
by daredevil
06/16/19 09:10 AM
MS and neurological symptoms
by Wilhelm
06/12/19 07:54 PM
How long did it take you for full recovery?
by beyondas
06/09/19 05:18 AM
Pain Conundrum
by mutagen
06/08/19 08:15 PM
I made a picture food guide which is healing my AS
by Arashi
06/08/19 11:43 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
"FITNESS" TEAM! - All Physical Activity & Sports 45,998,254
hmmm 2,286,951
Has anyone had Pedicle subtraction Osteotomy ? 1,919,085