Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 146 of 566 1 2 144 145 146 147 148 565 566
EricaK Offline OP
Royal_AS_kicker
OP Offline
Royal_AS_kicker
Good job! cheerleader High five to your whole work team. yes

Originally Posted By: LATH
My only concern is, "Can I look up while on the wall?"

Originally Posted By: Sue22
we have a climbing wall here on campus, i've often wondered if i could do that

Originally Posted By: EricaK
Please fee free to use my over-doing-it idiocy as an example, and be VEWY CAWEFUL WABBITS

Go TEAM! clap

ANA+ RF+ Rh- HLAB27+
Dx JRA 1967, GAD 1997, AS 2009, HMs 2010, CPS 2013
pulmonary edema w/ NSAIDS 2009

Movin' it so I don't lose it!

Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
Yesterdays run: 3.1 miles (5K) 29 minutes (forgot my GPS, but it was about that time. The course I have run many times.

Then 10 minutes of lifting weights.

Steve Orchard, Running from AS & MS
EricaK Offline OP
Royal_AS_kicker
OP Offline
Royal_AS_kicker
Originally Posted By: Orch
The course I have run many times.

Those are the best time, because you can exercise and meditate at the same time! cheerleader

Go TEAM! clap

ANA+ RF+ Rh- HLAB27+

EricaK Offline OP
Royal_AS_kicker
OP Offline
Royal_AS_kicker
Today I swam for 30 minutes, didn't count laps. Still trying not to drown from cramps in my back. But I think Molly's honey and cinnamon cure might have worked! It's the best I've felt in a week. yes

Go TEAM! clap

P.S. Was able to work for 4 hrs this afternoon. smile

ANA+ RF+ Rh- HLAB27+

Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Friday: walked 2 miles (40 min) stretched 30 minute and climbed a wall.

Yup...I climbed the wall. It was a great celebration. This was inside a warehouse so it must have been 40 ft high. This was the highest climbing wall I've ever seen! Well, other than Yosemite. I sat on the top of Half Dome once with my feet hanging over the edge just because that was something I wanted to do.

John
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
wow! that's fantastic! and to sit on the top of half dome, now that's something i could envision doing! when i was there, i was in the valley. i remember riding a bike and spending all my time staring up at the cliffs and almost running over pedestrians on foot. it was beautiful there.

anyway, glad you had and took this opportunity.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Dow Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Since you live in California and do some hiking, do you know of Norman Clyde?

More first ascents than anyone, a number of mountains are named after him, Clyde's Peak in the Sierra Nevada, guided Ansel Adams to take some of his famous photos...

He was my great uncle!

Dow
EricaK Offline OP
Royal_AS_kicker
OP Offline
Royal_AS_kicker
Originally Posted By: LATH

Yup...I climbed the wall. It was a great celebration.

Yay!! cheerleader

(Dangling over the edge of Half Dome? Yikes! eek2)

Go TEAM! clap

ANA+ RF+ Rh- HLAB27+

Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: Dow
Since you live in California and do some hiking, do you know of Norman Clyde?
Well, yes I have heard of Norman Clyde and Clyde's Peak. In this picture I was heading to that general area. We stopped at Mount Goddard. Clyde's Peak was on the other side across a canyon. I used to read a lot in those days looking for documented cross-country routes (without marked trails...just your map, compass and sense of direction) and I ran into your great uncle's name often.

The documentation is important because you spend days getting into an area and often our return trip was dependent on getting over and through a very high sierra pass. I would study a trip for up to six months sometimes (typically topo map reading was my "break" while in school). I would fill my pack with the minimum of required stuff. No tent...I used what's called a bivy sack. Some trips we went ultra light weight...we took no stove and no pots. Backpacking is an art that you perfect with time and experience. Looking at the picture do you see: 1) The water bottle in the pack pouch on the upper right. It was in reach of my left hand. 2) The bandana hanging down from my hat and the extra tied to the pack frame. Bandanas are very versatile. They provide protection from the swarms of mosquitoes (so many you hear a hum in the air), a way to transfer cooling stream water to my neck, and my cleaning rag. 3) The handmade container on the front of my left shoulder than contains my camera in close reach. 4) The headphone cord running into my left shirt pocket where I have my radio. 5) The red pouch hanging on my right that contains food. 6) The plastic pouch hanging on my left just above my hip that contains my map and compass (a little hard to see)...again within reach. 7) My trusty walking stick with a loop of rope at the top that goes around my wrist. I still have that stick. That stick has been to a lot of places with me (in my mental trail mind wandering it was my "staff of power" that energized me over passes...all I had to do was hold on...lol). 8) You can't see it but my telescoping fishing pole is in the top of the pack for easy access if needed.

John
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
That last post really sent me down memory lane and I found this resource on the internet replacing an obscure book I found in the local library. This has pass information: Sierra Passes I looked for one, Crystal Pass, that will forever be notched in my mind because of the shear drop from a 1 foot wide ledge we had scoot across.

It is described as class 3("This is climbing and should not be attempted without having the proper skills and experience. Your exposure (i.e., distance below) is a risk. You must know how to climb safely. You must know when to turn back. Correct route finding is critical. Hands and arms are used for holding on and to climb. Some stretches may require roping of packs, and individuals may require a belay. Miscues may result in serious falls and injury.")

We spent about an hour at Amphitheater Lake arguing about the route and checking the map. The picture on the right is taken from the point of that argument. We saw two specks (people) going up the route, we watched them and that ended the argument. I marked on this image the route I remember taking. When we got to the top it was a shear drop on the other side. I said at the time, "Well, we don't see the people we watched going up and we don't see their bodies at the bottom. So there must be a way down." We looked closely and we saw a ledge on the other side of a notch in the rock. That was the only way down the other side. We lowered ourselves through the notch onto the ledge. If you can visualize it...we could only scoot across walking sideways leaning CLOSELY against the mountain. There really wasn't any danger as long as we kept our weight leaning against the mountain. I did have a little worry at the point where the ledge transitioned to more open granite. The granite at this point was more quartz and crumbling. I remember thinking it looked like little marbles. We made it down to the lake below that was fed by glacier melt. We soaked our feet, high-fives all around, and talked about the beer and pizza that was just down the road.

Those are great memories!

John
Page 146 of 566 1 2 144 145 146 147 148 565 566

Moderated by  fyrfytr187, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!