Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#419794 - 11/13/10 01:03 PM Re: the feet: have any of you noticed...... [Re: WendyR]
WendyR Offline

Loc: BC, Canada
Can't remember if I've asked you before, Sue, but I'm assuming you've considered Ehlers-Danlos syndrome:

Ehlers-Danlos syndrome: A heritable disorder of connective tissue with easy bruising, joint hypermobility (loose joints), skin laxity, and weakness of tissues. There are a number of different types of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS) which share the foregoing features but can be categorized into at least nine different types

I thought it was notable that it includes loose joints and weak tissues - further reading made it sound as though the weak tissues are often ligaments, tendons and muscles.

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Methotrexate, Celebrex, Plaquenil

#419795 - 11/13/10 01:04 PM Re: the feet: have any of you noticed...... [Re: WendyR]
Sue22 Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Upstate NY
yes, EDS ruled out by many doctors, though the SI joint and ribs are loose, i am not hypermobile.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)

#419796 - 11/13/10 01:06 PM Re: the feet: have any of you noticed...... [Re: WendyR]
Sue22 Offline

well, that is one possibilty, but from my experience its the other way around for me, so can happen either way. otherwise a cortisone injection wouldn't tighten up an SI joint for 6-12 months at a time and a flector patch wouldn't do what it is doing either.

sue

Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
chiro
walk, bike

#419799 - 11/13/10 01:11 PM Re: the feet: have any of you noticed...... [Re: Sue22]
WendyR Offline

I got the impression from some of Molly's postings that one risk of cortisone injections was weakening of ligaments. She recommended I not have cortisone injections into my shoulder because of the risk of damaging the ligaments etc. I should do some more research on that but I think the belief is that cortisone does the opposite of "tightening up a joint".

I did have one cortisone injection into my shoulder despite Molly's advice! It has allowed me to gradually loosen it to the point that I almost have full range of motion in my right shoulder now.

Just supposing you had damage to your SI joints from overstretching and the damage led to inflammation - that might explain why cortisone and then flector patches would give you some relief.

Rheumatoid Arthritis

#419801 - 11/13/10 01:14 PM Re: the feet: have any of you noticed...... [Re: WendyR]
WendyR Offline

I think this is what Molly was talking about:

A study in the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery showed that the injecting cortisone-type medications repeatedly into injured tendons and ligaments delayed healing and weakened tissue.

Rheumatoid Arthritis

#419808 - 11/13/10 01:30 PM Re: the feet: have any of you noticed...... [Re: Sue22]
WendyR Offline

Here's another quote that tends to reinforce the idea that cortisone injections are more likely to have a detrimental affect on tendons and ligaments:

One of the first people to determine the effects of cortisone on ligament, tendon, and joint healing was George S. Hackett, M.D. In the mid- 1950s, he did studies where he injected injured ligaments, tendons, and joints with various agents, including cortisone. He found that cortisone inhibited the healing of these stretched and torn connective tissues.

Rheumatoid Arthritis

#419810 - 11/13/10 01:33 PM Re: the feet: have any of you noticed...... [Re: WendyR]
Sue22 Offline

oh i know, that's why after the last set only lasted for 6 months i told the doctor i wanted to try the flector patch instead and why i'm working so hard to get on an oral drug to prevent the inflammation. while the cortisone shots are really helpful when needed, i don't want to be making a habit out of them. kind of like what prednisone could do to my bones, while i loved being on it for that week to trial it, and i know some like you really don't have a choice right now, these things are like double edged swords. i agree totally.

sue

chiro
walk, bike

#419811 - 11/13/10 01:36 PM Re: the feet: have any of you noticed...... [Re: WendyR]
Sue22 Offline

possible, but then that wouldn't explain all the other inflammation throughout the body and the other spondy symptoms. and if that were the case, can't imagine that it would ever tighten up with the use of antiinflammatories.

sue

chiro
walk, bike

#419812 - 11/13/10 01:40 PM Re: the feet: have any of you noticed...... [Re: WendyR]
Sue22 Offline

think that's why its important to not inject the cortisone into a tendon or ligament but rather into the joint space so that the antiinflammatory properties can take effect but the cortisone doesn't weaken the tendon or ligament. but still, i know some joints should never be injected. but they do say the SI joint can be injected like twice a year and so far i've only had it done twice period. still whenever something is controversial, i prefer to err on the side of caution. thus i'd prefer to limit the cortisone. but sometimes its the only option that works, that's when i use it, very carefully, very sparingly, just don't know if i'm being overly cautious?

Edited by Sue22 (11/13/10 01:41 PM)

sue

chiro
walk, bike

#419828 - 11/13/10 03:51 PM Re: the feet: have any of you noticed...... [Re: WendyR]
MollyC1i Offline

Loc: Brittany, France (since Nov 08...
Hi again Wendy - Just come on for a half hour odd. Yes, cortisone is 'never' injected *into the tendon, it is injected into the joint space. Cortisone does 'not' 'tighten' up tendons, it holds inflammation! Now, IF a Dr injecvts *into the tendon he will/could create unholy damage to that tendon, by burning it out. All such injections are injected into the joint space, that is why all such injections should ONNLY be done under ultrasound guidance, as even in the hands of the very BEST orthopod, such an injection only has a chance of 70% success rate - i.e. 30% failure rate!

Better to use Hyaluronic Acid, Osternil, instead of cortisone. Please see shoulderdoc.co.uk for info on cortisone injections into the shoulder. Prof Funk has a deal of information on cortisone injections into the sjoulder.

The problem with cortisone injections into the shoulder is thqat they are soooo *popular, have 'always' been done - and so the blind go on leading the blind. Gotta do what we have always done syndrome. Thoughtless.

Cortisone is a different kettle of fish for the SI, knee, elbow. Should still only be done under ultrasound guidance, and no more than three in any one year. Can still do damage, as does burn out tendons etc etc, but not so dangerous as haveing cortisone into the shoulder.

It is the shoulder that is such a delicate beast - and the most mobile joint in the body. Needs additional and very careful care. Unfortunately, Drs prefer to take the easy road. Sigh.

TG I have NO hesitation in giving em the verbal boot!

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  fyrfytr187, WendyR 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 100 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Electromyography (EMG) test
by Magician
09/30/21 10:03 PM
Vaccination effect on AS
by WilliamA
03/27/21 12:57 PM
How many of us had / have covid?
by DonCA
07/23/20 03:19 AM
(Views)Popular Topics