Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#410359 - 08/30/10 08:38 PM iritis
Sue22 Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Upstate NY
can iritis calm down, go away on its own?

when i had eye pain a few weeks ago, it sure felt worse than the blepharitis i was diagnosed with about 2 years ago, but when it went away on its own within a few days, i just assumed it must be blepharitis.

was all set to go to the eye doctors, but it got better on its own. and then the back got bad and riding in the car would have been pure torture, so i canceled.

but today mig said one of the first signs of iritis is a headache that goes with it. and i definitely had an eye headache with it, was essentially out of commission for a few days.

i used to get these "eye headaches" back in my early 30s (after the gastritis / IBS kicked in, but before the arthritis kicked in), never knew to go to the eye doctors, they never lasted very long. i just had to stay away from any light for a day or two and they'd settle down. just assumed it was a migraine or allergies or something. now i wonder.

once my back is better, i will go to the eye doctors and talk to him about all of this, but thought i'd ask here as well.

thanks all,

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)

#410369 - 08/30/10 09:58 PM Re: iritis [Re: Sue22]
LATH Offline
Decorated_AS_Kicker

Loc: California, USA
I never got headaches before iritis. I would just wake up with an inflammed eye that was or became sensitive to light. It was so sensitive that I even wore sunglasses looking at my computer screen. Then the iritis progressed into an edema in the back of my eye that obliterated my central vision. This would happen in a couple of days and I was off to the doc for prednesone drops. Things seem to be under control now...knock on wood... I haven't had an eye event since 2008 when I started treatment for ulcerative colitis.

#410373 - 08/30/10 10:55 PM Re: iritis [Re: LATH]
Sue22 Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
thanks lath, it's descriptions like this that make me think it was just a bad case of blepharitis. and since dow has had bad iritis and we talk all the time and my eyes are nothing compared to his.........

but i also wouldn't want to be missing something like this even if it were "a mild case" if such a thing can exist? that's why i asked. wondering if it can be mild? wondering if it can die down on its own without pred drops?

thanks and glad your UC treatments cleared up your iritis.

once my stepfather's crohn's was finally dx'ed and treated, his eyes got better too. this was before they knew what they know now, i just remember him laying on the couch in the darkened living room, forbidding us to turn on any lights.

yeh, i know the wearing sunglasses while on the computer thing, for both my migraines and my eye headaches. but really taking a break from the computer and tv and just resting the eyes seems to be the only thing that really works, of course can't do that while trying to work for a living.

thanks again,

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)

#410395 - 08/31/10 07:17 AM Re: iritis [Re: Sue22]
Inanna Offline

Loc: UK
I get a headache in behind my eye when iritis is coming on. However, I also get one when I'm just plain overtired, so I can't always tell it's iritis. It's when the headache turns into a dagger through your eye when you change light sources that you know it's iritis. For me, it can take as little as moving from fully lit to very slightly shadowed and back that does it. Also, the feeling that your eye is dry and there's something in it. In combo with the dagger, you can be pretty certain it's iritis. Without the dagger, it could just be dry eyes.

Darnit, why is everything about this disease so darned similar to every other disease!! If you know what I mean.

Warm hugs,

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

#410408 - 08/31/10 09:27 AM Re: iritis [Re: Inanna]
Farinelli Offline
Silver_AS_Kicker

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hey Sue22! I have blepharitis as well. Annoying isn't it? I love me some baby shampoo though. Thanks to whoever invented that. My eye doctor (an M.D.) told me that he has seen AS patients with iritis without symptoms. He said that he can see the inflammation but they don't feel anything. He told me this is rare but possible. It seems unpredictable and individualized so I would rather be safe than sorry.

Craig

#410415 - 08/31/10 10:18 AM Re: iritis [Re: Sue22]
naj Offline
Diamond_AS_Kicker

Loc: U.S.A.
Gosh, good question, Sue. Let us know what your eye doctor says. Meanwhile, you can always ask the good folks at www.uveitis.org as they have an online support group as well as an "ask Dr Foster" section where questions are answered about iritis.

Sometimes I get eye headaches and sometimes my blepharitis flares up, but although I get worried that it is heralding a uveitis flare up, there is a difference. The iritis (uveitis, same thing) pain feels specific and it gets worse and worse.

Best wishes, Sue!

#410423 - 08/31/10 01:14 PM Re: iritis [Re: Farinelli]
Donette Offline
Gold_AS_Kicker

Loc: Idaho, USA
lol, Craig. What the heck do you do with the baby shampoo??

-Donette

#410427 - 08/31/10 01:22 PM Re: iritis [Re: Donette]
kevin_A
Unregistered

DONETTE dont ask laugh2 laugh2 laugh2 laugh2

#410428 - 08/31/10 01:23 PM Re: iritis [Re: Sue22]
Dow Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker

Loc: Valley Cottage, NY
I do believe I have read that iritis can clear up on its own. It is just another form of inflammation, triggered from some unknown reason.

As Mig has mentioned in other threads, you need an optho to take a look in the eye, using the slit scan light thingie, looking to see if there are active cells in the eye, to confirm active iritis

It's not an unpleasant pricedure, first he must use drops to keep the iris from responding to light by closing down, while they take 20 minutes or so, you sit in the waiting room. Then he shines a light in the eye, and takes a look, asks you to look left, right, down, up.

Every single time he says "Look up!" I always remember the song by the group Yes, called "It Can Happen" when they sing:

Look up - Look down
Look out - Look around
Look up - Look down
There's a crazy world outside
We're not about to lose our pride

& find that to be the hardest part of the experience, getting that damn song out of my head after that! tongue4

#410430 - 08/31/10 01:39 PM Re: iritis [Re: Dow]
Dow Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker

Loc: Valley Cottage, NY
P.S.

I don't get the headaches, all the pain for me is in the eye area, and it can come and go. I won't know if it's the beginning of iritis, or something else. But when it goes photo-sensitive, and even the light from opening the fridge door causes me to run for cover- that's a real big clue.. eek2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 53 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Typical NSD day
by DragonSlayer
07/03/20 02:25 PM
High sugars and inflammation
by DonCA
06/30/20 05:29 AM
Last year bad year for Auto-immune diseases?
by DonCA
06/29/20 03:23 PM
New Member AS patient Youtube Channel
by kristenlittle
06/16/20 05:58 AM
Antigen Based Immunotherapy
by sBrian
06/15/20 09:56 AM
As Patient You Tube Channel- brand new. all welco
by kristenlittle
06/14/20 07:58 PM
I created an optimistic AS You Tube channel