Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#410112 08/28/10 10:37 AM
S
Sani Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
S
Hi, i am a 24 year old female from India.
I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis about 8 years back and 2 years back i was diagnosed with AS as well.The pain is starting to get continous and unbearable now frown.Right now i have pain in hip joint, there's swelling there. IS it advisable to exercise the joint having swelling? does it help or worsen ?
Also i feel tired all the time.I wanted to ask, ifanybody has ulcerative colitis along with AS ... hw do u manage to follow no starch diet in that case ?Also, whether you control AS only thru diet control or do u take drugs if any? and can you pls suggest wot all food items suit u ?

J
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
J
Hi Sani

I am new here too, and I do not yet have a proper diagnosis but I do do the diet and I can tell you that for me it has relieved my IBS and other symptoms enormously

There is a book by Carol Sinclair called The Low Starch Diet, which will help you get to grips with the diet. Right now I am eating no starch at all and I am finding this very healing.

Right now I am spending my time reading all the posts from the last few months. This is helping me understand the illness and the diet better and it is helping me get to know the folk here better too

Love Joanne

My name is Joanne and I am about to go for tests for AS. Any advice would be much appreciated
AS Czar
AS Czar

Namaste, Sani:

I lived in India for a year and I was presented to "The Hakim," the saintly Sayed Hameed then head of Aligarth University and founder of Hamdard. He wrote a prescription of herbal pressings and told me to eat plenty of garlic and fenugreek, also.

You should understand ulcerative colitis in the context of AS; it is a "chicken-and-egg" thing. The AS would not be possible without some intestinal compromise and UC is certainly that, BIG TIME.

I found that I was able to eventually almost 100% control my AS through fasting, the Edgar Cayce Three Day Apple Diet, and very strict NSD (elimination of dairy). The problem with this is of course it is just too difficult to continue and I was traveling (to Philippines then), so I put Ebringer's work to the test and began taking antibiotics. Within four days I knew there was absolutely no better way to treat AS.

It is not easy, but after over 11 years on my own regimen and AP (Antibiotic Protocol) I can actually take antibiotics (bactgeriostatic) in advance of eating nearly any starchy meal. I will say it took several years to achieve this and also that I do not do this very often because I do not like taking antibiotics.

My explanation is that my tract healed enough so that I became more starch-tolerant, to some extent. But even now when my diet gets too sloppy and I am not on antibiotics, I can still develop severe symptoms (hip bursitis a couple of years ago) and I need to fast to put things right again.

INDIA would be very difficult for me, even today. South Indian food is KING (I even went to MTR for their masala dosa long before I learned about NSD).

False paneer is safe, all fish and halal meats of course, but curries and all powders and the like are very bad (badam is just asking for trouble).

So if You can eat some steamed rice and vegetables perhaps it would not be so bad; starches are at their worst if micronized (turned into flour) or soluble (potatoes and corn), or fried (almost everything in India; I even had bread pakora there!!).

Chances are better to fast and heal the UC any way possible for this is the root of the AS. Even if some healers suggest ghee or some milk product this might be good as "colostrum" has been used to help with LGS (Leaky Gut Syndrome), so there could be something in the Ayurvedic material that would help.

But The Hakim used Unani medicine and spoke Urdu:

HAKIM; photobucket

Also in my photobucket are images of scanned-in papers on the use of sea cucumber and how to test for starch using iodine.

Hope this helps You, HEALTH,
John

V
Steel_AS_Kicker
Steel_AS_Kicker
V
To Dragonslayer,

What antibiotics would you recommend and at what dosage? I want to call my rheumatologist and get started. Sulfasalizine has brought my pain level down a notch, but that's it, just a tad.
I keep reading about minocycline, does it come in a form that is starch free? Which ones stain teeth?

Thank you.

Diet change has improved my RA. I feel best eating raw veggies and some fruits and avoiding grains, sugars, nightshades, beans and dairy. Sed rate dropped from 65 to 19, but it took over a year.
www.fatsickandnearlydead.com

excess fat/oils = pain for me
recipes for raw food on Youtube "raw food romance"
and "healing josephine" Josephine is in remission from RA after two years by change diet/exercise
S
Sani Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
S
Thannk you so much everybody smile
So Dragonslayer, do you suggest going for the 3 day only apple diet initially(after getting in control of UC) and then going for no starch diet for some days and then slowly move to low starch diet ?

naj Offline
Diamond_AS_Kicker
Diamond_AS_Kicker
Hi Sani,
are you a vegetarian?
I suggest you read Carol Sinclair's book.
I believe that many people with AS have UC, or at least some form of IBS if not IBD. The diet that eliminates starches (polysaccharides) will help heal your UC and thus help your AS.
My idea is to have an introductory diet. In my case I responded very well to starting with soup, just broth and chicken. I made eggs and also very weak tea with no milk. And I LOVE milky tea! : )
If the apple fasting works for you, then that's great. For me, I had some trouble with that, and the soup worked better in my case. : )
Best wishes and blessings and let us know how you feel.
I want you to feel well.

Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Hi there, Joanne...

You mentioned spending your time reading the posts from the past several months. I also spent last summer (when I was newer to the diet) reading and reading and reading... not only the recent posts, but also posts from the past 10+ years. I would find someone who has been extremely successful with the diet and then read tons of their posts. I found this EXTREMELY helpful (and inspiring). If you only read more recent posts, you are only seeing the point of view of the people posting right now. There are some "oldtimers" that pop in every once in awhile and some who stopped posting once they felt better. I would hate for you to miss out on all of their diverse experiences towards healing. If you want me to send you the notes I took at that time (which are crazy long and may or may not make sense to you because of how they are organized), send me a pm. (this offer is for anyone interested)

wink
Stacey

naj Offline
Diamond_AS_Kicker
Diamond_AS_Kicker
Sani,
I would suggest you check out Carol Sinclair's book, but I have to say, I disagree with her on one point. She suggests cutting out starches slowly, seeing what you can tolerate and what you cannot. Just from my point of view, I would eliminate all grains and potatoes and milk straightaway, then let your body heal, then later see what you can add back in. I know your comment was directed for John, but just thought I'd chime in. : )

naj Offline
Diamond_AS_Kicker
Diamond_AS_Kicker
@ Stacey: excellent point, I did that too and got a lot of benefit from that.
Hey, how are you? : )

J
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
J
Stacey

Please please do. I know the more I am learning here the more my heart is becoming peaceful. as crazy as that sounds, I have kown for several years now that I have been heading for a wheelchair. Just knowing, that by instinct I was doing what you lot have been doing gives me a warm feeling of hope inside. Not just that, my thoughts are beginning to weave together and make sense. I know my circumstances are probably a bit unique, and it is incredibly difficult to put into words the revoationary experience i am having, but it is good, all good. And it is seriously doing very good things for my welbeing

Love Joanne

My name is Joanne and I am about to go for tests for AS. Any advice would be much appreciated
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (haydenk, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM