Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#406247 - 08/04/10 08:27 AM fuzzy head - related to neck problems?
cemc Offline
Captain_AS_Kicker

Loc: UK
I can't think straight at the moment. Its hard to keep my eyes in focus, though optician checks show my sight is OK. My head feels like I have a permanent hangover. I can't keep my head and neck straight because of pain, but if I let my head droop forward (especially in evening when sitting in armchair) then I get really woozy and can't keep my eyes open or stay awake. It feels like I am totally drugged, though I really don't think the list of meds I'm on should do that - its just diclofenac, baclofen (for muscle spasms - have been on this for 4 years now so should be used to it) paracetamol and codeine for pain. I've slowed down on the paracetamol and codeine and rarely take it during the week now to try and keep my mind alert for work, but its not making any difference.

Can neck problems really be doing all this, or is it something else that is mucking up my brain?

#406250 - 08/04/10 08:43 AM Re: fuzzy head - related to neck problems? [Re: cemc]
EricaK Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker

Loc: Colorado, USA
That doesn't sound at all normal.

Better go get a blood panel just to be sure you're not having toxicity from the meds! Toxicity can definitely develop over time, and liver toxicity makes on incredibly exhausted and dull thinking.

Sorry you're feeling so icky frown

Movin' it so I don't lose it!

#406252 - 08/04/10 08:54 AM Re: fuzzy head - related to neck problems? [Re: EricaK]
kevin_A
Unregistered

Hi cemc,
Yes it does do that to you as you might have seen in my post my neck is fully fused now but I still get a lot of pain from it.
Fuzzy head yes.
Feel dizziness and sick at times yes.
Eyes go out of focus yes.
Bad headaches yes.
I would say the pain you are getting in your neck when you try and hold your head straight is inflammation and being the time you have been suffering it is probably fusing.I know it hurts but keep moving it and stretching it.
Discuss it with your Rheumy he should show you some mild stretching exercises that will help.
You must also remember to keep your neck muscles as strong as you can remember your head is very heavy and puts a lot of strain on your neck.
Kevin

Edited by kevin_A (08/04/10 08:56 AM)

#406261 - 08/04/10 09:26 AM Re: fuzzy head - related to neck problems? [Re: ]
MollyC1i Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Brittany, France (since Nov 08...
CEMC - I go with Kevin on this one. Have the 'exact' same problems, and, due to the sub-lux of C2 over C3 - mighty unpleasant when it grinds and catches....EEeekkkkk.

'Might' find that wearing a *soft collar neck brace could help with the discomfort/pain when REALLY bad. Remember, the necessity to 'keep' those neck muscles as *Strong as poss is crucial*. Be advised, be 'cautious' on use of a neck brace - as the neck muscles are NOT helped by such use...

Wish you well -

Molly C (France)
Keeping on Keeping on

#406291 - 08/04/10 12:10 PM Re: fuzzy head - related to neck problems? [Re: MollyC1i]
Donette Offline
Gold_AS_Kicker

Loc: Idaho, USA
I have those feelings come and go. But the fuzzy mindedness seems to stick with me throughout. Since I've had this disease in its very active state I can't think sharply, making decisions is hard etc. etc. I have been attributing it to being so tired all the time, and having thoughts of AS consume my mind morning till night for the last couple of years.

I too have the neck probs Molly! Grinding and catching, yes! I couldn't describe the horrible feeling but you actually put words to it. It literally feels like my neck is dislocating. Takes my breath away and I just have to freeze and slowly move my head until it can move freely again. Aweful! Sometimes I wake in the morning and can't sit up because my neck can't hold up my head. This happens when I eat starch or sugar. Urgh. What a disease!

#406300 - 08/04/10 12:32 PM Re: fuzzy head - related to neck problems? [Re: Donette]
birda94 Offline
New_Member

Loc: Maine
Hi.
I agree with Donette. When me AS is active, I have a hard time thinking and making decisions. Sometimes I think people are talking in a foreign language cause it doesn't seem to make sense. The more tired I get the less things make sense.
My neck pops and grinds and I keep moving it, but at night the only way I can sleep is with my head leaned forward. I can't sleep with it straight.

#406307 - 08/04/10 01:08 PM Re: fuzzy head - related to neck problems? [Re: birda94]
kevin_A
Unregistered

Hi Birda94,
You say you sleep with your head leaning forward. I used to do that because of pain its now fused at 30 degrees and I will never hold it straight again.Just thought I would mention it.

Take care
Kevin

#406369 - 08/04/10 05:54 PM Re: fuzzy head - related to neck problems? [Re: ]
MollyC1i Offline

Yes - Kevin is right on . I also have this tendency to not only slouch when sititng (especially at the computer) but also, when in bed. Sleep with neck in a forward position - and have noticed that my posture is getting v much worse,and also, that I now have difficulty in straightening. Sigh.

Oh well - at least, I also tend to slump off the pillows during the night, and wake up fairly 'straight - but for how much longer...

la gnomette...

#406452 - 08/05/10 08:23 AM Re: fuzzy head - related to neck problems? [Re: MollyC1i]
Inanna Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
"La gnomette"

Is that something like Smurfette? grin Of course, Molly, that would mean you're blue. laugh2

I hear you on this. I fight every day to keep my head up on top of my neck, instead of jutting forward. To keep my shoulders from rounding even more than they have. I work at a computer all day and it's becoming increasingly difficult. I'm going to have to get strict with my routine again. While Brian was so ill with almost killer diverticulitis, torn achilles tendons, nearly fatal medication allergies, and then my sisters both being in crisis, then the dog being diagnosed with cancer, and renovations and now the puppy, I've had nowhere and no time to do my pilates as stringently as I should. Somehow. Some way. I have to, because while I've managed to keep my dance class going, the pilates is the key for me and my thoracic spine is screaming for it.

Warm hugs,

"Frost Moon" by Nene Thomas

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

#406459 - 08/05/10 09:04 AM Re: fuzzy head - related to neck problems? [Re: Inanna]
MollyC1i Offline

La Gnomette = 'female' gnome (gotta have female gnomes, otherwise NO gnomes...hahaha) I'm a geriatric gnomette!!

Ah - Pilates. Yes. Good stuff and *best for body.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
1 registered (SeritaV), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
25 and running out of state disability
by SeritaV
10/22/14 09:30 PM
25 newly diagnosed with AS, unsure abt treament
by SeritaV
10/22/14 08:42 PM
Enbrel - Swollen Ears
by MollyC1i
10/22/14 05:27 PM
Learning to swim