Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
seb #387820 04/13/10 08:12 PM
Hey Seb, I'm so sorry to hear about your family troubles. Boy, that is really rough. Tink has said everything so eloquently (awesome posts Tink) I don't really know what to add.

Chin up mate, we're all pulling for you.

Chelsea smile

[Linked Image]
Kiwi #387826 04/13/10 08:36 PM
Superior_AS_Kicker
Superior_AS_Kicker
Seb,
I really feel for you... you really have hit a rough patch. The diet and flaring are difficult enough to deal with, let alone the stress of what is going on within your family. That sort of stress can really affect you more than you realise at the time.
It is late for me right now and I want to say more to you, but will do so in the morning. Tinks has given you some fab advice. Hang in there dude!
hugss

"Traveler, there is no road, you make your path as you walk." - Antonio Machado
kurumi #388045 04/15/10 03:26 AM
S
seb Offline OP
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
S
Thanks Tink, Jroc, Kurumi, Kiwi, Inky and everyone else. I think i'd be in a bad place without all of your encouragement and support. I've read a few posts about diet not working for everyone and its a bit depressing. But i think the theory behind the diet suggests that it should work for the vast majority of people if not everyone. I've seen patches of success that last a few days where i have pretty low levels of pain so i think it will work, it will just take time, determination, positivity, and patience. I remember the first few days i started the diet and i wasn't too sure what to eat. I was effectively starving myself, not good i know but i was almost completely pain free. I still had stiffness but minimal pain. And now that i go back in time and look at my diary, i was eating alot of things that were off limits. I had a period of remission (sort of, low pain levels) and i ate a bag of salted cashew nuts. I then flared. I later discovered Cashews are starchy. So it makes sense.

I've definately seen success in patches. So i'll keep going and hopefully it'll just click. I miss feeling comfortable at school. I also miss hanging out with my friends and playing sport. The way i've been thinking about AS is to not fight the disease but to outsmart it.

seb #388067 04/15/10 09:26 AM
Superior_AS_Kicker
Superior_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: seb
The way i've been thinking about AS is to not fight the disease but to outsmart it.

Hehehehe.... yep. Seb, I know things are tough for you right now, but despite that you've got an amazing attitude. I have no doubt that you'll find a way. Hang in there! smile

"Traveler, there is no road, you make your path as you walk." - Antonio Machado
kurumi #388177 04/16/10 12:24 AM
S
seb Offline OP
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
S
I've started getting gut pain. Does this happen randomly or after i've eaten? It has been happening after i eat dark chocolate and macadamia nuts. Does this show i can't tolerate these?

Cheers,
Seb

seb #388189 04/16/10 02:06 AM
B
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
B
Wow Seb,I ate dark chocolate and walnuts today and felt bad.tummy kinda hurt..hmmm.weird
Shauna

Off antibiotics and now exploring mindbody healing.
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Hi seb.

there are many of us who do not tolerate chocholate (especialy the dark one since is full of cocoa, wich is full for lectints that can be bad for people with a disfunctional gut).

Same goes for most nuts.

You must be verry carefull at what you eat - keep a jurnal - note everything down. I think is a good method to check what can be wrong with your food.

All the food that triggers body response - like a bad tummy, bloating, randomised abdomen pain - i think you should avoid it, for the moment - even if it's not starchy. Not to speak of the food that gives you flares.

I think you will be able to eat those some time after you will be on this diet. As far as i read in this forum - most people are.

If it conforts you, I am on the same stage: darkchocolates and nuts drive my gut crazy. But i try verry hard to stay out of them.

34. Some rheumys say AS stage 1-2 some others say USpA
Also UC - rectocolitis.

UC curently in remission since feb 2011.
AS/USpA remission march-aug 2011. Flare - sept-nov 2011 (antibiotics). Remission now...

Modified NSD/SCD. Cook your own !

And the list of my medication has become verry short after some years on this diet smile
seb #388265 04/16/10 12:42 PM
Gold_AS_Kicker
Gold_AS_Kicker
Hi Seb

I find nuts really hard to digest too. If you don't chew them really, really well - which you usually don't! (I pop one in after the other)! They can give you a right old tummy ache.

I have eaten quite a lot of chocolate over Easter - milk and white (not dark) - I have tested with iodine, although I'm not sure how effective that is, and checked the ingredients carefully. I think I have found a couple of brands which are fine eg Lindt and Milka - but I have noticed that lots of other brands have got nasties in them like lectines and traces of soya, wheat and gluten. I only go for straight chocolate as well - with no nuts, raisins or anything else in it.

Hope you are OK, your list of foods which are fine for you to eat seems to be getting shorter all the time. It's hard work alright, isn't it? Hope you are soon back into your sports and feeling alright at school again. We are all cheering you on, here!

Take care of yourself and make sure you get plenty of headspace - I love going for a walk to clear my head. Indoors stuck in your room, things fester (I'm not talking about socks and leftover food!!) but outside in the fresh air and preferably somewhere where there are plants and trees and birds singing - you can lose yourself a bit and blow the cobwebs out of your head.

Chat soon,
Tink

KickAS and help others do the same!
Tinkerbell #388285 04/16/10 01:10 PM
B
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
B
Originally Posted By: Tinkerbell
things fester (I'm not talking about socks and leftover food!!)

You are so funny floor

Off antibiotics and now exploring mindbody healing.
S
seb Offline OP
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
S
I can definately see a connection between food and AS. I think i'm doing everything right but after almost every single meal at dinner, my body responds after i've eaten. It's not a coincidence. I've been a bit lazy not testing everything i put in my salad so maybe thats why my body starts aching after dinner. Still a bit disapointed i havn't seen amazing results but i'll keep going no matter what happens or what anyone says.

Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone smile

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (haydenk, 1 invisible), 133 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM