Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#383945 03/23/10 01:57 AM
F
finnari Offline OP
Veteran_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Veteran_AS_Kicker
F
before I started this NSD I experimented for a couple of years with gluten free eating. Sometimes I was very strict with it. I am quite sure it helped. There doesnt seem to be a lot of difference in the diets although it's much harder to be starch free.
Has anyone else had success with gluten free living?

Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
I have noticed that processed gluten free foods sold in stores are full of starchy ingredients.

Lots of gluten free food contains starch. Removing gluten simply means removing grains that contain gluten: wheat, rye and barley. All the root vegetables and other grains such as rice are acceptable on a gluten-free diet. So you can easily it large amounts of starch on a gluten-free diet.

Wendy

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Methotrexate, Celebrex, Plaquenil
Hello,

I agree with others... many other starchy foods without gluten. Personally I would not see any improvement being only gluten free, I am too sensitive to starch.

However, I do believe that gluten is the worst form of starch for me. I recall when still on meds that worked very well for me (azulfadine), that Wheaties breakfast cereal would cause me to flare. I did not eat wheat products afterwards.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
F
finnari Offline OP
Veteran_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Veteran_AS_Kicker
F
I did notice a real difference with my digestion when I went strict gluten free. Gluten really is like glue. It's tough to digest. I think society in general is lacking awareness of gluten sensitivity.

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
our grocery store has an entire gluten free / allergen free section now, and much of that food is "healthier" (more natural), less artificial ingredients, less HFCS. i buy a lot of things from that section of the store.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
My personal problem with gluten is that I am a celiac.

Wendy

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Methotrexate, Celebrex, Plaquenil
wendy,

my newest discovery:

http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/our_foods/cookies.html

tried the snickerdoodles, really liked them. made with sorghum flour and date paste as the first two ingredients.

will be trying some other flavors!

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
C
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
C
I've been gluten free for 12 years now with coeliac disease. However within a few months of being gluten free I realised I was also having problems with maize and started reducing that. Now I am at the point where my gut can't tolerate maize in any quantity (even the amount in pills). I've just decided to try NSD and while I haven't managed to get beyond a LSD I am pretty sure it is making a difference. The biggest difficulty for me is the starch that is in pills, and I take quite a few of those a day. I do have some of my meds as liquids, but the tradeoff is that they usually have nasty artificial sweeteners in. Can't quite decide what does the least damage - the sweeteners or the starch.

Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: cemc
The biggest difficulty for me is the starch that is in pills, and I take quite a few of those a day. I do have some of my meds as liquids, but the tradeoff is that they usually have nasty artificial sweeteners in. Can't quite decide what does the least damage - the sweeteners or the starch.

You're not going to like this... but it seemed like the starch in one of my supplements really was holding back my progress. There were no starch fillers listed so it took me a long time to realize I should test it with iodine, but when I did they turned BLACK. Stiffness finally seemed a bit better the week after I stopped taking it.

I'm getting most of my supplements from internet stores now, because there are certain brands that are intentionally starch-free. Would you like to list some of your problem pills, and let me help you search for starch-free versions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 36 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,367,361 hmmm
1,323,044 OMG!!!!
711,701 PARTY TIME!