Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#378288 - 02/22/10 04:44 PM Rheumatology appointment was the best
Gerri Offline
Colonel_AS_Kicker

Loc: Kitchener, Ontario Canada
Nothing accomplished but the appointment went well.

I was seen by one of Dr. Gladman's fellows (a last minute change), as the fellow who was to see me had to leave early. I thought here goes - it could only be down hill from here. Well the gentleman fellow - put me at ease right from the beginning. He didn't put me down for not being able to explain to him what was going on. He took more time - gentlely coaxing the answers he needed from me.

With a little humour, the appointment ended (two hours later). It seemed like only minutes had passed. As for the humour, he thought he heard this gentle knock, he said "yes come in". Well the knock he heard came from my ankles and hips. We both had a good laugh.

What was decided:

1. No Nsaid will be tried ever
a) because of sulfite allergy
b) and because of my bronchial asthma

2. No Enbrel yet until a decision has been made whether I have MS or not. (It was determined I have lots of Neurological stuff going on.) Dr. Gladman wants me on Biologics, for my Spondylitis. No meds until I see MS doctor. They want to move my MRI of brain up, from April to ASAP. If I have MS no Biologics will be offered. I am tired of going back and forth in regard to MS.

3. Dr. Gladman will be referring me to an Endocrinologist, for Adrenal, and Thyroid problems, as that is not her field.

4. Blood work, and other test is to be ordered ASAP, to help determine Porphyria.

5. Back, Ankles and feet bad, Dr. Gladman said that this was part of the Spondylitis. At this time I might be heading back to Ankylosing Spondylitis diagnoses. The dermitologist says I have no Psoriasis showing.

6. I got a scolding of sorts for not going immediately to a doctor, for my painful eyes. I told them that last time I went I was told likely Sjogrens, no further test was done. Both doctors said not to let this happen again. Now that I know I am dealing with Spondylitis, they want me to make sure I take better control of my eye pain.

The doctor (fellow), made me feel good about myself. For a short time today, I could say depression was lifted. I am so happy to have Dr. Gladman as my Rheumatologist. I would recommend her to everyone.

Reading over what I said, maybe a lot was covered. I just felt I had no final answers. Diagnoses of Spondylitis is good. (PsA or AS is still to be determined.)

Hugs to all

Gerri

#378290 - 02/22/10 04:58 PM Re: Rheumatology appointment was the best [Re: Gerri]
Sue22 Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Upstate NY
so good to hear that you had such a good visit hugss

even though some things are still question marks, so nice to see that you have a doctor that is treating you with respect and trying to help you. and with plans underway for the right testing to rule in / out certain things.

just so happy for you rainbow

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)

#378291 - 02/22/10 05:00 PM Re: Rheumatology appointment was the best [Re: Gerri]
kevin_A
Unregistered

Hi Gerri
Im glad it went well for you even if you still didnt get answers. Its good it made you feel better about your self.

Kevin

#378295 - 02/22/10 05:21 PM Re: Rheumatology appointment was the best [Re: Gerri]
jude2 Offline
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker

Hi Gerri,
DR Gladmans offsider sounds like a wonderful compassionate person and it is great that you had him.Had a laugh when you described the knock at the door!!Hopefully your next appt. will be soon and some headway will be made...great to be having these sort of doctors with you.Can say i have never had a 2hour appt.its always a bit of a rush feeling un fortunately.keep smiling,
jude2 rainbow

#378303 - 02/22/10 09:31 PM Re: Rheumatology appointment was the best [Re: Gerri]
Possi Offline
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Oklahoma where the wind comes...
Glad you were happy with your appt. So many of our problems are the same. I saw Neuro after Neuro at the beginning because they thought I had MS and then decided there was no MS but CNS Lupus. I can't take the NSAID's because of allergies. I have seen endocrinologists. My feet, legs, etc. just kill me...thought it was the RA. We seem to travel down some of the same paths. I have had several brain MRI's and yes, I do have one. crazy

I hope he figures out how to help you.

Hugs.
Possi

Possi

RUN WHEN YOU CAN,
WALK IF YOU HAVE TO,
CRAWL IF YOU MUST,
JUST NEVER EVER GIVE UP!

"A FRIEND HEARS THE SONG IN YOUR HEART AND SINGS IT TO YOU WHEN YOU CAN'T REMEMBER THE WORDS."

"A FRIEND LOOKS THROUGH YOUR BROKEN FENCE TO ADMIRE YOUR FLOWERS."

#378305 - 02/22/10 09:56 PM Re: Rheumatology appointment was the best [Re: Possi]
WendyR Offline

Loc: BC, Canada
Gerri - that's really fantastic given the run around you've been given before. Looks like you might even get some answers.

I hope that can find something they can treat you with, though. I guess if they can only decide you don't have MS then the biologics will be the most hopeful next step. Seems like you and Possi have a lot in common in terms of multiple autoimmune disorders plus problems with medication.

The best of luck with the next steps.

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Methotrexate, Celebrex, Plaquenil

#378338 - 02/23/10 05:13 AM Re: Rheumatology appointment was the best [Re: Gerri]
MollyC1i Offline

Loc: Brittany, France (since Nov 08...
Gerri - soooo pleased for you. Terrific consultation with a concerned doctor. Unremitting relief when one does not have to struggle...

Best with the continuing DX, at least you are in good and reliable hands. Well done your medical 'team' - one could but wish that ALL were like to!

Take care hon - lovely to hear you so upbeat hugss

#378354 - 02/23/10 07:54 AM Re: Rheumatology appointment was the best [Re: Gerri]
Inanna Offline

Loc: UK
Gerr, I knew you'd be in good hands at TWH!!!!!

Isn't Dr. G lovely? She's my sweetie's PsA rheumy and he is forever grateful to her (and to the other Dr. G there, who referred him over to your Dr. G, and who referred me over to Dr. I).

I'm glad they're being so careful with regard to the biologics and potential MS. As frustrating as it is for you, I'd hate to see you go into full-blown AS, you know? That's very funny about the knock on the door, by the way.

Warm hugs,

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

#378358 - 02/23/10 08:07 AM Re: Rheumatology appointment was the best [Re: Gerri]
fyrfytr187 Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Gerri
I am so happy that you had a good appointment with a doc that took the time to work out some answers. That has to feel wonderful..

Good luck with your follow-up tests, and I hope that you continue to have this kind of experience with the doctors.

#378374 - 02/23/10 08:59 AM Re: Rheumatology appointment was the best [Re: fyrfytr187]
mom2many Offline
Copper_AS_Kicker

Loc: Minnesota, USA
That sounds like an excellent appt. Finally, someone taking you seriously and following through.

I look forward to knowing what you find out.
Dx'ed AS May '09, suffering on and off since 1979
Dx'ed Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma May '08, relapse Oct '11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 93 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Weak legs
by fonzy
10/13/20 01:14 PM
Fever from AS flares
by sBrian
10/04/20 10:36 AM
VACCINE for COVID-19--CONCERNS
by DragonSlayer
09/30/20 10:29 AM
Are AS and Ulcerative Colitis connected at all ?
by MarkyT
08/13/20 06:14 PM
juvenile idiopathic arthritis Enthesitis-related
by Missalicia
07/31/20 12:21 AM
How many of us had / have covid?
by DonCA
07/23/20 03:19 AM
As Patient You Tube Channel- brand new. all welco
by kristenlittle
06/14/20 07:58 PM
(Views)Popular Topics