Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
My pain is so friggin bad now. My Pelvis is actually deteriorating at the SI joints, Pubis, and Hip. The bones in my Pelvis are rubbing together, pinching nerves, and causing lots of muscle aches. Unfortunately this is not a flare that will go away. This is an every-day-for-the-rest-of-my-life pain. My Doc has given me Morphine in pill form, which helps a LOT!! But, it knocks me out. I go right to sleep when I take it. I am a single Mom of a 5 year old, so I can't just sleep during the day. Naps are not an option. Vicodin, Darvocet, Percocet, etc don't even take the edge off my pain any more.

What else can I use during the day time to relieve MAJOR amounts of pain?

I've tried Castor oil packs, sunflower seeds, hot peppers, other foods with pain relieving properties, herbs, hot baths, rubs, creams, etc etc etc. This pain is so intense that none of the "home remedies" that I've tried work.

The medications that I take daily include:
Enbrel (bi-weekly)
Mobic
Lyrica
Zoloft
Omega 3
Prilosec

Any ideas, no matter how stupid you think they might sound are appreciated! Something has to change. I can not live like this.

Chat with me on Facebook! My name is Belinda Hoyt.

This is what I tell myself constantly to remind me to be grateful for what I do have:

Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; GIVE THANKS no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live. - 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Gold_AS_Kicker
Gold_AS_Kicker
It is a horrible drug, but prednisone helps me so much. The pred brings down the inflammation caused pain, then maybe your other pain meds could do their part?? Good luck. I am praying for you!

Also, hydrocodone doesn't make me sleepy, at the right dose (not too much) and I have heard marijuana is good for pain. I don't know if it is legal in your state?

Sometimes all I have is prayer, but it helps immensely.

K
kevin_A
Unregistered
kevin_A
Unregistered
K
Hi Belle
Im sorry I dont know what to suggest I think all strong pain killers will make you sleep. Maybe hot pads would help or ice. Im sorry I really dont know I wish I did.
I will let you know if I can find anything else.
Kevin hugss hugss

Hi Belinda,

The med that worked extremely well for me was azulfadine. Not sure if you have tried it in the past. After that the NSD diet for me.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
Fentanyl patches did not make me sleepy probably because they deliver a continuous amount of the drug, transdermally, with no ups and downs. Once your body adjusts to them, they allow you to function fairly normally.

Wendy

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Methotrexate, Celebrex, Plaquenil
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I think we all react differently. I have to stop the pain meds for breakthrough pain by early afternoon because they keep me awake. The MSContin (long acting morphine) doesn't make me sleepy or keep me awake.

I hope you find some relief soon.

Blessings.
Possi

[Linked Image]

Possi

RUN WHEN YOU CAN,
WALK IF YOU HAVE TO,
CRAWL IF YOU MUST,
JUST NEVER EVER GIVE UP!

"A FRIEND HEARS THE SONG IN YOUR HEART AND SINGS IT TO YOU WHEN YOU CAN'T REMEMBER THE WORDS."

"A FRIEND LOOKS THROUGH YOUR BROKEN FENCE TO ADMIRE YOUR FLOWERS."

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
i take a muscle relaxant, generic zanaflex, it does make me sleepy but ONLY for about an hour, and the muscle relaxant effects last for 5-6 hours. if any of your pain is muscle spasm / tightness pain, might be worth adding to the mix. they also gave me lyrica for "muscle pain" but it gave me migraines without making a dent in my pain, zanaflex much better for my muscle pain.

depends on where your pain is. a lot of mine is more topical, the part of the SI joint near the surface at the top, tendons and ligaments, muscles, and for these, ice helps me a lot, but of course, not really a solution. if its one thing, can strap my velcro'ed ice packs on that part of my body, but if its multiple areas, not really very useful. however, ice seems to work for my more acute pain better than just about anything else.

some people find a TENS machine useful. it wasn't powerful enough for me, but an IF stim machine ("TENS on steroids") was though insurance won't pay for it because its "experimental" here meaning there is no proof that it works...funny, they should just ask me.....i'll write a letter of rebuttal.

fyrfytr187 (chris) had a spinal cord stimulator implanted, maybe something like that?

a general thought....have you been to a pain management doctor / center? some people have had a lot of luck with that, others not as much, but it may be something to consider, if you haven't already.

i know some, if not all of this, may not be useful, but just thought i'd write down some of the things i could think of, just in case.

i'm so sorry you're in this much constant pain, wish there was something i could do to take this pain from you.

Last edited by Sue22; 12/26/09 06:43 AM. Reason: correct info, more info

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
M
New_Member
New_Member
M
I personally have not used morphine however it is my understanding that you have to use it every day for a week or two before the sleepiness goes away. It will decrease every day you use it however the pain reliving effects will last a long time maybe years. Have you tried taking it at night until you grow tolerant to the sleepiness?

Hi Belinda,
Looks like your med list is quite a strong cocktail similar to what many of us take. It would knock a common elephant into a coma in nothing flat.

The thing with pain meds is that knocking you out is what they do for the most part. And actually morphine isn't that huge of a pain killer in normal doses. As with any medication your body has to adjust to it, so you don't feel the tiredness. And finding one that you can adjust to takes some trial and error, if you are going to stick with oral medications. I have a friend that can dissolve vicodin tabs under his tongue like candy and function just fine. While after some time I can take vicodin without the side effects.

As Sue mentioned I have a spinal cord stimulator implanted in my back. It sends electrical signals, that I can control through a remote control, to the nerves at the spinal cord. This disrupts the pain signals sent to the brain and what I feel is a vibrating sensation in the affected area. While some mild pain may still break through it has brought my pain levels in my back to a tolerable level. I still have times when I get break through pain, but they are much fewer and not nearly as bad as they used to be. It is not a cure all for all people, but most can get at least some relief from them.

Another route is a pain pump implant. With the pain pump a med such as morphine is used, but instead of the 5 or 10 mg that you would take orally, you get an occasional 0.5 pr .10 placed right on the pain center, not systemically like a pill. So the dose is far less and the side effects are much less if not non existent.

I would highly recommend a consultation Pain Management Clinic that specializes in orthopedic/spinal pain. And don't take this wrong, but part of that management can be working with a psychologist that specializes in helping people with chronic pain. They help you cope, not head shrink you like most people think. It is actually a required step in the evaluation process to get a stimulator. And I was surprised at how helpful it was in giving me other coping methods and another person to reach out too.

Last edited by fyrfytr187; 12/26/09 11:45 AM.

Keep Kickin'AS
Chris

J
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
J
I agree with Wendy.

The patches are a great way to go.

I'm on Norspan 20mcg which only needs to be changed every 7 days.

I've found a presentation on all the patches:

http://www.anzca.edu.au/fpm/events/fpm-events/3_D%20Reeves.pdf

I ache, therefore I am

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!