Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#357077 - 09/15/09 03:36 PM NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Kiwi Offline

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
Hi y'all. Not sure if this has been posted before... it's from Bruce Fife's book "Cooking with Coconut Flour".

These are really yummy. My little 3 year old nephew insisted on taking my last batch home with him after he came to visit, hehehe

COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

1/2 cup (100g) melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups dessicated/flaked coconut
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips/drops
1 cup sifted coconut flour

Mix together butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt.
Stir in coconut, chocolate chips and coconut flour.
Drop batter in spoon-size mounds 1 inch apart on a lined or greased cookie sheet.
Flatten slightly with with a wet fork or spoon.
Bake at 375 degrees F (190 C) for 20-25 mins.
Makes about 24 cookies.

Edit: 20-25 mins baking time may be too long. Try checking them after 15 mins.

Edited by Kiwi (04/29/10 06:57 PM)

#357078 - 09/15/09 03:43 PM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: Kiwi]
bea_arthur_itis Offline
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker

Loc: TX,USA
yummy! i do love coconut flour. bought my choc chips today!
On low dose flagyl for over a year,(went on it Jan 2010) found my doc (thanks to John's advice) on roadback.org. I couldn't sustain diet anymore,but thanks to God and flagyl, I forget I have AS most of the time and run every day! smile

#357079 - 11/12/09 02:27 AM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: bea_arthur_itis]
Linella Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker

Loc: Canberra, Australia
I just made these. Very easy and quite tasty. I did burn some after only about 15 mins in the oven? Mind you, my oven's not very good.

I do find coconut flour baked goods a tad dry. But I'm very happy to be eating biscuits tonight! Thanks for the recipe!

#380994 - 03/08/10 08:28 AM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: Kiwi]
Tinkerbell Offline
Gold_AS_Kicker

Loc: Fairyland
Hi Chelsea

Made your cookies this afternoon..

Only one question...

Will there be any left when kids get home from school?!!!

They are soooooo gorgeous!

I made them with white choc and dark choc chips (tested clear with iodine when cooked - I did not enjoy sacrificing a single crumb of that cookie to test the iodine on - I can tell you!!)

Thank you so much for posting this recipe (and your others).

I like almond but -
1. it's only Low Starch and
2. it's very rich and you get almond overload very quickly.

You've introduced me to a whole new world of baking!
I will have to amend my profile accordingly...

#381038 - 03/08/10 01:26 PM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: Tinkerbell]
Kiwi Offline

YAY! clap

#382054 - 03/12/10 06:48 PM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: Kiwi]
jake777 Offline
New_Member

questions: I'm new to the NSD and am wondering how this recipe squares with the list of foods contained in the main page of this website. In the column that reads foods that are bad for AS, butter and cocunut are listed. I'm assuming they don't contain starch, since someone earlier said they tried the iodine on them.....Am I missing something? Is the list of foods on the main web page not necessarily related to starch?

Also, this recipe sounds amazing, went to the store to buy the ingredients but couldn't find any cocunut flour. Does anyone in the states know if stores generally carry this or do you have to order it online?

Thanks

#382061 - 03/12/10 07:37 PM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: jake777]
jet
Unregistered

Hi Jake, these cookies are no-starch. plain old butter has no starch and coconut has no starch also. as to why they are on the bad list of foods for AS..im not too sure. coconut flour can be substituted by sifted shredded coconut - taste heaps better too.
use vitimizer to munch up the coconut then work it threw a sifter or strainer...then you have your coconut flour!! sorry im not in states -dont know about ordering online. gl with the NSD. pimp

Edited by jet (03/12/10 07:45 PM)

#382112 - 03/13/10 02:35 AM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: ]
Tinkerbell Offline
Gold_AS_Kicker

That's exactly what I do!
Grind up shredded coconut and sift - works fine.
Can't find the flour here in France.

The AS Food Guide needs to go to avoid confusion! We were talking about this the other day.

#382145 - 03/13/10 10:34 AM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: Tinkerbell]
mcm Offline
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker

Loc: Georgia
Hey Jake - don't know where in states you are - but i find it at Kroger's natural food section, whole foods and the local health food store, which didn't carry it but i asked and they ordered it and now carry it. They're all the same brand - Bob's red mill, but hear great things about the online stuff from Tropical Traditions and pricing usually better.
Grinding sounds good too, definitely fresh ground blanched almonds taste better than the store bought almond flour.

#382537 - 03/14/10 09:17 PM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: mcm]
SJLC Offline
Iron_AS_Kicker

Loc: CA, USA
Originally Posted By: mcm
hear great things about the online stuff from Tropical Traditions and pricing usually better.

Tropical Traditions also has prompt delivery and good customer service!

But it's probably best to get their coconut flakes and grind it yourself like Jet and Tinkerbell do, think that is the most economical and has even less starch too (see http://www.kickas.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=382536#Post382536 for details).

#382541 - 03/14/10 09:41 PM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: SJLC]
Kiwi Offline

Originally Posted By: SJLC
But it's probably best to get their coconut flakes and grind it yourself like Jet and Tinkerbell do, think that is the most economical and has even less starch too.

Nah, it's nowhere near the same. I tried the same thing at first as for ages I couldn't get my hands on real coconut flour unless I wanted to pay mega-bucks and get it shipped here to NZ from the USA. I used a spice/coffee grinder but it doesn't get it anywhere near flour fine-ness. Real coconut flour is really really fine and powdery...almost like white wheat flour. If you make your own you'll have a bit of trial and error adjusting the recipes to work.

There is nothing added to it...it's just pure coconut and it is COMPLETELY safe and NOT starchy. I am defiantely sure of this as my husband Jon is SUPER sensitive to starch and he eats coconut flour products most days.

It may be just the Tropical Traditions brand that has a problem. The stuff I buy is imported from the Phillipines and have NEVER had a problem with it.

Edited by Kiwi (03/14/10 09:51 PM)

#384819 - 03/27/10 03:18 PM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: Kiwi]
finnari Offline
Veteran_AS_Kicker

Loc: phoenix
These coconut cookies are a staple for me. Gives me the taste of eating the foods I cant. Nobody in my family though will touch the stuff. The kids and wife just dont think it tastes that great.

#385032 - 03/29/10 12:50 AM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: finnari]
jake777 Offline
New_Member

Like Finnari, this recipe is a staple for me as well, thank you KIWI! One thing I do like to do is add a couple extra tablespoons of brown sugar, and I double the dose of vanilla extract (using good vanilla mind you, doubling it might not go so well with cheap stuff). Seem to come out a little sweeter, and I think the extra brown sugar helps keep the cookies a little more moist, as coconut flour tends to produce a rather dry product.

I've found that this recipe makes about two baking sheets of cookies (two batches), I tend to keep one batch fresh, and I freeze the other. I had never eaten a frozen cookie before, but man are they good! I also like to cutch the frozen cookies up into chunks and mix them with a little cool whip, oh so delicious.

#385048 - 03/29/10 03:46 AM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: finnari]
Tinkerbell Offline
Gold_AS_Kicker

Hey Finnari

If I do any no starch baking EVERYONE wants some in my family! We all prefer the coconut cakes, almond cakes, coconut cookies, brownies and caramel squares etc. So I am cutting down on how much traditional baking ingredients I buy and making more starch free to accommodate the children! They love the taste of almonds, and coconut in particular so I am lucky if I get anything to freeze at all!!

I always make my Mum cakes and lately she says "you are making a starchfree one arent you?" we have found (being cakelovers) that you can have once slice of starch free cake and feel satisfied and comfortable - with floury cakes you always want another slice and then feel bloated and like you have over-done-it.

I make Chelseas cookies with ground desicated coconut instead of flour (because I can't get it) and I use white chocolate chips because I think they go so well with coconut. I have tested the brand I use and it seems to be fine - moreover I have not had any ill effects from it and I have certainly eaten plenty of cookies, before the gannets get them all!!

It can't feel nice that your alternatives are not endorsed by the family, this can make you feel like your stuff is not as good - but at least you get all those lovely cookies to yoursef on the plus side!

My husband started off turning his nose up a bit at my diet - but generally he eats the same as me now, having salad or veg with meat instead of any rice, potato or pasta.

The problem with starch is that is is addictive - that's one reasons why it's so hard to give up. But when you do, I think you appreciate other foods and flavours more. Starch = stodge to me and I'm better off without it.

Edited by Tinkerbell (03/29/10 04:01 AM)
Edit Reason: addition

#389988 - 04/27/10 10:53 PM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: Tinkerbell]
seb Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker

Loc: New Zealand
Hey Chelsea,

do you grease or use baking paper? Just not sure cause paper is starch so i prefer to grease with olive oil. Also would these still taste ok without the chocolate? Maybe cranberries or something instead. Im not sure if i can tolerate chocolate and i dont really feel like experimenting, especially since i can now play sport!!

#389992 - 04/27/10 11:28 PM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: seb]
Kiwi Offline

Hi Seb, I use baking paper. The starch in paper is no problem when baking. It's so much easier cleaning up too!

These cookies would be great with sultanas I reckon.

If you bake these cookies just watch the cooking time. I've burnt them a couple of times or over cooked them so they were a bit dry. Better to do it for 15-20 mins.

#390277 - 04/29/10 04:46 PM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: Kiwi]
Donette Offline
Gold_AS_Kicker

Loc: Idaho, USA
tee hee! i just burned my first batch. i'm still eating them but yeah, even 20 mins was too much.

#393764 - 05/18/10 09:13 PM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: Kiwi]
naj Offline
Diamond_AS_Kicker

Loc: U.S.A.
I was going to make these again, but was feeling super lazy, so made them as chocolate chip cookie bars. Like brownies, you know? I had no butter and so I used coconut cream. It worked very well. Your recipe rocks and thanks again. : )
Jan

#452095 - 09/14/11 10:56 PM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: Kiwi]
sunnypower Offline
Copper_AS_Kicker

Loc: usa
Wow EEEE I made these tonight but substituted xylitol for brown sugar. They turned out more cake like and a bit dryer than expected but they were so so good. They also didn't really spread they just kinda stayed the shape as they were when I pressed them down with a spoon.

Does the brown sugar make them more chewy or moist or soft?
And do they spread more when baked?
Just curious.

Thank you so much for the recipe!

#452098 - 09/14/11 11:14 PM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: sunnypower]
Kiwi Offline

Brown sugar makes them more softer and moister. I use white sugar as it makes them slightly more crunchy.
These are not a very crunchy cookie...quite soft.

No they don't spread at all.

If a bit dry maybe cut down the cooking time a bit or tinker with the butter measurement. I usually do a half batch because Jon only likes them super fresh and I make them really small bite size (about 1.5 inches round)and I cook them for 15 mins.

#452100 - 09/14/11 11:32 PM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: Kiwi]
sunnypower Offline
Copper_AS_Kicker

Loc: usa
Don't get me wrong, they were YUMMY lol but I will try adding a bit more butter. I would love to use the brown sugar if I could but it would just be too much. I did half the batch as well b/c I didn't wanna have a bunch of cookies I can't have lying around upsetting me.

I will try making them a bit smaller too.. see how that goes. Mine were quite big I think.

#457519 - 12/04/11 08:12 AM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: Kiwi]
Dusty1 Offline

Loc: West Austalia
Tried these.... Awesome.. Thanks for allowing a luxury back...

#457551 - 12/04/11 06:20 PM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: Kiwi]
naj Offline
Diamond_AS_Kicker

Loc: U.S.A.
mmmm!

#457577 - 12/05/11 08:13 AM Re: NSD COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES [Re: Kiwi]
Dusty1 Offline

Loc: West Austalia
Damn mother in law likes them as well now.... Going to have to bake 2 x a week..To keep up.
laugh.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dotyisle, Kiwi 
Who's Online
2 registered (Paul_in_MD, 1 invisible), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Hi Friends..
by Possi
09/20/14 02:37 PM
Paleo Autoimmune
by rippin
09/19/14 08:17 PM
Looking for AS writers!
by leotrask
09/19/14 07:33 PM
Attempting to drop NSAIDs by fasting